Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » "Rush in Rio" premiere at Regal Cinemas

Author Topic: "Rush in Rio" premiere at Regal Cinemas
Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-24-2003 04:42 AM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I waited a few days to post this for two reasons: to let my anger cool, and to really see if Las Vegas was the only problem location for the "Rush in Rio" premiere at Regal Cinemas.

I was going to go back to my "rant on stupid theatres" post and add to it, but I felt it deserved it's own post.

After I posted my rant on the Regal Village Square 18, I returned to that theatre because it was the only theatre within 600 miles that was going to be doing the "Rush in Rio" premiere, and being a huge Rush fan, I felt obligated to go. Knowing that the presentation was going to be digital I felt that at least the show was going to be 'up to snuff'. Picture-wise, it was fine. The sound quality sucked majorly. It was supposed to play in digital surround, it ended up playing only in 2-channel stereo. The kicker was that at the beginning of the second half (after a 15 minute intermission) the windows computer that this presentaion was playing on -CRASHED. It went to a network log-in screen and sat there for quite a few minutes (5 to 10). They eventually had to re-boot it and we saw the wonderful WINDOWS XP PROFESSIONAL NOW LOADING screen come up. What I did not know at the time is that we lost an entire performance of a song during the 'down' time period. On top of the problems that occured, no management person came in to tell us what was going on, or when the show was going to be back up. Needless to say, I was very disappointed.

When I got home that night I went onto the Rush Fan boards to see what everyone across the country experienced. After waiting a day, I now realize that EVERYONE had the same poor experience at every Regal location. One of my fellow posters at Rush.net evened mentioned he was at a location where the producers of the concert were present and they were horrifed at the presentation. They even said that the entire situation was Regal Cinemedia's fault.

I went back on the boards and provided my fellow Rush Fans the important phone numbers and contact information to help them 'voice thier opinion' to the executives at Regal.

(This next part is for the Regal people)

As for those of you at Regal's legal department and corporate office who frequent these boards (and others)to sniff out lawsuits - TAKE A HINT. Your company alienated THOUSANDS of people this past week. Everyone that I spoke to - will never return to a Regal Cinema ever again - including myself. Are you going to attempt to sue everyone who has something bad to say about your company? Have you ever heard of constructive criticism? Anytime I have placed a call or written a letter to Regal corporate (even my posts here)- it was done because I cared about the value and integrity of our industry AS A WHOLE. But, by never receiving a response back, and hearing that my letters and posts were passed around 'the office' and laughed at -that tells me where you stand. I am sorry that I ever cared so much for something that is so unimportant to you.Don't worry, you will never hear me talk about a Regal Cinema again - because I will never return to one.

Thank you.........................

|  IP: Logged

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 10-24-2003 09:54 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a link to the "Rush in Rio" concert information:

http://www.regalcinemedia.com/PressRelease_20031008.asp

Here is the comment card:

http://www.regalcinemas.com/corporate/comments.html

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 10-24-2003 12:43 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not excusing Regal or anyone else, but this *is* kind of new and they're learning how to use it and still refining it too I'm sure. Regal should have offered everyone a raincheck though. I would have been royally pissed myself.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-24-2003 02:17 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Was it normal $8 admission, or higher priced because it was a "concert"?

Perhaps Regal could get someone really good at tuning sound systems (verified with many people's opinions and not just passing a class at Dolby or THX) to run around the country and specifically tune up certain auditoriums that would be used for concert events such as this so it doesn't happen again.

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-24-2003 05:18 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I paid $8.50 to get in. I could care less about getting my money back - and no amount of passes or rainchecks would have sufficed. This post was put here due a combination of my experience at the premiere, everyone's elses experience at the premiere, and the fact that I found out my previous letter and my Film-Tech post labeled "Rant on Stupid Theatres" was literally passed around the operations department at Regal corporate and thought of as a joke. Working there previously, I could only imagine what things were said. Anyways, it is all water under the bridge now........

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: