Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Looking for Blade Runner & King Kong (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Looking for Blade Runner & King Kong
William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-08-2003 02:21 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A theater I work with has been trying to get Blade Runner, but nobody seems to have a print or rights to it. Warners says it's reverted to the Ladd Company, & they can't find or contact the Ladd Company.

Has anyone run this Blade Runner lately? Or does anyone have an idea how to get hold of the Ladd Company & a print?

Also, they'd like to run King Kong (1933) but can't find it. Warner has apparently "withdrawn" their print.

|  IP: Logged

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 09-08-2003 08:21 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is an entity called The Blade Runner Partnership involved too.

Perhaps you better ring up Sir Run Run Shaw!

Martin Brooks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-08-2003 10:52 PM      Profile for Martin Brooks   Author's Homepage   Email Martin Brooks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A beautiful print of King Kong was run in the last year at the Loews Jersey, which is now run by a non-profit group. You might want to contact them to see how they got the print.

Here's the website: Loews Jersey Website

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 09-10-2003 01:33 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There was a restoration of King Kong which was released here in the late '90s by the British Film Institute. It replaced a lot of footage which was cut from the 1938 rerelease in the US (mainly the close-ups of KK eating and stamping on natives in the village rampage scene and the scene in which KK climbs up a block of flats, pulls a woman out of bed, discovers that she's not Fay Wray and throws her out of the window, which was totally cut), and which was the only version previously available on 35mm here. In their current distribution catalogue the BFI list their print as running 99 minutes. More info here if you'd like to investigate further.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 09-10-2003 03:35 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Martin wrote:

quote:

A beautiful print of King Kong was run in the last year at the Loews Jersey

Were you there Martin?

I flew over with just a few days planning because things were bad at work, and I just had to get away from things for a few days. I arrived on the afternoon of the first screening of the weekend, and returned home on the Wednesday morning. As I walked past the theatre an hour or so before the show I met Bernie Anderson; he was quite surprised to see me there.

It was indeed a very good print, as has been almost everything, at least the features, that I have seen there.

The last two film seasons there have been programmed by Bob Furmanek. He has been very successful, both in programming material which has brought in a good sized audience, and in obtaining some very good prints. I don't know if he will be programming the next season of film at the theatre, at the moment he is involved with the forthcomming 3-D festival.

Martin Brooks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-10-2003 07:00 PM      Profile for Martin Brooks   Author's Homepage   Email Martin Brooks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, I was there (otherwise I wouldn't have posted comments about the print quality.) Here's my comments about the show from my original posting:
quote:
I was at the screening last night for King Kong, which I enjoyed thoroughly. I didn't realize how much I had forgotten about my childhood experiences viewing movies in a "palace."

Although most of the original ornamentation is in place at the Loew's Jersey (except for statuary and fountains in the hallways and lobbys), it was sad to see the toll that time has taken on the theatre. It was like going back to the childhood home that you loved and seeing the windows broken, the paint peeling, etc. And yet, the details and ornamentation were overwhelming and the atmosphere made me feel like I was 10 years old again.

Perhaps even more than the movie itself, all of the trailers and other ancillary materials and snipes brought me back to my childhood (and also gave the audience lots of laughs.) Even the trailer for Ghostbusters seemed like it came from some long by-gone era.

The image was impressively large, seemingly using all of the height available in the theatre. Seems to me that a 1.85 and especially an anamorphic presentation in this theatre would have so much less height as to be far less impressive.

The color images in the trailers had a color depth and sheen that you don't usually see today (in the older films, but not in the later Ghostbusters trailer, which was dark and murky). How much of this is due to the Technicolor processes used in the films and how much is due to the carbon arc presentation, I couldn't tell you. But while watching it, it almost made me think that either the carbon arc or the color processes were the equivalent of "analog" as compared with today's colder "digital" images. There were very warm colors in the "Horror of Dracula" trailer and extremely bright colors in the "Artists & Models" trailer that you never see on film today. But maybe that's because most filmmakers today desaturate the colors in their films.

The other aspect that impressed me was the sound quality. I had expected to be completely turned off by the optical (obviously non-Dolby) 1930's sound quality. Even as a kid I thought that film sound sucked, especially after getting a chance to see some of the Todd-AO and Cinerama films in first-run theatres. But the sound was surprisingly effective. I didn't miss the stereo spread, the higher frequencies or lower distortion of today's sound systems. At the same time that much of the dialogue sounded clipped, it also sounded surprisingly warm. And the long reverb delay time of the theatre's acoustics also brought me back to my youth and made me smile.

The print of King Kong was probably as good as could be expected for a 70-yr-old film and it was great to see it on a large screen, but the problem in seeing Kong in a theatre is that it made all of the special effects so much more obvious.

I'd estimate the crowd at 200-300 people. They were all very enthusiastic and cheered and laughed throughout the presentation. I just might swing back there tonight for the two horror films.

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-11-2003 12:35 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for all the info, folks. Leo's tip about the print at the BFI is GREAT - but ya worry how much would Fed Ex want to ship it! Ah, well.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 09-11-2003 03:06 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
MMartin wrote:

quote:

Yep, I was there (otherwise I wouldn't have posted comments about the print quality.) Here's my comments about the show from my original posting:

I didn't know if you had seen some of it other than at the public show, e.g. at a trial run if you worked at the theatre.

I've been to three events there, the science fiction weekend in April 2002, and the Frankenstein weekend, exactly a year later being the others. I had hoped to go back again this year, but it won't be possible. Maybe next spring, before the next film season ends.

The stock of carbons isn't going to last forever, there are still quite a few left, and I want to get over at least once more while they still have some.

When I was there in April this year the organ console was on the lift, but incomplete at that time. It shouldn't be too long before at least some of the organ is playable.

There's still a lot of work to be done on the theatre, and it won't be a quick job, but they have been getting some good audiences, about 700 for the Saturday of the Frankenstein weekend. If I lived a bit nearer I would join the volenteers, but I can't exactly pop over after work.

Martin Brooks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-12-2003 01:05 PM      Profile for Martin Brooks   Author's Homepage   Email Martin Brooks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The stock of carbons isn't going to last forever, there are still quite a few left, and I want to get over at least once more while they still have some.

What happens when they run out of carbons? Will they have to convert the projectors? I doubt they would have the budget for that and I thought the carbon projection looked fantastic.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 09-12-2003 02:35 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I was there for 'King Kong' I asked Bernie about the carbon supply. He said that he had enough to last for about two years. That was almost a year ago. In April I went up to the projection box with Scott Norwood after the show; there were still quite a few boxes left, there has only been one film weekend since then before they closed for the Summer. The Ashcraft manual lists two suppliers for the uncoated positives and 'special' (whatever that means) negatives, National and Lorraine. Both have now stopped production of carbons. Carbons are still being produced in Japan, India and China, but I have heard that Chineese production may end soon.

My guess is that the Loews will have to convert eventually. I hope to get there at least once more before that happens. In the meantime, if anyone has any spare carbons for Ashcraft Super Core-lites that they would like to donate ....

I am old enough to remember the time when most cinemas were burning carbons. Gradually, they all converted. I could always tell, as soon as the light hit the screen that this had happened. Xenon just looks somehow different, it's not just a question of the colour temperature, there's something else different about it; I'm not even sure what it is. There are now no cinemas that I know of using carbons in the South of England; the last two converted quite recently. The last I heard there were a couple of places in the North still on carbons, but the future of one was thought to be in doubt.

Martin Brooks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-13-2003 04:51 PM      Profile for Martin Brooks   Author's Homepage   Email Martin Brooks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd bet that carbons can be found in the booths of special venues - places like schools, religious organizations, companies and museums that have old projectors and few, if any, 35mm screenings.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 09-13-2003 07:33 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Carbon Arc is a continous spectrum of light produced by the sublimation of solid carbon and rare earths directly to a gas in the crater of the positive carbon. Xenon is not a continous spectrum but one of many lines of emision that they are so close togather that it appears to be an approximation of a continous spectrum. Just like a digitaly produced signwave is actually steps so close togather to produce what appears to be a smooth curve but in fact still is not

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 09-14-2003 03:45 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you want something like '7s and 8s' for a Peerless Magnarc, then it's not hard to find old stock of carbons, the ones for the Ashcraft Super Core-Lites are a rather different matter, far less places used them for one thing. These are big carbons, not quite wartime searchlight size, but much larger than most projection lanterns use. The postives are about 13mm diameter, at the moment the Loews is using joinable ones which are about 11 inches long, non-joinable ones are much longer, about 20 inches. They are rotated as they burn, and are not copper coated; the current is fed in via water cooled silver jaws, close to the arc end of the carbon. They run at about 160 Amperes. I dread to think what they would cost today, even the smallest sizes were over a pound a pair the last time I looked.

Joinable carbons haven't been made for years, I don't know why, they seem like a good idea.

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-14-2003 12:19 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Loews Jersey uses 13.6mm carbons.

Do to creative differences with an executive director who's ego has exceeded his good judgement, Bob Furmanek along with most of the people involved with the programming and running of the Loews Jersey's film series to date are no longer involved.

Bernie Anderson has put together a film series at the Union County Arts Center, which is the old RKO Rahway Theatre in Rahway NJ, another 1920's movie palace that is much further along in it's restoration. Bernie will also be playing the theatre's original Wurlitzer Theatre Pipe Organ before the shows. Let's all wish Bernie good luck with this new program.

http://www.ucac.org/Films.html

The Rahway Theatre is a few blocks north of the NJ Transit Rahway train station for easy mass transit access, and has free parking behind the theatre.

/Mitchell

Jesse August
Film Handler

- posted 09-14-2003 10:12 PM      Profile for Jesse August   Email Jesse August   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We ran Blade Runner a couple of years ago and the print looked like shit.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: