Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » District 9 (2009)

Author Topic: District 9 (2009)
Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 08-14-2009 03:26 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CINEMA: 13th Avenue Warren, Wichita, KS
AUDITORIUM: 14
PRESENTATION: Dolby Digital DLP/THX
PRESENTATION PROBLEMS: None [Cool]
RATING: Two and one half stars (out of four)

Let's review the runtimes of most of the big features, shall we? District 9: 120 min. Julie and Julia: 135 min. G.I. Joe: 130 min. My point being...Over half the movies playing here this weekend are two hours or longer in length. THIS IS STUPID.

THE PLOT: A space ship breaks down and the occupants don't have AAA. Wackiness ensues.

The movie is largely shot documentary-style with lots of shaky cameras and television-quality images with faux news graphics. We already know how you feel about this. The idle ship has hovered over Johannesburg, South Africa for twenty years. The aliens, starting out at a population of about a million, have grown to about 1.8 million. They live in a shanty town known as "District 9" and are classified the same as pretty much any community of poor people who fight and steal to survive are. The government is planning to relocate them.

I suppose the idea was political satire (and it's VERY political)...except it's not funny. In fact, it makes you angry. A lot.

Decently done for what it is, but leaves a lot of questions open at the end. The question I keep asking myself is how I managed to sit through the whole thing.

|  IP: Logged

Geoff Jones
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-14-2009 11:37 PM      Profile for Geoff Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Geoff Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I enjoyed it enough to be glad that I saw it, but not enough to want to see it again.

It felt somewhat original - or at least not as formulaic as most hollywood offerings these days.

The documentary style worked for me in this one.

The first half was a lot more tongue-in-cheek humorous than I expected.

I was disappointed that the "prawns" competency (or lack of) was never explained. They have all this technology, but they behave like idiots. When the mystery liquid macguffin showed up, I thought it was going to be like "royal jelly" is to bees - something that would create a "hive leader" that would bring them in order... but I guess it was just fuel...

Jim Bedford
Jedi Master Film Handler

From: Telluride, CO, USA (733 mi. WNW of Rockwall, TX but it seems much, much longer)

- posted 08-15-2009 09:51 AM      Profile for Jim Bedford   Author's Homepage   Email Jim Bedford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Geoff Jones
They have all this technology, but they behave like idiots.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!

Sometimes it's difficult to see metaphors that are aimed at our own society.

Geoff Jones
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-15-2009 11:31 AM      Profile for Geoff Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Geoff Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, but with humans & technology, it's usually an issue of misuse. For the prawns it was all DIS-use. But point taken.

[Smile]

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 08-15-2009 08:53 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would say this movie is better than "District 8," but not nearly as good as "District 4" or "5." And of course neither of those are as good as the original "District."

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 08-16-2009 07:02 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Saw it today at Regal 15 in Eugene, #9, 35mm. Looked and sounded excellent. [beer]

The movie kind of worked for me. It's fairly original for one thing, interesting narrative to the story, very nice effects. But it has some problems. The lead human character's personality seemed to change mid-story, almost as if the writers rewrote his character in the middle of shooting. I mean he's a heartless (and inept) a-hole, then something happens to him, and he changes his attitude bigtime, but for what reasons except saving himself. Or was he really sympathetic to Christopher Johnson & his fellow prawns' plight. I just didn't buy his behavior.

I missed the first couple minutes. Did they offer a clear explanation for the presence of the alien ship and why it was stuck hovering over the city and for 20 years nobody could do anything about it?

Anyway I kind of liked it and I give it 3.5 out of 5 stars.

Jeremy Jorgenson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-16-2009 11:48 PM      Profile for Jeremy Jorgenson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeremy Jorgenson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: David Stambaugh
The lead human character's personality seemed to change mid-story, almost as if the writers rewrote his character in the middle of shooting.
If there would have been some overt exposition on Wikus's change after he
Spoiler Alert - Click to Toggle

I wouldn't have been very happy with the way it was written. Seems like the reason for his character's change is pretty obvious to me.

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-17-2009 02:04 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To Geoff, There was one line that said that the majority, or maybe all, of the prawns on earth were workers and that they had lost their leader for some unexplained reason. They'll probably explain it more in District 10.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 08-17-2009 02:45 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The explanation offered wasn't convincing to me. I might see the movie again. Maybe I'll change my mind on 2nd viewing.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: