Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Manager Scheduling (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Manager Scheduling
Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-30-2003 09:50 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When should a good manager (GM not assistant) be at the theater? Should a good manager be there on the weekends? Or would Monday-Friday matinee (no evening or weekend shifts) be acceptable? This is assuming the manager does his/her own schedule.

|  IP: Logged

Rachel Craven
Madam Moderator

- posted 07-30-2003 10:09 PM      Profile for Rachel Craven   Email Rachel Craven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My opinion the GM should have a schedule of Friday Night, Saturday Night, Monday Matinee, Tuesday Matinee, and Thursday Night. That in my opinion would be ideal...but the days off are split and a lot of people don't like to work on that kind of schedule.

Friday Night - Busy, for customer service and running of theater
Saturday Night - Busy, for customer service and running of theater
Monday Matinee - Movie Schedule, Some orders, Payroll
Tuesday Matinee - Remainder of orders
Thursday Night - Film Changes

That's just a VERY BASIC reasoning to why I chose those days. Obviously there are other duties but they usually would easily fall into the above shifts.

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-30-2003 10:19 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My schedule as a GM:

Monday Afternoon (bookings)
Tues and Wed off - unless there is a big Wed opening
Thursday - DOUBLE - 9 am till 1 am
Friday night
Saturday night
Sunday afternoon

I would hope to someday get Sundays off and work a Tues or Wed shift - because a lot of people look for me on those weekday business days..........

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-30-2003 10:56 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Rachel pretty much pegged it (but then again, any good manager knows this.) [Wink]

Friday and Saturday nights should be law for a general manager. This is the theater's busiest times and the GM should be present to ensure things run smoothly and patrons are satisfied. Accepting a GM position at a theater is voluntary resignation of your weekend partying nights...end of story.

Thursdays are massive end of week paperwork days, plus print changes. While GMs don't really need to deal with the films (there are people called projectionists for that nonsense), they do have stacks and stacks of ridiculous paperwork to complete.

Mondays for most theaters are booking, scheduling, and ordering days. Mondays should be a rule too.

Past that, fill in any extra times, but IMHO those 4 shifts should be required by any and all theater companies, be them chains or independents. Otherwise the theater will not run as smoothly and/or efficiently as it could.

Dino Panagiotopoulos
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-31-2003 12:28 AM      Profile for Dino Panagiotopoulos   Email Dino Panagiotopoulos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Rachel and Brad. That is how my GM pretty much fills his schedule through the week. He is supposed to be there when you need him the most.

Rachel Craven
Madam Moderator

- posted 07-31-2003 10:04 AM      Profile for Rachel Craven   Email Rachel Craven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Thursdays are massive end of week paperwork days, plus print changes. While GMs don't really need to deal with the films (there are people called projectionists for that nonsense), they do have stacks and stacks of ridiculous paperwork to complete.

When I was the GM I had to deal with the massive reports AND the filmwork all by myself! [Smile] Take in mind that was only a 3 screener. But where I am now the managers also do all the film work, 6 screen manager run theater... [Roll Eyes] Luckily the managers are pretty darn competent in the booth.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 07-31-2003 10:48 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
here is the way I feel about manager run booths. You should not have to do both. Have one manager run booth another run theater. That way if there are problems one can take care of the problem while the other takes care of the customers.

Michael Gonzalez
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-31-2003 05:22 PM      Profile for Michael Gonzalez   Email Michael Gonzalez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My Typical work week:

Friday 9am -7pm (Weekending paperwork)
Saturday 6pm - 230am
Monday 4pm - 1230am (Booking and such)
Tuesday 10am - 6pm
Thursday 5pm - 1am (Show change overs, some film, inventory)

I have a really good assistant so there is no problems leaving her incharge on Friday nights. BTW I manage a 9 screen theater.

Rachel Craven
Madam Moderator

- posted 07-31-2003 07:56 PM      Profile for Rachel Craven   Email Rachel Craven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Monday 4pm - 1230am (Booking and such)
Booking Monday night? [Eek!] Obviously you have someone else that does the actual booking right?

Michael Gonzalez
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-31-2003 08:17 PM      Profile for Michael Gonzalez   Email Michael Gonzalez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I meant bookings coming in (from corporate)for film scheduling, payroll and such. Sorry for the confusion. [Razz]

Rachel Craven
Madam Moderator

- posted 07-31-2003 10:04 PM      Profile for Rachel Craven   Email Rachel Craven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I figured! [Smile]

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-01-2003 01:20 AM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd say other than the obvious Fri/Sat doubles, Sunday off, Monday until the bookings/scheduling/ordering was completed, Tue/Wed off, Thur until the money is in the bank.

I currently am expected to work Thur-Mon from 1.5 hours prior to opening until the doors lock 5 days a week with lunch from 4-6pm.

No comment.

Bill Carter
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-02-2003 08:16 PM      Profile for Bill Carter   Email Bill Carter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I get to set my own hours as GM, and it looks like I keep about the same schedule as most others.

Friday and Saturday I'm generally in from about Noon or 1pm to closing. I just wouldn't feel comfortable not being there for our busiest shifts. Sunday is my only "official" day off, although I usually at least stop by in the afternoon to make sure everything is okay.

Monday is a long "office day", with bookings, scheduling and newspaper ads, ordering, and all that other stuff. Usually about 10am to 7 or 8pm.

I run a 10am press/trade/review/private/whatever screening of something or other almost every week, either Tuesday or Thursday morning. And, I devote at least one day a week to general booth and equipment cleaning and general maintenance. Even though I have a service contractor, I both enjoy and think it's important to keep my hands in as much of this part as possible.

During weekday "normal" business hours, either my assistant or I am here to check in deliveries and deal with the many service companies we support (HVAC, plumbing, electrical, etc.)

I addition to the mountain of Thursday paperwork, I supervise makeup and breakdown, even though I usually don't do all of this myself anymore. I select and set running order of the trailers, etc.

And, somewhere in all this, I mop a lot of floors and empty a lot of trash cans.

Michael Gonzalez
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-03-2003 01:24 AM      Profile for Michael Gonzalez   Email Michael Gonzalez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So Bill how long until you burn out and kill your self? Anyone want to start a pool?

R. Andrew Diercks
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-03-2003 02:20 AM      Profile for R. Andrew Diercks   Email R. Andrew Diercks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fridays 10am to close. Most daytime is filled with screening prints. no shows til 4 Mon-Fri. not really work
Saturdays 11:30-close
Sundays til 5
Monday, Tues, or Wed off otherwise 2-close one of my weekdays I go early for office jargon.
Thursday is obvious, I don't do all make up or breakdown but I have to monitor trailer placement and where prints ship to and such.

Very occasionally I get a shortened weekend day for a family event or something.

BTW Brad I think I should cut and paste your weekend law as to send it to a couple managers of ours that need to learn this. [Smile]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: