Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Star Wars Attack of the Clones theatre rufusals

Author Topic: Star Wars Attack of the Clones theatre rufusals
Tom Fermanian
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-27-2002 09:46 PM      Profile for Tom Fermanian   Email Tom Fermanian   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rumor has it that as many towns controled by indy theatre owners outside major citys in the Province of Quebec will all independantly refuse to play the new Star Wars if playing time and conditions are to be similar to the last one??This would represent at least 20 Playdates without counting in the number of double & triple prints? Any one hear of anything similar happening elsewhere?

------------------

|  IP: Logged

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 04-27-2002 10:42 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have heard an independent theater owner complaining about the same thing. Whether he books it or not is uncertain.

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-29-2002 11:01 AM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In Manhattan, Loews did not run Episode 1 and is likely not to run Episode 2. That's because Loews has not played any 20th Century Fox product in Manhattan since well before Episode 1. The reason? 20th insists on a "floor" (minimum film rental) for its titles. Loews' policy is not to pay a "floor" in Manhattan. Because of the Loews ban 20th was forced to open Episode 1 in some less-than-desirable theaters.

Ironically, Episode 2 may open at the Magic Johnson Theatre in Harlem -- a theater for which Loews handles bookings. The Magic Johnson played Ice Age and is currently playing High Crimes.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 04-29-2002 07:31 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As an indie, I can tell you I don't care much about the terms. We will play the damn thing as soon as we can get it. When things like this come along, I grit my teeth and remember the concession stand. Getting the movies our customers want to see is the most important... any indie who refuses this or any blockbuster "on principle" is making a huge PR mistake. The public does not care about the film terms...they just want their favorite theatre to play the movies they want to see.

Tom Fermanian
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-29-2002 07:42 PM      Profile for Tom Fermanian   Email Tom Fermanian   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well if you think that for your market the picture can draw for the 5-7-8-10 weeks that they will oblige you to play it in your biggest screen, having to have permission to change screens when they deem appropriate! be my guest, been there, done it!

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-29-2002 07:53 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't see Episode 2 having the clout to pull the crap Fox pulled with Episode 1. Many, MANY theatres were scalded by the non negotiable terms set by the prior and will NOT be burned twice over such product. I also don't feel that the public in general will beat the doors down to see this one. You will, of course, have those idiots, such as the two in Seattle, who will do ANYTHING to assure that thyey are the first to see it... I say, GET A LIFE!

------------------
The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: