Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Spider

Author Topic: Spider
Brad Haven
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-28-2003 11:34 AM      Profile for Brad Haven   Email Brad Haven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw SPIDER late last year, so my memory is a little hazy!
I went into this film only knowing that it was a cronenberg film with ralph fiennes starring.

Spider moves out of the mental institution, moves into a hostel (ex patients) and is haunted by memories of his past!

I liked this film, it was very bleak, but well crafted and very well performed. I wouldn't call it a riveting film, more a slow boiling character study.
I loved the cafe scene, it reminded me of a cafe i went to in blackpool in 99 [Eek!]
I would only recommend this film for people who are really interested!

|  IP: Logged

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-23-2003 05:39 PM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Princeton Garden Theatre, Princeton NJ, 3/22/2003, 5 PM show. Hall #2, attendance ~50 -- half older people and half Cronenberg fans.

Unless you've lived/worked with mental patients or are a Cronenberg fan you might not get what Spider is about. Keeping a notebook in what looks like some Asian language? Being infatuated with the gas tanks across the street? Creepy yet compelling -- not unlike eXistenZ, the last Cronenberg movie.

Spider is worthy also for having a gentle mother-son pairing and for the pub gals who love cats. You even hear the cat purr as he's cuddled. [Smile] Who wouldn't want to see a mother and son who love each other? And why are people so afraid of cats?

Presentation: Image was dark -- does Cronenberg have all his films shot this way? There was a recurring green scratch bottom center in the first 20 seconds of R6. Sound was good (Dolby Digital) though I heard a pop in a negative splice within R6. To top it all, the projector shut down halfway through the end credits (must have been a brainwrap).

Gunnar Johansson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-26-2003 04:21 PM      Profile for Gunnar Johansson   Author's Homepage   Email Gunnar Johansson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just got out from seeing it. Screening with me and two guys from the crew who books the films. They are going away tomorrow when we show it.
I liked it. Not a lot of action, or pace, but very nice. The whole film had a green feel and look to it, and some very nice twists towards the end. Maybe IŽll see some more of Cronenburgs work now, I liked the moving around with the charactersm and hardly even noticed it at first...
I had a similar crack in R6, weird, pretty dark picture, but no green scratch that I can remember seeing.
Thouroghly enjoyable if you donŽt have anything else to do, or at least nothing important

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: