Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Dreamcatcher (2003)

Author Topic: Dreamcatcher (2003)
David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 03-22-2003 12:27 AM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
03/21/2003, Cinemark 17, Springfield OR, 7:05PM, #16,  - . Attendance around 200. Excellent presentation. This film has a kickass soundtrack -- Play It Loud.

This is a nearly incoherent mess. No, it's definitely an incoherent mess. It's like they took footage from 2 or 3 different movies that were never finished and grafted them together. Some sequences work very well, others make no sense at all. There was unintended laughter in a few places from the audience. At least I think the scenes provoking laughter weren't meant to be funny. Hard to tell. It's also about 1 reel too long too. [thumbsdown] Oh yeah, don't want to forget to mention Morgan Freeman's Don King hairdo -- kind of bizarre.

The box office was advising customers of the short "Animatrix: Final Flight of the Osiris" playing ahead of the feature. It was a nice demonstration of computer graphics but not much more. The blue PG-13 rating card on the end of the short made it look like "Dreamcatcher" was rated PG-13 (it's R).

If you're playing "Dreamcatcher" at your theatre, play it LOUD because the sound mix is the best thing it has going for it.

|  IP: Logged

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 03-22-2003 12:45 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How about those big bushy eyebrows. [Smile] Ok, the Animatrix was cool but it got old quick. As for Dreamcatcher it started off with potential then became a mess. I found myself checking my watch many times when I screened it. The film lingered to long on certain things. A habbit that Lawrence Kasdan has that I wish he would break out of. My review is really short for this one because I really can't think of a lot of posative things to say about it. I give the film * star out of four.

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-22-2003 12:52 AM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello all. I did not really care for this film too much. Again, it started out pretty good with great characters, but towards the end it just fell apart. At a point, I just did not care what was going on. I felt Morgan Freeman had a very weak role here, but of course I'm sure it wasn't his fault. Yes, the sound mix was pretty good when it wasn't dropping out of DTS (see my post in Film Handler's Forum). I wish more mixes got this directional. As for the Matrix, it was well done and interesting. I do, however, reccomend the website that holds other episodes. The first one, in my opinion, is better than Final Flight of the Osiris. The animation, however, is just eye dropping.

AJ Garman

Jacob Huber
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-25-2003 02:56 PM      Profile for Jacob Huber   Email Jacob Huber   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was confused. This movie was decent up until a certain point; it was somewhat funny, and had a pretty good pace. After that point, though, it just became what David said: and "incoherent mess". It was like they just pulled random things out of their arses and threw them together saying "here's our movie."

*SPOILER?*
What the hell was up with the whole Dudditz/Mr. Grey "fight"? Dudditz turns into what looked like the excremental from Dogma and wrapped a net around him and kind of exploded into that red powder. What was that? And why did Mr. Grey speak with a British accent? The only reason I can figure is to differentiate him from Jonesy.

Don Bruechert
Mmmmmmmmm, bird!

- posted 03-30-2003 02:24 PM      Profile for Don Bruechert   Author's Homepage   Email Don Bruechert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought the beginning and ending were reasonably done, but they could have cut out at least 1/2 hour of the middle... it seemed like they just dragged it out so you thought you got a good deal for your buck. Of course we didn't get it so I had to drive to the Marcus 1/2 hour to the South to see it, and they played it so dang quiet it lost a lot of effect. I like my movies on the louder side, but even I never get up to "7". That had to be maybe a 4 or 5 they were running it at.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: