Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Lady in the Water (2006)

Author Topic: Lady in the Water (2006)
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-20-2006 05:32 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
This movie was just stupid.

I think the director is still dragging just a tiny bit on his pacing, but I love the quirkiness of the characters. Still, that doesn't save a stupid plot. NO bedtime story has EVER had this complicated of a story. I also don't recall any bedtime stories being flat out stupid.

The film did have a nice sound mix. Ashamed he reused the music from his earlier movies. (Or if he didn't, he should have since it sounded the same.)

2 out of 5 stars

|  IP: Logged

Don E. Nelson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-24-2006 03:25 PM      Profile for Don E. Nelson   Email Don E. Nelson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This film maker is near the top of my list of 100 film directors who made "super 8" films when they were kids. I have seen this movie 3 times,... before, they all had different titles but were similar in style. I read some where in People magazine that M. Night wrote, produced and directed this movie, he also acted in it and also helped the key grips move the dolly camera tracks and he handed gaffers tape to the gaffers and he also tried to adjust the big hulkin kleig lights on several occasions, to no avail. M. Night is also reported to have made original Philly Cheese Steaks for the cast and crew at the movies last and final wrap party. I saw this films "movie poster" in 2 different theaters on the same day it was released. I have seen everything this guy has done including his theatrical releases, and this is by far one of the best jobs he has done when it comes to selecting the Kodak movie stock he used for loading the 35mm cameras. Because of the low lighting conditions, he opted to use the same movie stock used to film E.T.(2750 neg.) If you only see one movie this year, you really should get out more often. Ron Howards daughter, yet again, appears in this movie. [She only has to act in 4 more of M. Nights films, and then his film school debt, that he owes to Ronnie Howard, will be paid in full] Every single frame in this film is a lesson in begining cinematography 101, and every camera angle is was set up using a plastic protractor to ± 2°. And as a final note, no animals were harmed during the panning and zooming of this film.
I enjoyed the reviews of this movie, but I have a few questions. 1) who kept turning on the sprinklers? this was symbolic of what? 2) What exactly was up with the 3 evil monkeys? 3) Who is this Guardian of the universe character?, 4) When the Narf is rescued by the eagle at the end of the film, where did the eagle come from? 5)Why are there so many charachters and individual speaking parts in the original script?, 6) Why were there little light green square matte lines on the ships when they were attacking the Deathstar? Can anyone enlighten me with some answers, or give me some opinions before I actually see this movie. Thanks.

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-24-2006 05:46 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In light of Don's post:

I have yet to sit down and watch this film. However, I have found myself intrigued by the camera shots throughout this film. When I built it - I noticed weird angles and scene changes. When I have walked the auditorium, I found myself watching the film. So - just for the cinematography - I want to see this film.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-25-2006 03:44 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I doubt we'll ever play this because it's such a flop, but here's a paragraph from a review by Rex Reed. This is the baddest "bad" review I think I've ever seen for a movie.

If you want to read the rest, CLICK HERE

As vacation time nears, it is safe to say that no matter how rotten things get on the big screen during the rest of the summer, the worst of it is over. Hollywood cannot pollute the ozone with anything more idiotic, contrived, amateurish or sub-mental than Lady in the Water. This piece of pretentious, paralyzing twaddle is the latest in a series of head-scratchers by the incompetent, self-delusional M. Night Shyamalan. He’s the writer, producer and director, and terrible at all three, but if that isn’t bad enough, this time he has even gone one further and cast himself in one of the roles. I am here to tell you he is about as camera-ready as the corpse that Tommy Lee Jones dragged across the cactus in Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada. In a war of wits, brains, imagination and talent, Mr. Shyamalan would be defenseless.

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-25-2006 04:09 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, WB dropped the ball. This, once again, was not supposed to be served up as a scary movie. The attempts at horror are irrelevant to the story. I viewed & enjoyed the film as a great sendup of Hollywood screenwriting.

A real expose of why screenwriting does not equal storywriting.

It also struck me that this is one of the few mainstream films to feature news footage of the Iraq war. That, paired with the element of the residents needing to realize their parts in the story to bring the hunting creature to justice seems to be an underlying social commentary.

Whether that's the desired relation or not is moot, though. The story can be as literal as it seems & there are still REAL characters to digest & track. It's a puzzle, and when it's completed it doesn't try to stand out as anything more than the story it was dealing with.

Shyamalan really visions himself as an outsider. I think it's the fault of moviegoers who try to hold him up high, demanding the highest caliber afternoon movie scare-fare when his films are so well shot and so full of emotional entanglements. If you walk into a film demanding it go through so many motions, expecting a certain path, then Shyamalan's films are not for you. He is clearly comfortable with his own storywriting formula, and I hope he makes many more films like this: rich pieces which expose small elements of the human condition without reaching for flashy dramatics or convention.

Too much convention & expectation is killing mainstream film. If someone doesn't knock the bar loose with a film like this at least ONCE each summer, we'll never hope to see higher box office numbers. At the least, it gets his dissenters into their formula films after he's already taken their money for the curiosity ticket. One can't deny that there's still great curiosity in his work. Perhaps, in decades to come, his work will be judged seperately from the typical films which surround it.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-25-2006 05:10 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Scott
This, once again, was not supposed to be served up as a scary movie.
Well the trailer sure makes it look scary. The poster, too. If it's true that this was supposed to be a "sendup," then yeah, the marketing dept really fouled it up.

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-26-2006 09:22 AM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would like to note that here where I am at - this film's gross continues to grow each day. It's quite strange - it did a certain amount on Friday, Saturday a little more, Sunday - better than Saturday - here's the kicker - Monday outgrossed Sunday and Tuesday outgrossed Monday. Right now - it's my busiest film. Maybe the negative buzz is causing a curiousity element?

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-26-2006 02:28 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's what I was reaching for, Mike. I realize marketing is a pretty standardized practice. I see each of Shyamalan's films as part of his set, not of any genre. So there's gonna have to be fans of just "his genre" or collection. There's just too few films to compare his work to. Even the Sixth Sense didn't qualify as a horror, or suspense picture to me. It was a piece he made with some suspense elements & dramatic imagery. People just felt creepy after seeing it & they self-applied his style to horror or suspense. He's not really offering either; stories (which are indeed debatable in relation to each other) are his forte.

I suspect the next decades will bring new filmmakers trying, directly, to imitate Shyamalan, using his name as their centerpiece. Then, perhaps some of his current dissenters will get on the bandwagon. Maybe.

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 07-26-2006 03:33 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Watching Shamalam's movies have become a tedious excercize in petting a pretty dog and getting my hand bitten off in the process. If he want's to make some odd feeling piece that wont be truly understood until 300 years has passed, hey that is just fine with me. I am going to wait until TBS shows this in their middle of the night "too stupid to sleep" segment.

Ciao

Chad M Calpito
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-26-2006 05:53 PM      Profile for Chad M Calpito   Author's Homepage   Email Chad M Calpito   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Saw the movie today and I thought it was just too slow for my taste, though, it did have some entertaining value to it. Overall though, I would rate the movie at 2.5 out of 5 stars.

Auditorium: #4
Sound: SDDS Digital
Seating Capacity: 295

I did like the part with the evil creatures in the forest. I thought the special effects were really good.

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-07-2006 10:33 AM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Watched this one this morning.

I liked it. I got the message. Too bad more people don't get the message of this film.

M. Night will continue to be on my list of the top ten directors that influence the person I am.

[Big Grin]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: