Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » The Scorpion King

Author Topic: The Scorpion King
David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 04-19-2002 04:21 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
04/19/2002, Regal Cinema World 8, Eugene OR, 12:00PM, #3, scope, digital sound (format unknown). Attendance about 10. The surrounds were dead for the entire show. Reported it early, but they never came on. Reel 2 was badly scratched from beginning to end (vertical black scratches appearing randomly anywhere in the frame for a second or two at a time, sometimes multiple scratches), but the rest of the film looked great.

Somebody else will have to provide a plot summary. I can't because nothing in the narrative of this movie registered. It was pretty pictures, endless battles, and lots of noise and bombastic music. Nothing else there. Oh, yeah, there were plenty of cheesy special effects. The Rock has 1/10th the screen presence of Schwarzenegger or Stallone, yet he is being hailed as the action movie successor to Arnold and Sly. All in all, a wasted hour and 45 mins.

|  IP: Logged

Daniel Boisson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-19-2002 11:21 PM      Profile for Daniel Boisson   Email Daniel Boisson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ok, well i'd have to pretty much agree with dave. This one was suppose to be a prequal to the mummy. In the scorpion king, the rock is a mercenary that is sent with his 2 other brothers to kill the emporer that is conquering and killing everyone. He is betrayed and his 2 brothers are killed. He his successful on his mission, picks up a girl at the end and becomes king.

Unike both mummy movies which were action with some humor, the whole movie seemed like a joke. Though, it did have everyone in the auditorium laughing. Some of the fight scenes were entertaining, but as a whole, i was disappointed. It seemed like the director was trying to make it like the previous 2 movies, but fell way short.

Anyone else?

------------------
3% Body Fat. 1% Brain Activity.

Chad Souder
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-02-2002 07:13 PM      Profile for Chad Souder   Email Chad Souder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did anyone happen to catch the camera man in the movie? It's somewhere around 50-55 minutes into the actual movie. It's in a scene after the Rock's leg is hurt and then some chick makes it better or something. They go to some village where all these people are walking around. In the middle of the screen horizontally, and about 3/4 of the way down vertically, all of a sudden this guy in a white t-shirt and black cap pops out holding a camera. Pretty funny stuff, and I imaging it speaks for the quality of the movie.

------------------
"Asleep at the switch? I wasn't asleep, I was drunk!" - Homer Simpson

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: