Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Serenity(2005) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Serenity(2005)
Lee Michael Breese
Film Handler

- posted 10-01-2005 02:21 PM      Profile for Lee Michael Breese   Email Lee Michael Breese   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As a fan of the T.V series Firefly I understood more humor and jokes then general movie goers I believe. There was a lot of action I believed to have good charater development but the movie ran like it was just a 2 hour TV show without the commercials. Over all this movie pissed me off at some seens but when I left I was quite pleased with the whole movie. My one wish would have been if they would have done a better job of giving a better prelude of how earth died why there was a resistance of the goverment and why the hell they speak random Chinness. Anyhow 3 out of 5 stars. For average film goers

4 stars from a Firefly fan :-)

Theatre:Carmike Southridge 12
Aud#: 1
Sound: Stereo/Digital sound (Kepted cuting in and out)
Picture Problems:Only three huge scratchs in the first two reels and seemed like they were having sound problems and it would not stay in digital.

Service:I recieved the best service I have ever recieved at a Carmike Kudos to the staff that helped me :-)

|  IP: Logged

Erica Peterson
Film Handler

- posted 10-01-2005 04:59 PM      Profile for Erica Peterson   Author's Homepage   Email Erica Peterson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some of the back story behind the series and the movie is available if you watch the special features on the DVDs, or read any number of fan sites on the web. In the Firefly universe, the two predominant surviving cultures are English-speaking and Chinese-speaking, so most people are somewhat bilingual. The snippets of Chinese in the movie sounded a lot smoother (and had somewhat better pronunciation) than in the series.

I enjoyed the movie, but much of what I like about the Firefly universe (like more character development) is possible in a TV series, but not in a movie. Also, I missed the theme song. Ah well, still well worth the ticket price, and I'm sure I'll end up seeing it again [Smile]

Jennifer Pan
THE JEN!

- posted 10-02-2005 01:43 AM      Profile for Jennifer Pan   Author's Homepage   Email Jennifer Pan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Freaking awesome movie, loved it. I wish I had seen the other episodes besides the pilot when I saw that last week.

Jason Miller
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-02-2005 03:59 AM      Profile for Jason Miller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I too loved this movie. I hjave never watched the series, but I might have to check them out now.

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 10-02-2005 04:16 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CINEMA: Century 20 at Jordan Creek, West Des Moines, IA
AUDITORIUM: 12
PRESENTATION: Dolby Digital/THX
PRESENTATION PROBLEMS: Picture slightly shaky and out of focus
RATING: Two and one half stars (out of four)

After a bad lunch at On The Border (slogan: "Our Tortilla Soup...isn't..."), we walked over to the Century and picked up tickets. 45 minutes to showtime. We wander the mall. A youthful girl with great breasts and a Bosnian accent ambushes my wife and gets her to try some sort of lotion at her kiosk. Her kiosk is armed with a total of three aggressive sales people who are equally ambitious. I find nearby seating, pull out my phone, and successfully get in eighteen holes of video miniature golf.

In the auditorium, Wife #1 sits with her six-by-twelve bag of mall kiosk miracle cream wonder. I'm guessing she spent $30.

"So how much was it?"

"Fifty. But it'll be worth it if it works. And if it doesn't, I'll be out fifty bucks."

She ALREADY sounds like she's upset with herself for getting suckered in.

I've never heard of "Firefly", but it doesn't surprise me to find out this is based on a television series. This reminded me of when it's late at night, you're flipping channels, and you end up at Sci-Fi. There's some renegade action thing on that has every cliche ever used in any science fiction movie (or TV series) made since 1977 that didn't include the names "George Lucas" or "Steven Spielberg" in the credits, and yet there's something about it that's actually endearing, so you end up watching it. In this case, it was the wit.

This particular flick largely draws its style from elements of "The Fifth Element" and "The Matrix". It had some funny moments. It didn't leave me wanting to walk out. I can live with that.

Christopher Schneider
Film Handler

- posted 10-04-2005 01:18 PM      Profile for Christopher Schneider   Email Christopher Schneider   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Posted from another Forum

I, like many of you, were unfortunately the cause of a death. Firefly struggled to find the ratings necessary to survive network television. Not until it had been long cancelled and available on DVD did I attempt to watch the show. Based on the recommendation of one friend I delved into what would become a mysterious love affair with science fiction that I had missed. The show won me over right away, and I realized that I was part of the problem. I contributed to the death of a wonderful show by not watching. But this is a prime example of how fate works her magic.

Now, several years later a beacon has been lit. Its signal unstoppable, Firefly has returned, and its better than ever. I went to the earliest screening my local cinema had, 1:30 PM, and found it packed with rabid fans of the show. A few even sporting brown coats, possibly out of coincidence as it was a rather cold September day. I was expecting to like the movie as a fan of the show, but I did not expect the level of action and excitement that followed. The chemistry of the cast is stronger than ever, the dialogue cracks like a whip, and Joss Whedon makes a feature film worthy of the cinema, something that has been a rarity this year. This is by far one of the best movies I've seen in some time. I'm going for a second time this evening with two friends who had not watched the show, I'm interested in their reactions.

Addendum to my first post:

I viewed this film for a second time as I mentioned I would. Serenity is officially my number one film of 2005. I struggled with this for about twelve hours as I take my rankings very seriously, as do I my film watching (although some of my choices are questionable). Having seen this a second time I am convinced that no other film I have seen thus far has been this much fun to see, especially with a crowd. Fans or non fans, everyone gets involved in the movie, laughs at the right times, and gasps at others. The fight photography is a breath of fresh air in this age of MTV style quick cuts to emphasize a flurry of action. Here the camera sits back and lets you enjoy long takes of beautiful ballet like action. This is the mark of a director who grew up with and enjoyed films like Raiders of the Lost Ark, and other canon action films. It has been so long since I've seen action of this nature, where one can see a punch or kick land, not cut every ten frames. I cannot stress how much this movie impressed me and still does. It has gotten into my blood, and pulses hard letting me forget not a single moment, line, or tear.
While this year is far from over, and there are a small number of films I'm ravenously awaiting (Narnia, Potter 4) some of which I expect to have a major impact on my ranking system, now, at this very moment, Serenity tops the list. And I'm proud of it.

Reyhan Sadaka
Film Handler

- posted 10-04-2005 03:30 PM      Profile for Reyhan Sadaka   Email Reyhan Sadaka   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think seeing the movie twice really helped (once in a September sneak, then again at a midnight Thursday showing). For me, the big problem with the movie was that I hoped for a way to continue the TV show. I figured "Hey, if the movie's popular enough, SOME TV network might pick it up!" Sadly, the first time I saw it, my reaction was "Okay, this is Joss Whedon saying 'I'm taking my toys and going home.'"

Second time around, I was able to just sit and enjoy the movie - which was very well done. The sound and visuals were great, and the story - while not being super - was pretty good. 4/5 - but I still have a bit of tilt against it [Smile]

Joseph L. Kleiman
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-04-2005 03:57 PM      Profile for Joseph L. Kleiman   Email Joseph L. Kleiman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was never a fan of the TV show, but I loved the movie. It was perfect parts sci-fi, action, humor, and Western and extremely well written and acted.

Of course, I always thought Star Trek V was the best of the Star Trek films, so this was really my cup of tea.

On a very special note: this was the first time in years I've seen an auditorium in the highly ghetto Century Downtown Plaza full of nothing but geeks and nerds. In fact, all of them (except, unfortunately, me) were on dates. This is the perfect date film for geeks and nerds.

Lee Michael Breese
Film Handler

- posted 10-04-2005 05:39 PM      Profile for Lee Michael Breese   Email Lee Michael Breese   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I forgot about that they did not have the Firefly theme music my friend was pissed they didn't have it.

Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-04-2005 09:24 PM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I havent seen this yet, but based on these reviews, I'm gonna see it. But first, I think I'm going to rent the Firefly DVD's and see those episodes first. Sounds like thats the best way to appreciate the movie.

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-06-2005 12:00 AM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great Movie. A little different than the series, but not a lot. Nice visuals, good sound

"I forgot about that they did not have the Firefly theme music my friend was pissed they didn't have it."

You/he didn't sit through the credits or you would have heard it.

Chris MacDonald
Film Handler

- posted 10-06-2005 10:27 AM      Profile for Chris MacDonald   Email Chris MacDonald   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Seemed to me that as a Firefly fan, I really cared about the characters, but to the average movie-goer they seemed to feel detached and curious as to who these space cowboy's really were. I would have liked to have seen a real character summation on all of them, because they really are interesting. Over all the action scenes were good and the humor was satisfactory, even though I enjoyed the series more, the movie is definitely worth watching. 4/5

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-06-2005 02:21 PM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good plan Frank, it does help.
We've been showing all our friends the series for the last couple of weeks, getting ready for the release.

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-06-2005 04:04 PM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Greg Mueller
You/he didn't sit through the credits or you would have heard it
Ahh, but the song and the specific arrangement of that music was missing. Josh Weldon himself sang a rendition of it on the DVD extras, and the specific arrangement was well-thought out to reflect a slightly Asian influence (to match the occasional Chinese slang the characters give in to).

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-06-2005 08:11 PM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"did not have the Firefly theme music"

It didn't have the song, it did have the theme music

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: