Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Doubt

Author Topic: Doubt
Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-27-2008 08:49 AM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Back up the truck, boys, this one has Oscar written ALL over it! It is exactly the type of movie the Academy loves to drool over.

I know it seems cheap to say this movie causes doubt, but that is exactly what it does. You think you have the think figured out, then it throws another curve your way. This is a picture that demands concentration. I think the author must have used a checklist to be be sure that the positive and negative points come out exactly even. (The play won a well deserved Pulitzer Prize in 2005)

The author directed this, and he does a decent job. Basically, all you have to do in this film is stay out of the way of the actors, and that is what he does. The actors tell the story in a strong, powerful way.

Phillip Seymour Hoffman and Meryl Streep battle their way through this movie, and it comes out a draw (as the script demands). Streep would roll over a lesser actor, but Hoffman is her equal in every way. Their confrontation scene is one of the best things I've seen on film in a LONG time. Just riveting.

Amy Adams has a tough role, staying out of the way of Streep and Hoffman, yet maintaining her simple character throughout. She is supposed to be a background character, and she does well with it.

A possibility for Best Supporting Actress is Viola Davis as Mrs. Miller. She is only on-screen for a few minutes, but she is absolutely essential to the plot of the story. You won't forget what she has to say.

This is a great movie to talk about afterward. There will be lots of opinions, but for every point in this film there is a counter-point.

Can't say whether this is a best picture winner yet, as there are too many good films yet to see. But I believe it will get a nomination.

Rating - A...one of the best I've seen in a LONG time.

[ 12-27-2008, 01:17 PM: Message edited by: Mark Lensenmayer ]

|  IP: Logged

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 12-28-2008 05:14 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Written and Directed by John Patrick Shanley who also wrote one of my favorite films of all-time...Moonstruck.

Louis Belloisy
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-30-2008 07:34 PM      Profile for Louis Belloisy   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Belloisy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark said it perfectly. This is a wonderful movie that indeed instills doubt in the viewer. The rapid fire dialog between streep and hoffman is defiantly the best i have seen. I attended a catholic grammar school like this one and can relate to the nuns, especially the principal.

this has academy award written all over it. i wish it luck.

louis

John Koutsoumis
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-08-2009 06:59 PM      Profile for John Koutsoumis   Email John Koutsoumis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not as powerfull as its made out to be but certainly very good none the less. It's great to see a film that just shuttles along instead getting bogged down with useless sub-plots.
Looks and sounds terrific too.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: