Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Saved

Author Topic: Saved
Scott D. Neff
Theatre Dork

- posted 05-18-2004 12:29 AM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Author's Homepage   Email Scott D. Neff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw this a few weeks ago at a promo screening that I may or may not have attended my mistake.

For those that don't know, Saved is a hilarious satire about a group of teenagers (Jenna Malone, Macauley Culkin, Mandy Moore and MORE!) attending a Christian Academy. Jenna Malone's boyfriend tells her that he's gay, and she takes it upon herself to fulfil God's plan by having sex with him until he's not gay anymore. Needless to say, the plan backfires and she begins to question her blind faith in God and religion.

The most interesting part about the screening I attended was that the invites that were given out by the distributor, were given to a lot of Christian teen youth groups. My friend and I sat in the theatre waiting to watch a lot of people walk out, because the movie does a lot of God bashing.

I was surprised to see that everybody stayed and enjoyed themselves very much. I'm not very religious and may have over estimated how religious others may have been attending the movie. And in its own way, the film really does offer a good cross section of opinions about God and religion, and definitely follows a liberal interpretation of religion and the bible.

Really... I just have to boil it all down to Mandy Moore throwing a bible at Jena Malone and screaming "I am filled with Christ's love!!!!"

GO SEE THIS MOVIE.

Or God will strike you dead.

|  IP: Logged

Richard Greco
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-13-2004 08:56 AM      Profile for Richard Greco   Email Richard Greco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok,saw this one at an AMC. I LOVE their preshow, no slides. It is a video screen. Very cool. I had many laughs at this and it actually taught a lesson at the end. A must see for teenagers and people who have very biased opinions.

Very good film, lots of laughs.

4/5

Note: The AMC cleaning crew came in while I was watching the credits and turned the big cleaning lights on. Not very cool.

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-26-2004 12:56 PM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brief review -- I can't post the original one I posted on a journal of mine since religious topics are off limits here.

I saw this movie last night at the local Regal Madison Square 12 and loved it. The movie did a great job of satiring the way some Christians (in a Christian school environment) solve problems with people in their groups. A gay guy is sent to a special place for "de-gayification" by his parents (a good line from the movie is one to the effect of "Mercy House is there more for the senders then the sendees". Back-sliders are ganged up on by the self-righteous ones, so if someone does have a problem, they can't let anyone in the group know about it, or they get turned on. Fortunately, the movie treats everything with humor, so the audience laughs instead of feeling sad. This was a very fun, refreshing movie to watch, regardless of one's beliefs. I very highly recommend it.

So, I'm saying I loved the movie without saying much about the religious issues (which aren't permitted). :-) I'm sure nearly everyone in their lives have known a "Hilary Faye" at some point.

I felt that the acting was very good, and it was so neat to see Macaulay Culkin in a movie again!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: