Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Synecdoche, N.Y.

Author Topic: Synecdoche, N.Y.
Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 11-20-2008 01:31 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This movie is very quirky, and not in a good way. Phillip Seymour Hoff-Man plays one of the most boring, least interesting characters ever to grace the screen. And "grace" is much too strong a word to use. He pretty much just collects dust on the screen. He does not live in reality and seems to strut throughout time from scenario to scenario, each of which will make you yawn in their own special way. The basis of the movie is around a "play" he is attempting to direct about his life in order to do something interesting with himself before he dies. He fails miserably.

If you ever wanted something to make your everyday life look exciting and action-packed by comparison, this is the movie for you. Those who consider themselves "intellectual artists" or some other form of "high-brow" individuals will likely love this movie, discussing with one another about what each scene is supposed to represent. These people sicken me. Perpetually depressed people will probably love it as well, since that's what this movie is all about. This movie tries to be deep and I think it tries much too hard. Since it is so quirky and non-mainstream in its approach, it'll likely be showered with Academy Awards.

I must say that because of this movie, I now hate Phillip Seymour Hoff-Man. He joins the ranks of John Leguizamo and Vince Vaughn. Hate the Hoff.

|  IP: Logged

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-23-2008 06:49 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe, I couldn't agree with you more!!!

I was very excited about this movie. I LOVED Adaptation, and I usually enjoy Charlie Kaufman's work.

But this thing is just dreadful. It is one of the most unrelentingly depressing films I've ever seen...it reminded me of the more somber films of Woody Allen in the early 80's.

Another hand might have done better...Kaufman was both writer and director here and I think a more experienced director might have done a better job.

Being weird for the sake of being weird is NOT interesting.

Performances are fine, given the material. Looking forward to Phillip Seymour Hoffman in DOUBT...looks to be a much better film.

Rated an "F" from my wife and me. One of the worst we've ever seen together.

Reel 2 is LOADED with red dots. Very annoying.

[ 11-24-2008, 09:37 AM: Message edited by: Mark Lensenmayer ]

Richard P. May
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-29-2008 10:51 AM      Profile for Richard P. May   Email Richard P. May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
During the tedium of watching this, in between looking at the clock every five minutes, I wondered how anyone could be convinced to put up money to make such a film.

Hoffman's makeup was good, though.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: