Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Broken Flowers

Author Topic: Broken Flowers
Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-13-2005 01:37 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A well shot, typically lethargic Jarmusch film sends Bill Murray's aging Don Juan character in search of the mother of the son who may possibly be seeking him out. While it was nice to see the characters disconnected from a central narrative, the film relies too much on what the audience doesn't know about Murray's relationships with these women. Everyone on the cast certainly shows their characters' traits, but only Murray's pot smoking, wannabe-detective neighbor feels really connected to the story.

Jarmusch (unlike Sophia Coppola) doesn't play Murray up as ultra cool in his disconnected acting style, and this makes the film bearable to ride out to the end; even though it leaves most of the hard questions up to the audience to ponder after the film's close.

Don't see it if you demand closure to a film. See it if you thought there was too much talking in "Sideways."

Viewed at Landmark's Uptown, Sunday 7:30pm show, nearly full house. Image lighting needs some work there, I've been told the problem lies with the screen, slightly worse than when I saw "March of the Penguins" there. SRD

|  IP: Logged

Don Anderson
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-21-2005 11:02 AM      Profile for Don Anderson   Email Don Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very likable little film. Kinda like watching Sideways without the wine! Interesting music, but it doesn't look like any soundtrack is available. Bill Murray fans will not be disappointed in the film.

Rob Ferreira
Film Handler

- posted 10-20-2005 03:24 PM      Profile for Rob Ferreira   Author's Homepage   Email Rob Ferreira   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know this movie's slightly old now, but my theatre just opted to pick it up (not sure why...)

I watched about 25 minutes and promptly fell asleep. Nothing doing in this boring ass film. I've shown it for a total of MAYBE 30 people. Not one person has had anything positive to say about it. It's boring, droll, and basically Bill Murray should reserrect his career from say 20+ years ago when he was not only a good actor, but ENTERTAINED people.

[fu] out of 5

Brian Michael Weidemann
Expert cat molester

- posted 10-20-2005 07:52 PM      Profile for Brian Michael Weidemann   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Michael Weidemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Boring, yet droll? I wonder how that can be.

Rob Ferreira
Film Handler

- posted 10-21-2005 12:13 PM      Profile for Rob Ferreira   Author's Homepage   Email Rob Ferreira   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
droll means comical in an "odd manner."

so it was boring, and i was using droll to describe the film's atmosphere/feeling.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: