Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » The real reason for internet ticket sales?

Author Topic: The real reason for internet ticket sales?
Travis Cape
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-27-2000 11:59 AM      Profile for Travis Cape   Email Travis Cape   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if any of you have ever stopped to think about why people are buying there tickets on-line. I have come up with two reasons. One, with auditoriums as small as what they are you're going to sell out. Two, and the most important, It takes a lifetime to get information on the phone. By the time you call your 16 plex to get the listing, the times, listen to the disclaimers about no passes, etc you should jump on the computer. In my opinion, there is no real reason why you should take credit for tickets or concessions or offer tickets on-line. It's another example of how lazy we can help make Americans!

|  IP: Logged

Jim Bedford
Jedi Master Film Handler

From: Telluride, CO, USA (733 mi. WNW of Rockwall, TX but it seems much, much longer)

- posted 07-28-2000 09:02 AM      Profile for Jim Bedford   Author's Homepage   Email Jim Bedford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Regarding all forms of ticket sales other than showing up at the box office, Travis Cape writes: "It's another example of how lazy we can help make Americans!" Yah, and don't forget about those horseless carriages, making it too easy for Americans to get around and making them fat!

Look, it's business, and business is the creating of opportunities for people to buy your product. The easier it is for people to buy your product and to guarantee a seat, the more likely some people will use the service. In a competitive situation, the more opportunity, the better chance of keeping your doors open.

It's the 21st century, not the 19th; shouldn't we use the tools we have rather than living in the past?

Travis Cape
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-29-2000 12:19 AM      Profile for Travis Cape   Email Travis Cape   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Your point is well taken, but where does it all lead?

Kevin Crawford
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-29-2000 12:34 AM      Profile for Kevin Crawford   Email Kevin Crawford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it will lead to yet another dot.com millionaire of course. Some geek that couldn't get laid in high school will now make more money. Damn! Ain't America wonderful. First the horseless carriage, then the VCR, then the computer, now I can buy anything sitting at home in my underwear.
Besides my new hacking software is just about ready. I need more peoples credit card numbers if I am going to buy that yacht from the dot.com guy.

Martin Frandsen
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-29-2000 07:06 AM      Profile for Martin Frandsen   Email Martin Frandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now where is the good old fashion ticket lines, where people were cueing up before the theater opened the doors? I remember that as a kid, that was FUN!

Of cause now a days it's very different, the largest theater chain in Denmark has just started on-line ticket ordering system, more to follow, i don't like it, but we must accept that this is the future, even do it sucks.

Dave Bird
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-29-2000 08:32 AM      Profile for Dave Bird   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Bird   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, and cruising down the main street of town, even when you weren't going to the show. Checking out the girls in their summer clothes waiting in the outside movie lines (if you weren't at the drive-in). You knew they'd be there at 7 and 9. Now it's a concrete box in a parking lot. No fun to cruise there. No balconies, no fun. We've lost a lot. Did the chains drive people to the video store (by taking the "experience" away), or did videos spawn the mega-plex? Chicken or the egg right?

------------------
Dave Bird

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 07-29-2000 09:04 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doesn't anyone see what a wonderful scam online ticketing is? Sell people exactly the same thing, but do it less expensively (by setting up a web server instead of hiring high-school kids) and tack on an extra $2 "service charge" (lack-of-service charge?) for the privilege. This is just taking the Ticketmaster concept (charging $10 for an $8 ticket) to the next level. Of course, anyone who actually buys movie tickets this way probalby isn't very smart, since it's extremely rare for any non-opening-weekend show to sell out, except for "special engagements" and whatnot, but those are rare, too. I would say that people who buy tickets this way are lazy, too, but, at least around here, people who buy tickets with Moviefone still have to wait in line at the theatre to pick them up, so they actually end up spending more time than if they had just gone to the theatre and bought tickets there.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-29-2000 03:42 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
This magnificent scam goes further than just that. At the last theater I managed, we were required to hold X number of seats until just before showtime for people who didn't want to purchase tickets at the box office! When we explained the situation to them and "if you will please wait another 15 minutes sir, we will be able to sell those tickets, etc", most people left the box office only to show back up a bit later with "credit card reservations".

Very ingenious.

Marc Jones
Film Handler

- posted 07-29-2000 06:10 PM      Profile for Marc Jones   Email Marc Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My opinion is :
Its a way that eventually the film company will cut the theatre operator out of the theatre business.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: