Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Wall • E (2008) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: Wall • E (2008)
Galen Murphy-Fahlgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-26-2008 01:16 AM      Profile for Galen Murphy-Fahlgren   Email Galen Murphy-Fahlgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brilliant, fantastic, astounding. This movie is everything I had hoped for. It begins slowly, and I was getting apprehensive when, bam, awesome. I think the silliness in the first two reels is enough to keep the kids' attentions until the action, but this movie is probably better from a mature standpoint.

5 out of 5, will definitely see again.

|  IP: Logged

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film Handler

- posted 06-26-2008 02:46 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed. It is definitely better from a mature standpoint.
Messages are quite ballsy for an animated film, gags and references are just right to keep the level of zaniness.
The direction is splendid and characters are fantastic.
The guys at Pixar definitely know how to make films, they made the transition from cartoons to movies from day one.

I'm still undecided about the hilarious short "Presto". Is it better than "Lifted"? I can't tell... [Wink]

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-26-2008 04:52 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Search bait: Wall-E WallE

Andy Muirhead
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-26-2008 08:23 PM      Profile for Andy Muirhead   Email Andy Muirhead   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For "search bait" Mike, wall*e works. The * is a wildcard. [Wink]

Though not sure if you meant for this topic, or the film in general! I was looking for synopsis to use in our in house stuff so used the wildcard, this is one of those annoying titles that use all kinds of variations so apologies if I read your post incorrectly.

Edwin Schwing
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-27-2008 12:32 AM      Profile for Edwin Schwing   Email Edwin Schwing   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
screened it last night, it was good. I enjoyed the hell out of the first part but it got a bit busy toward the middle and especially the end.

The credits helped me by reminding me of what the story was, rather than what the story was supposed to be..... Or so I thought.

I still don't like Cockroaches, even tho they "CAN" be cute.... (but never die.)

E

*****-no rating yet

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-27-2008 01:06 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I tried not to learn too much about this film beforehand -- I thought it would be a better experience to go in totally "cold." But I did watch the one trailer we had, and allowed myself to read the first couple of reviews in this thread. Given that, I was prepared to love this movie.

Visually it is great, and Wall-E (the character) is a hoot to watch.

Storywise, the opposite is true. It starts out promising, but by the end it's slid into a bland, predictable, save-the-planet story. The ending is telegraphed from the minute he discovers --- well I won't spoil it. But this marks the first Pixar movie I was actually wishing it would hurry up and end already. Reel 5 seems like it's about an hour long, and with such limited dialogue, the movie just gets boring.

I didn't find myself caring about the characters, since they're all so expressionless and bland. Even the "villian" of the story has no personality whatsoever.

The space-ship scenes look like every Star Trek or Star Wars movie done in cartoon form, and while the machinery and robotics are definitely imaginative, there is no personality in any of it. And having all the humans look exactly alike was really a bonehead move.

Last year with "Ratatouille," and with all of the other Pixars, there were several scenes I just knew I would want to watch every night if I could. With this movie, I can't remember even one scene that had that effect on me. My wife fell asleep.

I fear we're going to have a LOT of people disappointed in this one. Small kids are going to be bored to tears. I won't be surprised to see walk-outs, even.

I never thought I'd see the day when I'd do this to a Pixar movie, but here goes: 1.5 out of 5 stars. Kudos to them for trying something completely different, but for me it just...didn't...work.

quote: Andy Muirhead
For "search bait" Mike, wall*e works. The * is a wildcard.
Sure, but not everyone searching would think to put a wildcard there, and most people definitely wouldn't think to put a dot there.

Allison Parsons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-27-2008 02:18 AM      Profile for Allison Parsons   Author's Homepage   Email Allison Parsons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I laughed, I cried...then I cried some more. And then at the end I cried even more.

What can I say, I have a soft spot for robots. Let alone robots in looooooove.

Not sure how the kiddies are going to react to it. Kind of how I felt about Ratatouille: more adult with a hint of kid in it, than more of a kid movie with a hint of adultism to it.

Done beautifully, probably the most realistic looking Pixar movie (excluding the humans of course). The first movie I was actually looking forward to seeing in digital.

5 out of 5 because of the robots and Fred Willard. [Big Grin] And I will be collecting all the M-O toys I can get my hands on.

quote: Jean-Marc Toussaint
I'm still undecided about the hilarious short "Presto". Is it better than "Lifted"?
No. haha. I didn't hate Presto, but I think there have been better shorts.

Robert Crabtree
Film Handler

- posted 06-27-2008 02:34 AM      Profile for Robert Crabtree   Email Robert Crabtree   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow...just the short Presto alone farted sunshine and pooped rainbows, it was so cute. And the movie took that up a notch. If I didn't have a cold, black heart, I'd have cried my @ss off at the end.

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-27-2008 03:03 AM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry I think this is probably the worst Pixar movie ever. [thumbsdown]

The short at the beginning is fantastic but after that it went rapidly down hill

I watched this in a mixed audience of delegates at Cine Expo and local school kids . I hardly heard any response from the kids after Presto finished.

Shane Cooper
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-27-2008 03:05 AM      Profile for Shane Cooper   Email Shane Cooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I really enjoyed it. I do think it will be a bit too slow for kids.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-27-2008 05:35 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I liked it but I didn't. It's a tie between this and A Bug's Life for worst Pixar movie. Still I'll give it 3 out of 5.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 06-27-2008 09:55 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With 90 reviews counted thus far, Wall•E is scoring 98% at Rotten Tomatoes. 88 "fresh" reviews, 2 "rotten." I guess this movie isn't for everyone.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-27-2008 10:38 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, Rotten Tomatoes sounds just as skewed as a "thumbs up" or "thumbs down". It's either good or it isn't. I wouldn't look there for accurate representations on the true opinions of the little people. So that percentage means nothing.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-27-2008 11:35 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I have read some reviews (Roger Ebert, and Roger Moore so far) and they both give it high marks 4.5 and 5 stars, respectively -- in fact Moore says, because it's so visual, that "it should be your 2 to 3-year-old's first trip to the movies."

Maybe I wasn't in the mood to watch a movie last night or something. Maybe we'll watch it again.

Chad M Calpito
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-27-2008 04:51 PM      Profile for Chad M Calpito   Author's Homepage   Email Chad M Calpito   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is definately one movie I will be seeing soon. I normally don't see Disney/Pixar films, but, seeing the trailers and bits and pieces of this film makes me want to sit, relax and enjoy this film.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: