Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Rachel Getting Married (2008)

Author Topic: Rachel Getting Married (2008)
Mike Schindler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-31-2008 01:26 PM      Profile for Mike Schindler   Email Mike Schindler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This movie is surprisingly good. Jonathan Demme has adopted a nearly perfect style which draws the viewer into the story on a very emotional level. It helps that the script is fantastic. But the real star here is Anne Hathaway. This is the performance of her career. If she doesn't get nominated for an Oscar, then there's something wrong with the system.

If I had one complaint, it's that the movie is too long. It has a tendency to linger on tedious moments that serve no purpose other than to create atmosphere. There are times when all momentum is lost for no good reason. This is especially problematic near the end of the picture. If it were just a little bit tighter, I'd be way more enthusiastic about the movie on the whole.

|  IP: Logged

Gerard S. Cohen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-01-2008 01:33 PM      Profile for Gerard S. Cohen   Email Gerard S. Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I attended this screening to avoid the Halloween "trick or treat" doorbell ringing for the first time, since while the neighbors' urchins are cute as hell, lately groups of non-local, aggressive teenagers without costumes have become annoying.
The title reminded me of other wedding films, such as "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" and "Bombay Wedding" and I thought this would be a fun, homey satire. WRONG!

S P O I L E R S ?

Kym leaves a 12-step rehab center to attend the bi-racial wedding of her sister, and within the enforced gaiety of the three-day festivities, intense emotional confrontations erupt
within this dysfunctional family, sparked by her arrival.

For me this turned out to be the Wedding from Hell! The acting, at a high emotional pitch, combined with the tight, claustrophobic camera shots, (some handheld) raucous percussion, amplified rock guitar and wierd, disorienting violin music throughout the celebrations, induced in me a feeling of nausea, and when I arrived home, none too soon, I had dry heaves.

Some scenes I found emotionally tedious and painful, such as the endless embarrassing toasts, and the idiotic competition game at
the dishwasher. I couldn't help identifying with each of the principals in turn (I was father of the bride at my daughter's wedding last June.)

While I recognize the skill of the writers, and the intensity of the acting of the major players, and the mystery-like plot development, I couldn't be sure whether there was meant to be in part a put-down of upper middle-class family celebrations and the pretense of family values concealing major psychological family flaws.

This film might well please those with stronger psyches and stomachs than mine.

At the Kew Gardens Cinema, Screen #3, Halloween eve, with 20 adults and seniors.

Richard P. May
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-13-2008 10:13 AM      Profile for Richard P. May   Email Richard P. May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can fully see Gerard's situation about getting motion sickness out of this so-called movie. From the start, it looks like it was filmed in a car on a bumpy road with a little bitty hand held camera.
On top of that, it wasn't very interesting.
Yes, Anne Hathaway is very good. She deserves better.
I lasted about half way thru it, then got bored.
Phooey!

John Koutsoumis
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-12-2009 06:24 PM      Profile for John Koutsoumis   Email John Koutsoumis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Richard P. May
From the start, it looks like it was filmed in a car on a bumpy road with a little bitty hand held camera.

Motion sickness...hmmmm. I thought the film was wonderfully shot. Perfect execution of the story. Would have been better if it was shot on film as oppossed to HD Video though.

I found this beautiful and devasting. It reminded me of another wedding film FESTEN which also had the same walking through obeservation feel to it.
Anne Hathaway is great. The darker roles such as this and HAVOC suit her well.

4 out of 5

Mike Schindler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-12-2009 07:46 PM      Profile for Mike Schindler   Email Mike Schindler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: John Koutsoumis
Would have been better if it was shot on film as oppossed to HD Video though.
I disagree. One of the reasons why the movie's aesthetic works so well is because it looks like a wedding video. If it were shot on film, some of that sense of reality would have been lost.

John Koutsoumis
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-12-2009 09:11 PM      Profile for John Koutsoumis   Email John Koutsoumis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe 16mm would have been interesting. But yeah I agree the look really makes the film work.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-15-2009 01:08 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So they finally made a movie about OUR Madame Moderator?????

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-15-2009 01:55 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All I ever see when I walk by this auditorium is whats-her-face smoking. PASS.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: