Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » The Day The Earth Stood Still (2008) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: The Day The Earth Stood Still (2008)
Justin Gorka
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-12-2008 05:58 AM      Profile for Justin Gorka   Email Justin Gorka   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Enjoyed this one. Reeves is ideal as the part of Klato, though some of the other characters are miss placed. Effects are well done without being OTT. The ending seems to be have been a bit rushed, but that may down to the Studio wishing to keep the running lime under 2 hours.
Comparisons will be made to the original, but this would be unfair as it owes more to the original book.
3/5

|  IP: Logged

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 12-12-2008 04:06 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Well, we left a guy here for 70 years tu judge the Humanity, but he was wrong"...

Come ooooon!!! [Smile]

Mark Ogden
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-12-2008 06:20 PM      Profile for Mark Ogden   Email Mark Ogden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What a piece of crap this movie was, full of the same old lame SF cliches. Obligatory large object approaching from space, obligatory mean old government people driving around in black SUVs, speaking in clipped, highly efficient dialogue, arriving at a scientists house at night demanding he/she come with them with promises of an explanation later, obligatory use of computer display GUIs that don't look like anything anyone has ever seen and shiny gleaming technology that can do seemingly impossible feats of detection over long distances, obligatory single mother, obligatory government official that only wants to oppress information/heroism/non-conformity, obligatory dunning product placements (in order: Microsoft, McDonalds, LG, Citizen), obligatory "OK these people are capable of love so I guess we can spare them" trite-ass ending. Horse puckey.

quote: Justin Gorka
Comparisons will be made to the original, but this would be unfair as it owes more to the original book.
Neither of these movies share anything with the original book ("Farewell to The Master" by Harry Bates) except the robot reviving Klaatu after he gets shot. That's all. The book has none of the whole warning-to-Earth stuff that the movies added.

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-12-2008 06:53 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Too much Klaatu, Not enough GORT. The robot could have been used much more effectively.

Nothing special...just an overblown action film. Lots of booms in the subs, but even that got tiring after awhile. None of the characters are very interesting. Could have used some more John Cleese, though.

Absolutely NOTHING is special about the IMAX NON-DIGITAL EXPERIENCE. Picture looked just as if it were 35mm, although a bit brighter..but, the audience is also closer to the screen. Nice clean sound, and, as I've stated before, I prefer the back corner surround speaker location.

I'll give it a C+. Should make some money the first weekend, but will quickly die off.

Benny Walters
Film Handler

- posted 12-12-2008 07:04 PM      Profile for Benny Walters   Email Benny Walters   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think I'm with Mark on this one. More GORT could have been a real treat with the money they dropped on other special effects. Also, I did spend the first three reels waiting for John Cleese to show up. Kathy Bates was believable but nothing to write home about. I think Klaatu is a good role for the often inhuman Keanu Reeves.

C

I am a big fan of the original (1951) and recommend a viewing of that as opposed to this remake.

[thumbsdown]

[ 12-12-2008, 09:18 PM: Message edited by: Benny Walters ]

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 12-12-2008 09:15 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is there any Klaatu music on the soundtrack? ("Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft") If not, there obviously should be!

Steve Wilson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-12-2008 10:05 PM      Profile for Steve Wilson   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This was one of my favorite Space Movies from the 1950s. I was expecting so much more and I came away feeling, what a missed oppurtunity. I would rate this well below War of the Worlds with Tom the Cruise, and it was no real winner either.

One of my buddies, says that I have never saw a bad film. This one is watchable, but thats about it. I would give it 2 of 5 Stars.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-12-2008 11:09 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, this version didn't have Bernard Herrmann to do the score so it HAS TO SUCK! I'm not even going to bother with this movie... I did purchase the Original 1950's version on Blue Ray last weekend and it looks exceptional and sounds good.

Mark

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 12-13-2008 12:42 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
"Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft"
(woo, an old classic Carpenter's song.....)

Saw some of this tonite and agree with Mark; No Bernard Herrmann score, not a classic. Plus a look-a-like of "War of the Worlds."

NOW, if they do a remake of "This Island Earth" or "Forbidden Planet" and ruin them like they did with 2000's "the Time Machine", that'll be the death of it all..

Hillary Charles
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-13-2008 09:05 AM      Profile for Hillary Charles   Email Hillary Charles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote: Mike Blakesley
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft"
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(woo, an old classic Carpenter's song.....)

Which was originally recorded by the group KLAATU, as Mike pointed out. It would have been a nice touch.

Justin Gorka
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-13-2008 05:14 PM      Profile for Justin Gorka   Email Justin Gorka   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Apparently the director took is ideas from the original book (1932?) so who know. Did like the grainy Gort....thought at first it was dodgy CGI but know we know different. Still think it's a reasonable film though(sorry....movie)

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 12-13-2008 07:06 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, forgot about that group "Klaatu" (being a TAS recommended recording group)

Todd Shelskt
Film Handler

- posted 12-15-2008 10:48 AM      Profile for Todd Shelskt   Email Todd Shelskt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't seen the movie yet, but one critic's comments made me laugh:

"Keanu Reeves plays an alien who doesn't talk much and shows no emotion. I really think he has found his perfect role." Kevin Carr

Everything tends to be so formulaic these days. Mylie Cyrus, product tie-ins, slick action, government agents. Where's the imagination? I loved the original "Day the Earth Stood Still." I have a feeling the new one's a stinker.

Joe Tommassello
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-16-2008 04:32 PM      Profile for Joe Tommassello   Email Joe Tommassello       Edit/Delete Post 
Klaatu (the group) came out in the late 70s and were rumored to be the reunited Beatles at first. Their self-titled original album is worth a listen and you will pick up the Beatle similarities. Maybe they should have had a "Sub Rosa Subway" sign in the movie.

As for the movie I agree with the consensus here. Much ado about nothing. The original version - while not the most exciting sci-fi film - was at least thought provoking. This one is a mind-numbing exercise in environmentalist wacko propaganda. It doesn't even end...it just stops. IMAX 15/70 didn't even help this turkey. Reeves wooden acting style was actually beneficial to the role of Klaatu. The sexy new Gort and aging John Cleese were entirely underused. A missed oportunity.

Shane Cooper
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-16-2008 09:32 PM      Profile for Shane Cooper   Email Shane Cooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Justin Gorka
Apparently the director took is ideas from the original book (1932?) so who know. Did like the grainy Gort....thought at first it was dodgy CGI but know we know different. Still think it's a reasonable film though(sorry....movie)

Full disclosure: I am fan of the original and after watching this remake, I am ready to set it on fire.

Gort is the part I actually had the biggest problem with. Very inconsistent. You see "The Swarm" dissolve major structures like Giants Stadium in seconds, but when it comes to close ups, you see glass cracking instead of dissolving.

What a crock of [bs]

More importantly I found the whole thing incredibly boring. At least with the crap Michael Bay puts out I can enjoy it for two hours.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: