Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Feature Info, Trailer Attachments & REAL Credit Offsets   » The Lion King (SR or SRD)

Author Topic: The Lion King (SR or SRD)
Michael Brown
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-15-2002 12:45 PM      Profile for Michael Brown   Email Michael Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-15-2002 03:02 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
70mm

There was one print made, reportedly it was silent and the audio was interlocked from a 35mm SRD print.

5 reels
1.85 matted flat
(no idea on shipping)
Buena Vista
Technicolor lab
------------------------
35mm

There were Dolby A prints, Dolby SR prints and a select few SRD prints.

5 reels
1.85 flat
TES depot
Buena Vista
Technicolor lab

(no DTS or SDDS tracks on these prints)
------------------------
16mm

3 reels
optical mono
(not sure on the rest)
------------------------
Super 8mm

3 reels
Magnetic stereo
Derann lab

That help?

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-15-2002 07:20 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad,

From the bowels of the RAMT archive, I bring forth this post from Theo Gluck who worked on LION KING at Radio City.

We made three 70mm prints for TLK @ RCMH. All were printed 2 points
lighter (NOT four). That printing density was approved by the creative team. These prints were made by Technicolor from a 65mm internegative (pulled from the timed/production 35mm interopositive). They were all striped and sounded in Dolby SR with split surrounds. The striping was done by Kodak/FPC (as Magnacraft had closed by then). The prints were sounded at Todd-AO, Hollywood. The prints were also sounded ONE FRAME ADVANCED to compensate for the fact that there is a nearly 200 foot throw from the projector gate to the plane of the screen. Remember, the screen is set back on the stage; it is NOT at the very front of the house.

Two platters were installed in the booth. Projector # 4 ran the plattered 70mm print, while projector # 5 ran a plattered 35mm SRD print. The gang at RMS did all of the selsyn motor installation work, with great cooperation from the RCMH electricians.

A system test reel for sync was done using Reel 1AB of ALADDIN (blowing up to 70mm from a 35mm dupe) and a new SRD reel. An extra TLK Reel 1AB was also made for testing as well, so we wouldn't have to constantly screw around with the platters. I believe only the first part of that reel was ever sounded; the latter half of it sits in my office.

For the premiere night, AND THAT NIGHT ONLY, projectors 2 and 3 ran a
back-up 70mm print reel-to-reel, with an operator at EACH machine. They started and stopped based upon the cues on the plattered print. The lamps were (not) lit, the dousers were closed and they stood by their machines that entire Tuesday night....just in case. The third print was ultimately resounded in normal sync (I checked it back on Stage A @ Todd-AO one night( ...MAN that was great!) and I believe it ultimately went off to Europe.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-15-2002 09:17 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, I stand corrected on the 70mm data then.

Are any of these 70mm prints available for repertory booking?

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-16-2002 01:18 PM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael

the 35mm print we just ran in the festival here in Bradford was Dolby A ..and this is a newly struck print!

Michael Brown
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-16-2002 03:32 PM      Profile for Michael Brown   Email Michael Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I noteed it was analog by the sound of the speech.

On another related note, was it my imagination or was Sidewalks of New York playing in analog also?

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-17-2002 05:00 PM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That one was SR .

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: