Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Hancock (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Hancock
Jake Lafree
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-01-2008 02:59 AM      Profile for Jake Lafree   Author's Homepage   Email Jake Lafree   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought it was just okay. Yes, I would've paid to see it. But no, I would not see it again. I thought the first reel of the movie or so was great, after that my mind started to side-track. I've always liked Will Smith, but he's done better than this.

6/10

PS>>>The 007 teaser was pretty bad-ass though.

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-01-2008 03:03 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
It started off good with an interesting premise, and then reel 4 came along with the bullshit Star Wars and E.T. stuff.

Not totally unwatchable, but they really fucked things up in the last half hour. Nobody will ever want to see this a second time.

2 out of 5

Ross Oba
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-01-2008 05:28 AM      Profile for Ross Oba   Email Ross Oba   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So this pretty much confirms how much a pile of [bs] this is. If this makes more money then The Dark Knight then I will throw myself off a cliff. And sadly, given the average American moviegoers taste in movies, I may end up doing just that.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 07-01-2008 05:54 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It has every chance of taking what The Dark Knight will take...

...and if you believe that I have a bridge to sell you. Lovely views of Sydney Harbour.

[Cool]

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-01-2008 05:56 AM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess I'll be the first to say that I liked it more then I hated it. What I can't wait for is the Blu-Ray, the cut of the movie they first to took to the MPAA was 2hrs 25 mins. It also got a hard R. There is so much that this movie could of been, and it will be on Blu-Ray. Will Smith did a good job and so did Bateman, but boy did Charlize Theron look good. The first two and half reels of this movie were great. Good laughs, good story and good acting. The acting and the laughs didn't really slow down much after the third reel but the editing to make this movie a pg 13 really cut the story to death.

I will see it again with the GF and then I will see the BLU-Ray when that comes out.

3.5/5 [thumbsup]

Ben Goodman
Film Handler

- posted 07-01-2008 02:25 PM      Profile for Ben Goodman   Email Ben Goodman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, first of all, the movie the trailers promised was not the movie delivered. With that said...

The story in the first half of the movie was interesting, but I do not think the writing or execution was very good. All the characters were super-shallow and everything was so typically hollywood. You can really tell it in the music too-- things just seemed so contrived.

The second half of the movie had a MISERABLE story. I did not like one thing about it and I do not think it was executed very well. Maybe with the extra hour of footage (which you can really tell was missing) the movie would be good. Instead, it feels like nothing is really drawn out to its proper conclusion, things jump around, and it just isn't satisfying. There are some visceral scenes, but if you turn your brain on, you won't like what it has to say.

The ending sucked.

The acting was pretty good, and I mean, the actors did the best they could with the material they were given. I just think this movie was beneath all of them.

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-01-2008 10:52 PM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Liked the first half, then it just takes WTF turn. There must have been some plot points that were cut to get the PG-13 rating. [bs]

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-02-2008 10:39 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jeremy Weigel
WTF turn
That's a good term. It happens in a lot of summer movies. The most blatant Will Smith example is "Independence Day." Started out scary and menacing, ended up goofy. Fist fighting with the aliens? Uploading a virus to their computers? Come on.

I propose we use "the WTF Turn" as a trademarked Film-Tech review term. [Big Grin]

Mike Schindler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-02-2008 01:03 PM      Profile for Mike Schindler   Email Mike Schindler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I, too, was worried about how much this movie had to be cut in order to get a PG-13, but I don't think all the R-rated material in the world could save it. The problem is not what's missing, but what's there to begin with.

Like everyone else, I enjoyed the first half quite a bit. But then the movie becomes something else. Something stupid.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-02-2008 01:12 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I hope they put Will Smith's universal line of dialogue "awwwwww hell no" that is in every one of his movies back in the DVD edit. It's like Samuel Jackson's "motherfucker". It just has to be there. [Razz]

Ross Oba
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-02-2008 02:42 PM      Profile for Ross Oba   Email Ross Oba   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The closest he came was during the train scene when he said "Awwwww sh*t"

Mark Strube
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-03-2008 03:48 PM      Profile for Mark Strube   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Strube   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I must say this movie disappointed me. The last trailer that came out really gave me some hope for this one. It started out strongly, and I definitely appreciated the dark humor throughout, but beyond that it became typical very quickly. Even the action scenes weren't all that great. I was bored.

Also, did anyone else notice that it doesn't look like this movie was shot with scope in mind? It seems almost as if they originally intended on a flat release and then last minute they were told it must be scope since it's summer action. Scene after scene I felt like the composition just sucked. Anyone else?

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-04-2008 10:14 AM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I opened the 'Fox Box' - - I kept looking for another reel. "Only 5???" I kept saying to myself. I checked the label on the box 2 make sure that's all there was.

The manager came up into the booth to drop of some advertising trailers right after I finished making up the Hancock print.
It looks kinda small sitting there on the platter.
He took one look and said "Is that IT????"
"Yep," I replied' "and half the last reel is credits".
It is kinda short for a summer 'blockbuster'-
but then again I don't think being longer would have made it any better.

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 07-04-2008 05:04 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CINEMA: 13th Avenue Warren, Wichita, KS
AUDITORIUM: 14
PRESENTATION: Dolby Digital Cinema DLP/THX
PRESENTATION PROBLEMS: None [Cool]
RATING: Three stars (out of four)

WARNING: "Call me a Spoiler...one more time."

"THIS IS YOUR VOICE OF THE THEATRE" comes on and says something about it being Independence Day, and asks us to listen to a few words from Johnny Cash. We hear his "Ragged Old Flag". Then they throw in the Mormon Tabernacle Choir's "I Pledge Allegiance to the United States" before the curtain rises.

Warren has their own "Policy/Coming Attractions" and "Feature Presentation" snipes in their digital auditoriums now. They're pretty nice. Far nicer than the crappy Pike Productions ones running in the 35mm houses (which are ALWAYS fuzzy, even when everything else isn't).

THE PLOT: An alcoholic superhero gets an image makeover. Wackiness ensues.

I'm not sure why they decided to go the route they did during the second half of the movie, but I still thought it was better than I've seen others saying. The first part of the movie was just great. I suppose the whole movie might have even reached instant classic status if they'd continued on that route.

Either way, Will Smith played the hell out of that role.

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-05-2008 12:35 AM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did anyone else notice the walking "rock lord" type creature in the background in the big fight scene with the twin tornadoes?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: