Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Punch-Drunk Love

Author Topic: Punch-Drunk Love
Mike Schindler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-09-2002 01:06 AM      Profile for Mike Schindler   Email Mike Schindler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is such a beautiful beautiful happy movie. It's really nothing more than a simple joyous love story. There is no forced melodrama, no cynical views of the world, nothing like that. It's just wacky fun.

P.T. Anderson has picked up where he left off with MAGNOLIA. There definitely seems to be a progression to his career in terms of themes, subject matter, and storytelling techniques. I love the idea that things don't need to make sense. They can just happen. No explanation is necessary, because really, what good would it do? Fantasy and reality are interwoven and it's hard to tell where the one ends and the other begins.

I can't remember the last time a movie left me with such a feeling of overwhelming happiness. I wish more movies like this were made. I can't wait to see it again and again.

|  IP: Logged

James R. Hammonds, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-09-2002 02:22 AM      Profile for James R. Hammonds, Jr   Email James R. Hammonds, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I cant wait till this comes to Houston.

------------------
Find me online
AOL: Dexter Caldwell
yahoo!: dexter_caldwell

"It is the opinion of the entire staff the Dexter is criminally insane."

Mike Schindler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-11-2002 03:45 AM      Profile for Mike Schindler   Email Mike Schindler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't stop thinking about this movie. It's such a lovely picture. It just seems to make everything in the world seem better.

Watching PUNCH-DRUNK LOVE is like watching the best Billy Wilder screwball comedy. The nature of this film is timeless. Its message is simple and universal. There hasn't been a movie this good for a few years now, and I hope that lots and lots of people see it, because it'll just make everyone happier. Not enough movies do that.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 10-11-2002 05:26 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Any idea when "Punch Drunk Love" is going to platform out to more theaters? I can't wait to see it. "Boogie Nights" and "Magnolia" were both great films, although few people where I live seem to understand the brilliance of "Magnolia."

Mike Schindler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-11-2002 07:57 PM      Profile for Mike Schindler   Email Mike Schindler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's supposed to go nation-wide next week.

James R. Hammonds, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-11-2002 09:34 PM      Profile for James R. Hammonds, Jr   Email James R. Hammonds, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The release schedule I have says November 1.

------------------
Find me online

Mike Schindler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-11-2002 10:59 PM      Profile for Mike Schindler   Email Mike Schindler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That would be extemely disappointing. But every place I've seen (including www.punchdrunklove.com ) lists it as 10/18.

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-13-2002 10:03 AM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's going to 75 runs on 10/18.

John Scott
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-14-2002 12:57 AM      Profile for John Scott   Email John Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw Punch Drunk Love at the Great States convention a month ago and loved it. Beautiful cinematography (3 scenes stick out here, the punch and fall, the Hawaiian embrace in shadow, and the bedroom discussion in shadow), and a suprisingly conventional romantic comedy love story with all the added PTA quirks.

The music is inspired, including the Shelly Duval "He Loves Me" from Popeye.

Even Sandler shows some range and depth in the first movie he actually tries to emote for, and there is some wonderfull chemistry (most notably the bedroom discussion) between him and Watson.

It expands out to 400 screens next week (the 18th) and goes wide on the 25th.

James R. Hammonds, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-03-2002 11:07 PM      Profile for James R. Hammonds, Jr   Email James R. Hammonds, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I enjoyed this movie.
It felt like a dream.

------------------
Find me online

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-08-2002 09:47 PM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Attendance: 2002/11/08 19:10, Regal River Oaks Cinema 8, Decatur, AL, Auditorium 7, DTS, Scope

All I have to say after seeing this is "WOW!". It's definitely not your typical Adam Sandler movie. The movie was quite bizarre and I loved the way that cinematography tricks were used to establish mood in so many scenes. Also, the movie was filmed with an anamorphic lens.

Highly recommended!

The presentation was flawless at River Oaks, as is typical ("Film Done Right").

------------------
Evans A Criswell
Huntsville-Decatur Movie Theatre Information Site

Aldo Baez
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-09-2002 01:46 AM      Profile for Aldo Baez     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen the He Needs Me scene so many times from upstairs I finally got around to watching the movie. I loved it. One of those movies you could lose yourself in for the 1.5 hours it is. NOthing else to think about except the simple beauty of loving and being with someone else. I rarely if ever buy dvd's but I will definately be picking this one up.

Brad Haven
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-30-2002 09:14 AM      Profile for Brad Haven   Email Brad Haven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is a very good film, i didn't like it as much as MAGNOLIA, but it would have to one the films of the year!
I saw ADAPTATION the following day and it's unfortunatly overshadowed it, which is a big shame because PUNCH-DRUNK LOVE deserves alot of after thought, but i look foward to seeing it again and again in the near future!

I would definitely recommend this film, even if you normally can't stand Adam Sandler, he's very good in this one!

Unfortunatly not released until 6th march in Australia [Frown]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: