Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Madagascar - Escape 2 Africa (2008)

Author Topic: Madagascar - Escape 2 Africa (2008)
Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-08-2008 09:02 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From what I've seen/heard so far, the movie has a lot of the "wisecracking" humor that's supposed to appeal to adults, with liberal doses of the "bathroom" humor that the kids love so much.

The animation is surprisingly subpar to what we're now spoiled with thanks to Pixar. The Lion's mane looks like it's either made of plastic, or been dipped in a vat of hair spray.

The kids seem kind of bored with it - we've had a couple of "I wanna go home!" walkouts and the concession is doing a brisk during-show business.

Further comments on hold until I actually have a chance to sit and watch it.

|  IP: Logged

Brian Michael Weidemann
Expert cat molester

- posted 11-09-2008 01:58 PM      Profile for Brian Michael Weidemann   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Michael Weidemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't see the first one, but this was a fun little film. It had me laughing a couple times.

I thought the animation was good. Of course, it was the IMAX version (in a GT theatre). Bright, colorful, and very high resolution! The characters were designed for the first one, so there wasn't much room for improvement in the overall style. They're cartoons, so I think that "plastic" look is consistent with the style. At no point are they actually trying for photorealistic textures, but some of the shots are still amazing. In particular, that final shot!

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 11-09-2008 09:47 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Today at Regal 15 in Eugene, #15, NEC 2K DLP.

The animation & character detail looks great in DLP. Is it the best ever? No. But more importantly, the movie itself was subpar for me. Kids in the audience seemed alternately bored and restless. The touches of humor seem sparse and, well, not all that funny for the most part.

I didn't hate it but I wouldn't recommend it either.

2 out of 5 stars.

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-10-2008 06:49 AM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Regal Salisbury Stadium 16, 3:15 p.m. show, 11/09/08

Hmmm, this movie wasn't that great. Besides several presentation problems, overall this movie's plot sucked, the dialogue sucked, and the background music sounded like it was playing on an old record player.

Anyways, don't ruin your memory of the original film by seeing this one.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-11-2008 01:33 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Having read the above comments, I was fully prepared to hate this film, but wound up liking it quite a bit. The animation is actually quite good, especially the water (I'm always impressed by good animated water) except for the damn lions' manes which look just a leeetle bit too stylish in my opinion. Maybe a little bit scraggly would have looked better?

There were a lot of laughs - "Two passengers unaccounted for? That's a number I can live with!" - although I can see why the little kids are a bit restless with it, due to the story being somewhat over their heads and not as much action as expected. But I was entertained and so was my wife.

We both liked it a lot more than Wall-E. There was the usual obligatory cartoon message here (anti-hunting) but it was lighthearted and didn't bang you over the head like Pixar's message did. Wall-E beats this by far in the animation dept, of course, but as a fun movie this gets the nod from me.

The anti-piracy audio-CRAP sound dropouts weren't noticable in our theatre (we have Dolby Digital sound) but I thought the sound mix overall was weak.

3.5 stars.

ADDENDUM: I thought it was a pretty gutsy move by the film-makers to show the NYC skyline featuring the World Trade Center towers in the opening shot. I know it was meant to convey a "flashback" but they could have easily used a different shot and put a "TEN YEARS AGO" card in there. And no public outcry! I hope this means it'll be OK to show the WTC in films set prior to 9/11/01 again.

[ 11-13-2008, 06:43 PM: Message edited by: Mike Blakesley ]

Galen Murphy-Fahlgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-14-2008 11:29 PM      Profile for Galen Murphy-Fahlgren   Email Galen Murphy-Fahlgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
9:50 at Goodrich Canton, #3, P35GPS, SRD. Presentation in this auditorium has gone downhill recently, maybe someone mixed up aperture plates with the other Christie in the complex somehow. The dropout was two minutes into the third reel and I found it quite irritating.

The movie was okay, but I hate it when they feel they have to shove some social agenda down your throat. We get it, the son is gay, and the backwards dad can't cope. If they had been a little less blatant with it and maybe left out the racism (all black people look and speak exactly the same, how can you even tell them apart?) I might have enjoyed it more. As it was, I was distracted throughout by the blatant gay agenda. Hollywood has no business telling me how to think, and I resent any movie that has such a brutishly presented message to try and brainwash our unsuspecting children, they don't need to be hammered with messages all the time.

See what I did there?

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 11-27-2008 10:26 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CINEMA: Megaplex 17 at Jordan Commons, Sandy, UT
AUDITORIUM: Spring Mobile IMAX
PRESENTATION: IMAX
PRESENTATION PROBLEMS: None [Cool]
RATING: Two stars (out of four)

Wow. They've gone from a wireless telco sponsorship to a wireless telco reseller sponsorship. Well, as long as they didn't take out the...AW CRAP! They took out the leather seats.

THE PLOT: A plane crashes. Wackiness ensues.

I didn't see the first movie. I have four words for this movie. What. In. The. HELL.

Two stars for the penguins, though I know I'm in the minority when I say I DON'T think the penguins should get their own franchise. I don't think they can milk that act for 90 minutes.

Picture looked great. They actually filled the whole IMAX screen top to bottom.

Michael Hossen
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-16-2008 07:07 AM      Profile for Michael Hossen   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Hossen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CINEMA: Ace, Busselton, Western Australia
AUDITORIUM: Cinema 1
PRESENTATION: 35mm
PRESENTATION PROBLEMS: None
RATING: 3/5

Saw the first one. Thought it was worthy of a laugh or two. I feel much the same about this one.

Not a brilliant film, but it had it's moments. I like how they include jokes which only adults would understand in kids movies nowadays...

Kids would probably enjoy it much more I would suspect.

Audio drop-out wasn't a problem as we rarely receive a DTS disk with the print. Usually a few days later.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: