Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Valkyrie (2008) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Valkyrie (2008)
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-22-2008 12:43 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Arclight Galleria in LA, auditorium #4

I was quite disappointed with the presentation here. The theater itself has been very nicely renovated, the seats are comfy and they even have Kinoton projection...but the presentation suffered.

The entire movie was ran out of focus, despite the obvious projectionist peering out the window. The film was dirty at the reel changeovers, even though this print had never been ran before. The aperture was knocked noticeably off center causing a huge fuzzy edge on the left side of the image. Every time there was even a hint of something with a moderate level of bass, the drivers bottomed out and farted. (There was no real low end to the sound system in the first place either.) The focus was uneven from side to side, the xenon lamp needed to be changed and the picture was terribly shaky (part of this was certainly the printing, which screamed Deluxe Toronto).

Despite all of those distractions I must say I really enjoyed this movie! For those not in the know (and who slept through history classes), this movie is about a group of German officers who plotted to kill Adolf Hitler to take over the military and government. The pacing is just what it should be with solid performances and a surprising amount of suspense. No spoilers here, go see it.

4.5 out of 5 stars
[thumbsup]

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 11-22-2008 02:51 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am glad this one stacks up. I am disappointed that it is flat, but what can ya do?

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 11-22-2008 04:40 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Make a statement and run it in scope anyway.

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-24-2008 06:12 AM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with the above, it should of been in scope. I've read a lot of early reviews and people talking about how Tom Cruise ruins this movie. I really didn't see that, I thought he turned in a solid performance as well as the rest of the star studded cast. Bryan Singer does a great job moving the story along and it really dosen't drag. I really can't say much more then it s a good movie and worth seeing.

4/5 [thumbsup]

It really isn't your usual holiday fair but its a refreshing change of pace.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 12-27-2008 11:30 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree that this should have been filmed in scope, but Singer chose to shoot in 1:85 aspect ratio (with no reason on the choice unless to make it look authentic in a pre-anamorphic time period), and since the majority of the filming took place in Germany, Singer used Arriflex cameras with Zeiss lenses.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 12-27-2008 11:45 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was just made aware that Tom Cruise plays a German dude. WTF?? Not only is that like having an Australian play an American Revolutionary War fighter, he doesn't even try to do a German accent. WTF?? Tom Cruise must be a horrible actor. What's next, playing a Japanese samurai, also with a perfect American accent?

I would find this incredibly distracting.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-28-2008 12:04 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
The opening of the movie is in German and then they transition to English. I didn't think it would work when I heard about that, but I had no problems with the transition or the rest of the movie being in English. If anything it made it less distracting.

Kyle Anderson
Film Handler

- posted 12-28-2008 05:02 PM      Profile for Kyle Anderson   Email Kyle Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joe Redifer
he doesn't even try to do a German accent.
unconfirmed rumor, but i heard that they had to refilm a lot of this because he/they did try it out with a german accent, but it sounded so bad they reshot.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 12-28-2008 05:12 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Miller
The opening of the movie is in German and then they transition to English.
Kind of like The Hunt For Red October? It was VERY effective how they did the transition in that one. [thumbsup]

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 12-28-2008 07:47 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actors speaking with accents is not more authentic. Cruise speaking English with a German accent is not authentic. Authentically he would be speaking German without an English accent. Everybody knows they were playing native Germans so accents are unnecessary to indicate the nationality of the characters.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 12-28-2008 09:06 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Remember Kevin Costner and his "Robin Hood" accent back in 1991 - how horrible that was?

Sorry, even though Tom Cruise is a good actor and get into the films he's acting in, he just doesn't have the personna to be that character that he's portraying...

..now, Dustin Hoffman can do this hands down without a hitch...

quote: Joe Redifer
What's next, playing a Japanese samurai, also with a perfect American accent?

What annoyed me about "The Last Samurai" - he just couldn't be a believable person. Now, in "Eyes Wide Shut" as the doctor, one could almost see him as that role in real life..

Justin Gorka
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-29-2008 04:24 PM      Profile for Justin Gorka   Email Justin Gorka   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is nothing more irritating than a German speaking to a German(in an English language film) than "Vee hav vase ov making you talk!". Know what I mean. In Germany they have as many diverse accents as we do in the UK (and I assume the US). So why is it wrong for an actor to speak in his native accent when playing as a native?

Tyler Potts
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-29-2008 08:22 PM      Profile for Tyler Potts   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I feel something of this magnitude of history should be made by that country. I don't know how I'd feel if World Trade Center came out two years ago as an all German film. I love German movies, I feel everyone should see Goodbye Lenin and Downfall at some point in their lives, but can easily pass on Valkyrie.

With this I kept thinking, I know him from Pirates of the Caribbean, he was in V for Vendetta, there's that cross dressing comedian... and Cruise's "Heil Hitler!" caused the audience to start laughing.

Then I was confused seeing Christian Berker playing Colonel Mertz von Quirnheim as he looked just as he did in Downfall as Dr. Ernst-Günter Schenck. I think Downfall's actors were so spot on resembling their characters it was eerie, Valkyrie's just seemed Hollywood.

Christian Appelt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-31-2008 10:28 AM      Profile for Christian Appelt   Email Christian Appelt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There have been two German films on the subject, made at the same time by different directors:

DER 20. JULI (1955, dir. Falk Harnack)
IMDB: Der 20. Juli

ES GESCHAH AM 20. JULI (It Happened On July 20th, 1955, dir. Georg Wilhelm Pabst)
IMDB: Es geschah am 20. Juli

I agree with you on the WTC movie, but sometimes it can be an advantage if a story is told by someone with an "outside vision". Some of the most famous movies on American life were written and/or directed by foreigners, like Alfred Hitchcock (SHADOW OF A DOUBT) or Billy Wilder (THE APARTMENT).

Carey Barber
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-02-2009 10:59 AM      Profile for Carey Barber   Email Carey Barber   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I really enjoyed this movie...

The pacing was good, keeping you entertained. All of the principal actors did a good job. The film itself looked and sounded good. I am also very interested in this period of history.

Even though Tom Cruise's public persona is rather annoying, he is a decent actor and does a good job here. (In my experience, people sometimes have trouble separating the two, as if you cannot be talented AND an annoying twit.)

I do wish that this movie had been in scope!!!

Grade: A-

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: