Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Feature Info, Trailer Attachments & REAL Credit Offsets   » The Godfather, Part I (1972) (2008 restoration)

Author Topic: The Godfather, Part I (1972) (2008 restoration)
John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 11-04-2008 03:21 AM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Godfather (Part I) (1972)
Robert Harris restoration (2006 work, 2008 release)
10 Reels
1.85:1 Flat (1.66:1 safe)
SR/SRD/SDDS/DTS (5 channel mix)
Cyan dye soundtrack (dual inventory; high-magenta also available per RAH)
Paramount Pictures
Kodak Color Vision Premiere 2393 stock [thumbsup]
Technicolor Lab
DFS Depot
No lab cues. SPLICE HERE markings on tails.
Francis Ford Coppola

"The film has already been made." -- Gordon Willis, ASC

Original release prints and the 1997 Special Edition are discussed in this thread: Requesting Print Info for The Godfather

Cans marked Paramount/DW, not sure if the Dreamworks specialty division of Paramount is dealing with this because it is a specialty repertory title, or DFS is just confused.

The 5.1 sound mix is indeed that, with stereo surrounds.

The restoration work by Robert Harris was begun circa 2006 and completed at Warner Brothers Motion Picture Imaging Jan-July 2007. 4K digital intermediate (4096x3112; that's 1.32:1).

R1 begins with several seconds of music on black film before Paramount Picures Presents comes up (almost an entr'acte).

R7 -> R8 changeover has black on both sides.

R10 restoration credits scroll into the CARA/Rating with the music continuing, fading to black, and then the music only ends with the Paramount logo.

The September 2008 restoration release accompanied new DVD and BluRay Disc home theatre versions, and played in limited theatrical engagements. Paramount issued a very limited edition run of Duratrans onesheets that look quite nice, though really require a backlight to be properly appreciated.

Digital Intermediate Rosetta Stone twice on each head and once on each tail (ARRIlaser filmout data on R10 tail; not included here):
 -

Original (1972) release publicity:
The New York Times, Sunday, March 12, 1972, p. D11
 -

The New York Times, Tuesday, March 14, 1972, p. 51
 -

The New York Times, Friday, March 17, 1972, p. 31
 -

The New York Times, Friday, March 17, 1972, p. 32
 -

I didn't run across any newspaper publicity for the restoration, but I did not look terribly hard.

Godfather Part II was also restored at the same time. I don't have a print and am not expected to anytime soon. Part III was not restored.

American Cinematographer did a nice Post Focus piece on the restoration (by Stephanie Argy) in May 2008.

==Print-specific info==
Print 9004 (#4)
Quality: Good (8/10)
Clint Phare cues
Cyan dye soundtrack
Some very light dirt (should clean off)
SRD soundtrack sees F/- on at least R1, other reels better. DTS runs fine.
Two sets of DTS discs.

[ 11-04-2008, 02:00 PM: Message edited by: John Hawkinson ]

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: