Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » What digital projector should I use for advertisements?

Author Topic: What digital projector should I use for advertisements?
Adam Fraser
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-11-2002 07:35 PM      Profile for Adam Fraser   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Fraser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We are currently thinking about doing our own pre show advertising and want to use digital projection. The company that we are currently using has us set up with a Kodak Ektagraphic 3 slide projector running an 82 Volt 300Watt Osram bulb. Our approx. 18' by 40'screen is about 135 feet from the booth. The current image does not completely fill the screen with several feet on each side left black. I was just wondering if any of you could reccommend a digital projector and lens set up that we could use and a possible cost. We want to hook it up to a computer and run a power point or similar presentation. Any help would be appreciated.

------------------
Adam Fraser
www.pinestheatre.com

|  IP: Logged

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 03-11-2002 09:03 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
An average slide projector puts out 850 - 1200 lumen depending on the model. We have been selling projectors in the 2000 lumen or more range to make viewing of images more comfortable. Your throw is long, so don't be suprised is the lens is a major factor in the end cost.
Richard Fowler
TVP-Theatre & Video Products Inc. www.tvpmiami.com

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 03-11-2002 09:48 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have had great success with Sony's VPL-PX31 video projector. It has an optional long-throw zoom lens. As Richard has indicated, the cost of that long-throw zoom is a big hunk in the cost (I believe it is around $3000 on it's own, but don't quote me). The VPL-PX31 is a 2800 ANSI lumen projector so it looks reasonably good and bright in most situations and it is only as big as a typical slide projector (and often smaller).

Steve

------------------
"Old projectionists never die, they just changeover!"

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 03-11-2002 10:21 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have seen good results with the NEC unit

Adam Fraser
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-13-2002 08:42 PM      Profile for Adam Fraser   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Fraser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have been calling around for the last few days about digital projectors with one problem, none of them seem to really know anything about theatre installs of them. They are used to selling them for small conference rooms and presentations. Could any of you reccomend a company that is knowledgable with installing digital projectors in theatres?

------------------
Adam Fraser
www.pinestheatre.com

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 03-13-2002 09:43 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are several companies that will install and maintain these units.

I just talked to the owner, and we get "X" number of dollars per month to run the ads, so it doesn't cost us anything.

It might be the way to go.....

Adam Fraser
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-13-2002 10:04 PM      Profile for Adam Fraser   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Fraser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul,
we already have that and want to do it ourselves.

------------------
Adam Fraser
www.pinestheatre.com

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 03-13-2002 10:27 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We used to do that, too. But it was just too much of a hassle to search for clients, do the paperwork, keep track of everything, maintain the projectors, and have the media made, updated and maintained.

What was yielded vs the cost, maintenance and man-hours involved, it was not worth the hassle. This didn't even include the cost of the equipment.

Adam Fraser
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-14-2002 12:29 AM      Profile for Adam Fraser   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Fraser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is a possibility, I just want to check out what the complete package would cost to see if it is worth it for our one-screen. The tech has only been there once or so in the past year to maintain their slide projector so I really dont think that maintainence will be a problem. But thanks for all the info everybody.

------------------
Adam Fraser
www.pinestheatre.com

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: