Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Brothers Grimm (2005) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Brothers Grimm (2005)
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-25-2005 06:03 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
THIS MOVIE IS CRAP!!! Everyone responsible for this turd of a film needs to be beaten.

0 out of 5 stars (I can't review in negative stars, right?)

|  IP: Logged

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-26-2005 09:07 AM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad this is your site you can do what ever you want [Smile]

Jason Whitlock
Film Handler

- posted 08-26-2005 09:53 AM      Profile for Jason Whitlock   Email Jason Whitlock   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was expecting it to be funnier with Terry Gilliam behind this movie..

It really felt that the story took 1.5 hours to progress 5 minutes only to be quickly summed up in the last 5-10 minutes.

.5 out of 5 with the half point going to sound mixing and visual effects.. not the best i've seen, but the best part of this movie.. definitely not the acting or the story..

Paul Konen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-26-2005 12:12 PM      Profile for Paul Konen   Email Paul Konen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed, at least the people can't complain that the surrounds aren't working on this print. However, it gives them ammunition for when they see other dialog based features .

Christian Volpi
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-26-2005 12:42 PM      Profile for Christian Volpi   Author's Homepage   Email Christian Volpi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Movie was horrible. Worst two hours that I've spent watching a movie in a really long time. I will agree, though, that the sound is excellent.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 08-27-2005 05:37 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had no intention of seeing this. But now that I learned Terry Gilliam is behind it, I will have to go and see it. Gilliam is a genius, even though - or maybe because - he is often completely out of control and sometimes his own worst enemy.

Brian Michael Weidemann
Expert cat molester

- posted 08-27-2005 04:50 PM      Profile for Brian Michael Weidemann   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Michael Weidemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I didn't know it was Gilliam either. I might have to poke my head in and catch a few minutes of it. Just out of curiosity.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 08-28-2005 03:56 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, forget what I said earlier about genius. I just sat through the movie. It blows massively. Maybe Gilliam is burnt out. This is just a distant shadow of his earlier movies. It doesn't have anything of the visual playfulness and unleashed torrent of ideas that made some of his earlier movies really unique.

This is not really an adaption of folk tale material like Sleepy Hollow. The Brothers Grimm were two early 19th century scholars in Germany who collected folk tales and were among the pioneers of the science of linguistics. They didn't really go around chasing supernatural villains, but were more of the academic type. I don't know if their work is well known outside of Germany though.
The story here is entirely fictional and makes surprisingly little use of the vastness of characters and motives found in the fairy tales. There seem to be more icky bugs than characters in this movie anyway.

Still, a comparison with Burton's Sleepy Hollow does not seem out of place. We have a similar time frame, a visually similar surrounding with mysterious forests and villages full of scared people, a clash between reason and superstition, reality and the supernatural. The washed out look used to give some scenes an eerie, chilly remoteness and sense of isolation is quite similar too.
The main difference is that Sleepy Hollow was a cinematic masterpiece while this is just a embarassing waste of film.

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-28-2005 10:43 AM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This movie sucked so bad that Harvey Weinstein reportedly took it away and re-edited it ... only to give it back to Gilliam to edit again because his version sucked even more.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-28-2005 12:55 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, so far the best rating on this thread has been 1/2 out of 5 stars!

I tried to warn all of you!!! [Razz]

Brian Michael Weidemann
Expert cat molester

- posted 08-29-2005 01:20 AM      Profile for Brian Michael Weidemann   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Michael Weidemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Still not having seen it, I will take this opportunity to heed the warning. Consider it not to be seen. [Smile] I think I can trust this batch of comments.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 08-29-2005 04:35 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, don't let yourself be influenced by us. Maybe it is a ground breaking masterpiece, and we are simply too dim to understand that. Since you don't have to pay for it - you don't even have to specifically go to the cinema to see it, since you work in one -, why don't you watch it and let us know what you think?

Jason Whitlock
Film Handler

- posted 08-29-2005 05:50 AM      Profile for Jason Whitlock   Email Jason Whitlock   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
it's a great movie to test how well you can read your watch in the dark.. I was checking mine every 10 minutes or so during this movie.. figuring out how much longer i had to endure this movie.. since it was during a screening.

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-29-2005 02:31 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes- this movie blows chunks.

I read an article that the director wanted Johnny Depp in it and Miramax said "no". Matt Damon was informed that he was 'second choice' for his role. What the hell has Hollywood come to?

no stars for this one.

Eric Hooper
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-29-2005 05:42 PM      Profile for Eric Hooper   Email Eric Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OMG what are all of you talking about?

I am still LMAO!! I thought this was the best movie of the Summer. The cat in the fan was hilarious, as were many other parts. It kept me guessing what's going to happen next. I thought it was very original, good pace, great jokes, etc.

5 out of 5 stars.

I will say however, I saw this with a group, and about 30% of the group HATED it. The other 60% liked it, and 10% like me LOVED it!!!

Hats off as always to The Grand Lake Theatre in Oakland, CA for a flawless presentation.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: