Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Removal of 'The Core' trailers (Shuttle incident) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Removal of 'The Core' trailers (Shuttle incident)
Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-01-2003 03:31 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone else been instructed to remove The Core trailers due to the scene in the trailer where the shuttle blows up? I understand the thought behind the request, but I can't say that I find it reasonable. At any rate, I have complied with the request.

|  IP: Logged

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 02-01-2003 03:47 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well, I guess this will push the release even later in the year.

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-01-2003 05:34 PM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes. We received a call around 4pm instrucing us that they need to be off BY THE NEXT SHOWTIME. [Eek!]

I never really payed attention to the trailer, but I hope those patrons who saw it on the first two shows weren't scarred for life. [Roll Eyes]

=TMP=

John Carpenter
Film Handler

- posted 02-01-2003 08:28 PM      Profile for John Carpenter   Email John Carpenter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Was the request coming from Paramount or from a corporate office decision?

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-01-2003 10:54 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I applaud them for this. People go to the movies to get away from reality - not to be reminded of it......

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 02-01-2003 11:06 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How is a movie about a mission to the core of the earth going to remind people of the shuttle accident? Oh, because it's a vehicle with a crew. Well that covers a lot of territory.

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-01-2003 11:34 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve,

Watch the trailer. There is a scene in which a shuttle (Endeavor I think) blows up while in the sky from the gamma radiation (I presume) from the whole center of the earth not rotating.

I can't say whether it was a Corp. decision or Paramount decision. By the sounds of things, I'm leaning towards corporate...

Thomas, we had 5 screens to pull from and all were done between 1/2 and 4/5 breaks.

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-02-2003 01:35 PM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I heard that there was a scene cut from "Ferris Bueller's Day Off" before release where he fantasizes about going on the space shuttle; it was cut because of the Challenger explosion.

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-03-2003 08:55 AM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It must have been a Paramaount decision because a friend of mine said he had to pull the trailers as well.

IIRC, the shuttle gets hit by one of those storms and then crashes, not explodes.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 02-03-2003 09:14 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I told the managers that morning when I first came in that all The Core trailers need to come off and why and they agreed, so we yanked them then. About two hours later the managers were writing an email to let corporate know, when the email came in from corporate that as per Paramount, pull them off.

FWIW, there are two versions of the trailer, one slightly longer with the shuttle scene and a shorter one without the scene.

David Favel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-03-2003 05:00 PM      Profile for David Favel   Email David Favel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The rest of the world is waiting to see if any one complains, then a decision will be made.
To be honest I hadn't even noticed the shuttle.

Paul Konen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-03-2003 05:21 PM      Profile for Paul Konen   Email Paul Konen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is the link to the story.

Click Here

John Carpenter
Film Handler

- posted 02-03-2003 06:22 PM      Profile for John Carpenter   Email John Carpenter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well we got our email this afternoon - to immediately remove all of the trailers. It was a good move...

[ 02-03-2003, 08:43 PM: Message edited by: John Carpenter ]

James Pope
Film Handler

- posted 02-03-2003 07:46 PM      Profile for James Pope   Author's Homepage   Email James Pope   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We also got a call also from the studio on Saturday and pulled all of our "The Core" trailers from all of our prints. Little to my knowledge when I started our advertised sneak screening of "how to lose a guy in 10 days" on Saturday night, it started with "The Core" trailer where it shows in the first few seconds the shuttle crashing. I hope there wasn't anybody overly sensitive in the sold out theatre.

Aaron Haney
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-08-2003 06:05 AM      Profile for Aaron Haney   Email Aaron Haney   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All the trailers previously available online have been taken down as well -- even the ones not containing the shuttle footage. Apple's trailer page for Paramount contains a dead link to an old teaser that has been taken down. As I recall, that teaser did not have any of the shuttle footage in it, but it has been removed anyway. Also, the official site simply says "all trailers are currently offline".

EDIT: The above is no longer true. See next page.

[ 02-14-2003, 07:27 PM: Message edited by: Aaron Haney ]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: