Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Feature Info, Trailer Attachments & REAL Credit Offsets   » Cleopatra (1963) (request)

Author Topic: Cleopatra (1963) (request)
John Lasher
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-26-2003 06:25 PM      Profile for John Lasher   Author's Homepage   Email John Lasher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Edit]
35mm version:
Scope
Mono(4 Track Mag. Available)
192 Mins.

How many reels?
[/Edit]

[ 01-27-2003, 11:09 PM: Message edited by: John Lasher ]

|  IP: Logged

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 01-27-2003 10:33 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The original roadshow prints were 70MM Todd-AO 6Track Mag Stereo.
Roadshow prints were 243 mins., cut prints 192mins.
35mm prints scope mag/opt 4track stereo. (no noice reduction)

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-27-2003 11:18 AM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The original roadshow prints were 70MM Todd-AO 6Track Mag Stereo.
Roadshow prints were 243 mins., cut prints 192mins.

Bill, only for about the first week of the roadshow. The film lost 20 minutes by week 2 (this has been well-documented). And I THOUGHT (but I could be wrong about this) that a few weeks later it was whittled down again to the 192 minute length even in the 70mm roadshow prints. The world premiere cut was used, however, for the 90's VHS, LD and DVD release (while the overtures, etc were NOT on the letterboxed LD, they somehow were included on the pan-and-scan VHS tape!
When I saw the film in 1976 at San Francisco's El Rey Theatre (double-billed with The Robe), the theatre had scheduled the times assuming the full World Premiere length. It was, of course, the 192 35mm 4-track stereo version (disappointingly,. The Robe only showed in optic mono).

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 01-27-2003 11:46 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The other post was to say that the roadshow prints started out
at 243 mins. I did not say anything about the cuts. Because
Fox has had different prints available over the years. One of
the last times Cleopatra played in 70MM in Hollywood, was at
the Egyptian in June of 1971. (On the 80 foot screen)

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 01-27-2003 11:54 AM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw the full version of "CLEOPATRA" during it's Road Show engagement at the Kuhio Theatre in Honolulu in Todd AO 70mm Six Track. Yes, the video is the original longer version but if you bought the DVD when it first came out, it is missing the exit music due to an oversight. I do not know if Fox is still offering to replace the second disc in the set with the exit music but I was able to get a copy after I called a special (800) number soon after the disc was released. All current DVDs of the movie in stores should now have the exit music. By the way, I recently lost almost all of my Fox DVDs to theft but "CLEOPATRA" was not one of them.

-Claude

Joseph Pandolfi
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-28-2003 04:13 PM      Profile for Joseph Pandolfi   Email Joseph Pandolfi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The label on my VHS tape is 243 minutes.

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-28-2003 04:41 PM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Which matches what I said about the VHS release being the world premiere length as stated by Bill Gabel in the above post. Of course, since I haven't really handled this print, I have no business responding in the first place. [Smile]

[ 01-30-2003, 08:37 AM: Message edited by: Paul Linfesty ]

Jeffry L. Johnson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-31-2003 10:11 AM      Profile for Jeffry L. Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeffry L. Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The "American Film Institute Catalog, Feature Films, 1961-1970" lists the running time as "243 min. [Cut to 222 min.]" It also notes: "Opened in London in Aug 1963; running time: 215 min."

Michael Brown
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-31-2003 06:25 PM      Profile for Michael Brown   Email Michael Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The label on my VHS tape is 243 minutes.
Um. Frames per second difference between video and film?

[ 07-29-2003, 12:09 PM: Message edited by: Michael Brown ]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: