Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » What?? $50 for 10 punds of butter!!

Author Topic: What?? $50 for 10 punds of butter!!
Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 04-05-2002 08:44 AM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

My theatre recently switched to odells butterfat topping. we found out that a 10 pound container of the odells costs close to $50. the floor staff was thrilled when they found out we'd be using real butter, but at this cost we cant do it for much longer. It is just too expensive. Do any of you guys know where we can get this stuff cheaper, possibly a different supplier or brand?

Josh

------------------
"Film is made of silver, video is made of rust"
'nuf said

|  IP: Logged

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 04-05-2002 08:45 AM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
oops!! my bad on the typo.

Jerry Chase
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-05-2002 09:21 AM      Profile for Jerry Chase   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Make your own.

Odells is just ghee. Buy any brand of real butter at any store that has a good price, stick it in a buttermat and let it heat for the entire evening. The oil and water will separate. Use a metal turkey baster to remove the water and a spoon to remove the gunk from the top. You'll save some money, but don't expect a major cost savings. Milk products are price supported.

BTW, you can't get good results using store butter directly on popcorn until the water has been removed. The water will melt the cornstarch and make part of the corn mushy and stinky.

Using butter oil as a topping is traditional, but I've never found that it adds anything to the taste except an oily feel and a way to catch salt and hold it on the kernals. Some people go ga-ga over butter though, so maybe they are tasting something I can't. People have different taste and smell sensitivities.

Adam Fraser
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-05-2002 12:11 PM      Profile for Adam Fraser   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Fraser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you want to switch to margarine, Gordon's Food Service (Warehouse Chain) has 17lbs. of liquid margarine for about $10.00. We have had no complaints about it. But I agree, butter is better.

------------------
Adam Fraser
www.pinestheatre.com

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 04-05-2002 03:51 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whatever topping Cinemark is using has a very good butter-like flavor to it. Regal's topping is almost tasteless by comparison. Now if Cinemark would offer powdered yeast for those who want it, their popcorn would be unbeatable.

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-05-2002 09:23 PM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does this mean those spoiled on Edwards real butter dispensers will be getting Regal's "tastelss" gunk?

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 04-06-2002 09:39 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, I prefer Odells real butter over all others...I just like the flavor and I will only get popcorn if the theatre has either that or Land-O-Lakes real butter. It is that simple. The other stuff just ruins the popcorn.

Last time I checked on using real butter on popcorn...it came to something like 8 cents per serving on the typical "regular or small" popcorn container that cost $2.00. So please don't whine about the butter cost.

Steve

------------------
"Old projectionists never die, they just changeover!"

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 04-06-2002 07:00 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here at Anacortes Cinemas, we use O'Dell's Supur Kist Two.

Ewwww......I just drank some. IKK!

To me, it tasted like Brenkert oil.

Jerry Chase
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-06-2002 08:14 PM      Profile for Jerry Chase   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ROTFL! How much Brenkert oil do you normally drink, Paul? Bob Maar may get envious.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 04-07-2002 01:18 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jerry, I still have 4 gallons of it yet, but it belongs to Josh. Maybe he'll let me have a gallon, and I'll ship two pints to Bob Maar to mix with his martoonies.

Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 04-07-2002 07:28 AM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think Jerry and Paul have come up with a unique and clever way to make my Martini's slide down the throat smoother. It may also help the joints work better.

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-08-2002 02:47 PM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you mix the Odells butterdat with an equal portion of Superkist II it tastes really good. IMO Better than the butterfat on its own.

------------------
--Sean McKinnon
Manager
Loews Cineplex Entertainment
Liberty Tree Mall 20
Danvers, Mass
www.enjoytheshow.com

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: