Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Domino

Author Topic: Domino
Don Anderson
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-14-2005 02:38 AM      Profile for Don Anderson   Email Don Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This movie KICKS ASS!!!!!! The two hours went by quickly. Awesome use of color, and lots of grainy film!!! Interesting storyline, well developed characters. Ian and Brian from 90120 were a riot. Nice and violent, just the way I like it! [thumbsup] [thumbsup]

|  IP: Logged

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 10-14-2005 10:15 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What's 90120 ?

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 10-14-2005 10:27 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark J. Marshall
What's 90120 ?

The mail zip code for Beverly Hills, California:

http://www.vidiot.com/BH90210/

quote:
Veteran cast members returning will be Jennie Garth, Tori Spelling, Luke Perry, Brian Austin Green, Ian Ziering, Vincent Young, Lindsay Price, Vanessa Marcil, Daniel Cosgrove and Joe E. Tata.

BEVERLY HILLS, 90210 is enjoyed by a wide audience both in the United States and abroad. It is seen by an estimated 200 million people around the world and ranks as one of the most watched American television shows internationally.

BEVERLY HILLS, 90210 is a Spelling Television Inc production. Aaron Spelling, E. Duke Vincent, Paul Waigner and John Eisendrath are the executive producers. Laurie McCarthy and Doug Steinberg are the co-executive producers. Brian Austin Green is a producer.

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 10-14-2005 10:31 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's as fun as "True Romance" from the same director. [thumbsup]

The show on Fox was "90210".

Don Anderson
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-14-2005 11:26 AM      Profile for Don Anderson   Email Don Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yup, ya got me.....90210. Hey, it was late when I posted this [Smile]

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 10-14-2005 06:45 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Century Orleans 18
Friday 14 OCT 05 2:20pm
Screen #8, $6.25 matinee

DCMI screen check.

Not bad for what it was, though reels 6 & 7 dragged a bit for me. Not a complete waste of time.

Great photography and a good looking print.

Pravin Ratnam
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-15-2005 02:39 PM      Profile for Pravin Ratnam   Email Pravin Ratnam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you thought, Tony Scott's Man on Fire has postproduction editing excess, that movie's got nothing on this. It's like Tony Scott , the geezer, is desperate to come across as some young hip director,except he uses a lot of 90s style in excess. He throws everything on the screen and of course, some of it will be great, and some of it will suck. Light a matchstick and it is shown from 4 different angles with sound effects that would put a Michael Jackson arm waving sound effect to shame. If he just toned it down 20% or so, it would still be plenty enough and not distract from the narrative. At least the shakiness and the quick edits settle down in the middle of the movie a little bit.

Having said that, I do like little stylistic flourishes like the use of captions here as he did in Man on Fire. It kind of brings you back into the story just as you get numbed by the stylistic excess. I also liked the movie overall and I think I will like it better on cable when i see it again because the shaky effect gets minimized on the small screen, and having seen the movie once you can appreciate the things that Tony Scott does do well. I liked Man on Fire more when I saw it on my HBO HD. There were some really fun moments in that movie that I did not appreciate the first time because of all the distractions.

Tom Waits can never be boring, but I thought his cameo amounts to an unintentional parody of his public perception. "oh let's put kooky looking Tom Waits with that voice in a scene and even if that scene is full of crap, it will somehow come off as so deep because it's Tom Fucking Waits."

Yeah I still liked the movie.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 10-15-2005 03:38 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This was fun, but disposable, entertainment. I doubt that anyone will remember it in twenty years.

I made the mistake of sitting fairly close to a large screen (~1.5 screen heights away) and the handheld shots, gratuitous zooms, and quick cuts were difficult to take. If I had sat farther back, this wouldn't have been a problem.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 10-21-2005 07:54 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Tony Scott for another flash-apertured seizure-cammed piece of headache-inducing unwatchable shit. [puke]

It might have been a good story. I couldn't tell.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: