Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Feature Info, Trailer Attachments & REAL Credit Offsets   » Boogeyman (2005)

Author Topic: Boogeyman (2005)
John T. Hendrickson, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-03-2005 02:10 PM      Profile for John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Email John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sony Pictures
Flat (black matte) 1.85:1
5 Reels
SR/SRD/DTS/SDDS
ETS depot

Kodak 2883 Hi Magenta stock
Delux lab
RT: 89 minutes

Attached: The Cave

Loose: Guess Who
Fantastic Four
Constantine
High Tension

Ring 2 & Amityville Horror (listed on enclsoed sheet, but not included with my print)

IMPORTANT NOTE!!! There is a fade out on Reel #1. In order to make the proper cut, take heed of John Pytlak's recent post regarding the change in cue marking of Delux prints as of January 2005.

Make your cut 18 frames after the last cue-marked frame (or as stated previously, DeLux now has 22 frames to the end with the four frames of cues included. The cue marks are in the black fadeout. Also beware that this print is black matte, so watch your cut.

Disregard this and you will end up with a sloppy presentation.

|  IP: Logged

Richard Greco
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-04-2005 12:34 AM      Profile for Richard Greco   Email Richard Greco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Any suggestions for someone w/o a frame counter?
Are the frame lines easily seen when held to light?

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 02-04-2005 02:16 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you hold the film up into a very bright light you can see the dark shaded frame lines. Count down 18 frames from the last cue dot. Find the last cue dot and count four sprockets taking into account that there are 1 sprocket on one side of the dot and 3 on the other side. Then keep counting four dots as you inch the film down till you have counted 18 frames. Remember that the cue dots are positioned at the top of the frame.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 02-06-2005 03:08 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Or, if you are like me and hate counting frame lines that are near invisible, just get a piece of film with very visible frame lines and cut 18 frames and use it as a measure on your hard-to-see fade.

Are the cue marks white or very visible in the black frames? Cover them with a dot of india ink or even a black Sharpie marker on both sides of the film. There's nothing more distracting than cues on a totally black screen.

Alexander Smith
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-04-2005 04:46 AM      Profile for Alexander Smith   Email Alexander Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In an effort to confuse UK projectionists, Sony
have used Technicolour to produce the prints for
the UK.

I found that if you count 24 frames from the last
cue-marked frame, you'll have the last frame of
the reel.

I checked this on reels 2 and 3, but I agree with
the principle of using a bright torch under the
film to visualise the black matting.

Alex.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 03-04-2005 05:07 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
..grab you an old sprocket. Make standard 4 sprocket frame lines across the face of the sprocket with anything that will put white or black lines across it. Then find a frame line on the film to match the frame line on the sprocket and roll the sprocket over the film to where the necessary cut is to be.

Little tip though: hold the film tightly against the sprocket so the sprocket doesn't "jump teeth" over the film and throw the frame count off.

I've done this trick for years,even though I have a keen eye in seeing framelines.

This trick is great in making framelines on solid black film usage.

-Monte

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: