Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Feature Info, Trailer Attachments & REAL Credit Offsets   » The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (2012)

Author Topic: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (2012)
Shawn M. Martin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-10-2012 02:11 PM      Profile for Shawn M. Martin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
DCP:

Warner Bros.
Technicolor Digital Cinema
2D/3D, 24fps
Includes two 3D versions: 4.5ftL (standard light level) and 7ftL (high light level)
2048 x 858 (2K scope)
913 GB (total package size)
Run Time: 2:49:25
Credits Start: 2:39:20 (unverified)
5.1/7.1 Audio

Trailers (not on drive; it says to get them from the Trailers by Deluxe drive):
"Beautiful Creatures" #2
"Jack the Giant Killer" #2
"Pacific Rim" #1
"Man of Steel" #2 (2D/3D)

The paperwork lists the numerous, mostly color-coded drives (signified by the stripe of color on the drive) being sent out, depending on what version you're showing:

1.) Red - 2D/3D 24fps Combo, 4.5ftL & 7ftL (what we got)
2.) Pink - 3D HFR (High Frame Rate, 48fps) 4.5ftL
3.) Orange - 3D HFR 7ftL
4.) Yellow - French Dub 2D/3D 24fps Combo, 4.5ftL
5.) Green - French Dub 3D HFR 4.5ftL
6.) Blue - Spanish Dub 2D/3D 24fps Combo, 4.5ftL
7.) Purple - Spanish Sub 2D/3D 24fps Combo, 4.5ftL
8.) IMAX 3D 24fps & HFR

Technicolor is shipping all of these except for the IMAX, which IMAX will ship. Red, Pink and Orange also have 7.1 audio. The HFR versions can't be ingested on an LMS; they must be ingested directly to the screen server.

I could have sworn this was supposed to not only be 4K, but the first ever 4K 3D release.

|  IP: Logged

Jock Blakley
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-10-2012 04:19 PM      Profile for Jock Blakley   Email Jock Blakley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not that it's a very solid understanding, but my understanding was that the current DCI specs don't support 48 fps at 4K - which obviously rules out 48 fps 2D, let alone 3D (as the HFR 3D versions will effectively be 96 fps).

Be nice if the 24 fps 2D version could be 4K though.

Shawn M. Martin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-11-2012 10:01 PM      Profile for Shawn M. Martin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, your understanding is much better than mine.

I found out that Jim Jannard, the RED camera guy, was bragging a year ago that this would be 4K 3D "in several theaters". I shouldn't be surprised, since this wouldn't be the first time RED's claims haven't measured up.

Some actual file sizes:

2D 5.1: 262 GB
3D 4.5ftL 5.1: 303 GB

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 12-12-2012 08:27 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Shawn M. Martin
I found out that Jim Jannard, the RED camera guy, was bragging a year ago that this would be 4K 3D "in several theaters". I shouldn't be surprised, since this wouldn't be the first time RED's claims haven't measured up.
Sorry if that's off topic here, but that's not really RED's failure isn't it?

RED is offering equipment that can perfectly handle 4K or stereo 4K in HFR (just use two cameras). But there is practically no common Digital Cinema equipment out there that would come even close to the bitrates required for 4K HFR in 3D unfortunately.

Still, it is a pity that there is no 4K non-HFR 2D version available. I even wonder if the intermediates used are in 4K or just 2K.

Antti Nayha
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-12-2012 09:16 AM      Profile for Antti Nayha   Email Antti Nayha   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Someone at the RED forums claimed that they did the DI at ”native” 5K. The SGO Mistika system (which they used) is certainly capable of that.

Shawn M. Martin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-12-2012 09:22 PM      Profile for Shawn M. Martin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Marcel Birgelen
Sorry if that's off topic here, but that's not really RED's failure isn't it?
You're right, that shouldn't be put on them. This guy and his company and his cameras have just really rubbed me the wrong way over the years. "Obsolescence obsolete", using paying customers as beta testers, all that crap.

Sorry I took this so OT.

Antti Nayha
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-05-2013 07:20 AM      Profile for Antti Nayha   Email Antti Nayha   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Could anyone comment on the size of the HFR version? Thanks!

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 01-05-2013 01:20 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
File size was right around 475gb.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 01-22-2013 06:42 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The HFR version ingests and transfers just fine into/from a Doremi TMS. I noticed the warning not to do so after already doing it. To hell with waiting for a USB ingest on a 3D HFR 2 hr feature!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: