Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Harkins Bricktown 16 in Oklahoma City (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Harkins Bricktown 16 in Oklahoma City
Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 06-22-2004 02:53 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been waiting to see what Harkins Theaters does with its first venture into Oklahoma with the Bricktown 16 in Oklahoma City, but the theater slated to open July 1 has had the opening date pushed back to end of summer or perhaps early fall.

There was an interesting tidbit I found in a news story about the theater on the Bricktown OKC website. Apparently the theater is being built with a different construction method from the usual sand-filled cinderblock we've seen in the past. The walls on this theater feature concrete walls up to 2 feet in thickness cast on site.

On the surface these thick, cast concrete walls (along with layers of sound proofing material and drywall) would seem to allow the potential for the screening rooms to have more beefy sound systems without much worry of sound leakage. However, "potential" doesn't automatically equal "follow through" for the appropriate hardware to be purchased and installed. An early press release about the Bricktown 16 claimed the theater would have the largest screen and seating capacity of any theatrical cinema screening room in the state.

I've never visited a Harkins' operated theater, although I understand they have had some good locations in their home market of Arizona. What are the opinions on Harkins and what can I expect with this theater? Naturally, I'm going to need to get some pictures of the place.

Here's a copy of the news story:
http://www.bricktownokc.com/press/pr57.html

quote:
Opening delayed for Bricktown’s 16-screen cinema
Steve Lackmeyer
03/18/09

The final walls go up today on a 16-screen Bricktown cinema, but the opening is being pushed back to early fall.

The $13 million Harkins Theatres cinema, a major anchor of the Urban Renewal project being built along the Bricktown Canal, originally was scheduled to open by July 1.

Spokeswoman Jackie Faubus said Wednesday the exact opening date is uncertain.

“We’re still hoping for the end of summer, but it could be early fall,” Faubus said.

Work also is almost complete on a $3 million improvement of the canal between Reno Avenue and Interstate 40.

City Engineer Paul Brum said a pedestrian bridge immediately south of the Sonic Corp. headquarters and new sidewalks through the area should be open within the next few weeks.

He said other improvements, including a vehicle bridge between the theater and Bass Pro Shops, and a plaza and fountain at the theater’s entrance, will open closer to the cinema’s completion.

This week was being hailed as a milestone for the theater, with the last of 130 concrete panels being installed today.

Weighing up to 250,000 pounds each, the wall panels are different from materials used to build most other theaters, Faubus said.

Instead of using cinder block and drywall, the Harkins walls were prefabricated on site and then raised by a crane.

The wall panels are up to 2 feet thick and include solid concrete at the core. They are surrounded by four layers of sounddeadening insulation before being covered with up to five layers of drywall.

“Harkins takes the movie-going experience seriously,” said Wayne Kullander, Harkins executive vice president. “These specially designed walls guarantee acoustically perfect auditoriums, which will be without rival in Oklahoma City.”

|  IP: Logged

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 06-22-2004 03:18 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm sounds like the construction we where using on our standalone multiplex projects four years ago [Razz]

Jason Burroughs
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-22-2004 04:57 PM      Profile for Jason Burroughs   Email Jason Burroughs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Often referred to as tilt-wall construction is a far superior way of construction auditoriums vs cinder block. The walls usually 6" to 8" in thickness (2 feet is near bomb shelter grade [Eek!] )

In the Dallas area there are a few theaters that were built with this method. Ones that come to mind are:

AMC Grand 24
Cinemark Tinseltown Plano
United Artists Galaxy

You can pretty much do heavy construction work in one auditorium and not hear it in the next.

During construction of the AMC Grand they ran some tests running 90dB in one auditorium and not audible in the next auditorium.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 06-22-2004 11:07 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't know the Grand 24 and Galaxy 9 theaters were made with this "tilt wall" method. I've never heard of theaters with walls built using this process, but have seen something similar to it with some large industrial buildings.

I guess the thing that concerns me is what kind of sound system gear (and perhaps projection gear) will be put into the auditoriums on top of the high end wall treatment. I remember watching "Die Hard With A Vengeance" at the Grand 24 when it opened in 1995 and distinctly recall a good amount of echo in the 400+ seat auditorium. Harkins' specs indicate larger amounts of drywall and sound proofing carpet than THX specifications normally demand so maybe that might show some promise. Still, they're not going to have really good quality installing the typical, small speaker systems I usually see in stadium seated theaters. With the boasts about "the largest movie theater screen in Oklahoma" in the press releases, I will be disappointed if I don't see some large enclosures in the room. IMHO, for stadium seated theaters it seems only IMAX theaters have decent sound systems. It is rare to come across a theatrical screen featuring stadium seating that also features good sound.

Harkins Theaters has a very good opportunity to make a bold statement in the Oklahoma City market. The other large theaters there (AMC Quail Springs 24, Cinemark Tinseltown 20 and Regal's Crossroads Mall 16) are okay, but not outstanding. I can watch a movie at one of those places and still feel smug about my home theater setup. When I encounter a great theatrical sound system then my home setup just seems stupid. And that should be the goal for movie theaters to hit. C'mon! Tromp it, biatch!

Does anyone out there have any experiences watching movies recently at a Harkins branded theater? What can I expect?

Jason Burroughs
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-23-2004 11:10 PM      Profile for Jason Burroughs   Email Jason Burroughs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The echo problems that you experienced at the AMC Grand is a result of their current design. There is NO sound aborbing materials on the wall, rather they are built at angles that in "theory" will defuse echoes. In addition there is only 1" of sound absorbing material at the rear of the auditorium. Add to this the convenient parabolic microphone placed at the front of the theater, called a HITS screen.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 06-24-2004 12:22 AM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Dickinson's Starworld 20 was built with tilt-up walls. The only auditoriums that did not bleed sound were the four large ones that did not share common walls with any other auditorium.

Mike Pennell
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-24-2004 01:57 AM      Profile for Mike Pennell   Email Mike Pennell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bobby wish i could help you but Harkins has not ventured down to Tucson. If they did im sure it would be an all out war between them and Century (who have pretty much cornered the market). Will Kutler and the other Phoenix guys should be able to fill you in. [beer]

Jason Burroughs
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-24-2004 01:02 PM      Profile for Jason Burroughs   Email Jason Burroughs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe I should clarify my statements regarding the wall construction. The tilt wall method buildings that I referred to also used these walls internally between auditoriums.

The Cinamark Tinseltown in particular was frustrating for various contractors, as they were not permitted to drill any holes in these walls between auditoriums. Making various wiring jobs and some HVAC jobs more difficult as all lines had to be run all the way to the back of the auditorium and back to the front of the adjancent theater if needed. But the end result was pretty good.

Adam Wilbert
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-24-2004 03:41 PM      Profile for Adam Wilbert   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Wilbert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was an assistant manager at a Harkins Theatre for about three and a half years. I've always been impressed with the way their auditoriums have sounded and their company-wide commitment to presentation standards. When I worked there, they rolled out their new "model" theatre complex with the Arrowhead Fountains 18. If memory serves me, it was built with double thickness cinderblock walls and all theatres were built to THX specs, though, I believe the company stopped paying for the certification. At the time I worked at Centerpoint and the remodeled Valley Art, Harkins was also looking into switching from Christie booths to Kinnoton setups. Not sure if this happened company wide though.

Is this Harkin's first venture out of Arizona? They were talking about California when I left about three years ago. Anyway, Harkins as a company is very focused on the sights and I know personally that the VPs are big sound buffs, so I would only expect the best. Good luck to them.

-adam

James Pope
Film Handler

- posted 06-24-2004 05:01 PM      Profile for James Pope   Author's Homepage   Email James Pope   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All the walls and risers at the redstone are built out of Styrofoam. Go Figure, I actually watched them do this. The booth floor is Styrofoam too, they lay out big chucks of it, skin them down and put a layer of concrete over them, the walls, they just drywall them over. Didn't intend to steal your thread just remembered. Didn't think it was that usual of a build.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 06-24-2004 06:08 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Adam Wilbert
Is this Harkin's first venture out of Arizona? They were talking about California when I left about three years ago.
I'm pretty sure this would be Harkins first build outside Arizona, if the theater listings on their website are any indication.

Harkins came into this deal late after Edwards Cinemas' plans to build an OKC Bricktown theater fell through. I'm not sure what caused that deal to fall apart (it was either squabbles with the OKC city council or just plain financial problems with the company). That was fairly disappointing because Edwards had said their Bricktown complex would sport 24 screens and possibly an IMAX 3D theater. The new Harkins build will be a somewhat more modest 16-plex without any IMAX theater.

quote: Mike Pennell
Bobby wish i could help you but Harkins has not ventured down to Tucson. If they did im sure it would be an all out war between them and Century
Century is one of very few circuits left who make bold use of THX. All of their new theaters have THX certification for every screen. There are a couple Century sites in Texas, but places like Corpus Christi are a little far for me to drive just to check out a movie theater.

I was pretty disappointed when Century decided not to build a 16-plex in Wichita Falls, TX (just an hour's drive from my home). Wichita Falls has to be one of the most under-served small cities in the country when it comes to movie theaters. All they have their is the Sikes Senter Mall 10 and Century City 6 theaters, both run by Carmike. Both are old theaters, but the Sikes was remodeled in 1997 from a small six-plex to a 10 plex with even smaller screens (all but two of which have this suck-ass fixed 1.85:1 type screen that crops the sides of 'scope shows). The Sikes had two THX screens, but they lost their certification not but a couple years later. The Carmike in my town is nearly 10 years old but still a much better theater. It would be EASY for a competitor to come into Wichita Falls and completely own that market immediately. I would encourage Century or any other chain with good presentation standards to rethink building there. I'm really surprised there's not already a Cinemark build there. Most markets (even my town) are over-screened. Wichita Falls is one of the few exceptions.

William T. Parr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-25-2004 11:53 PM      Profile for William T. Parr   Email William T. Parr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bobby I opened up the Century 16 in Corpus Christi 4 years ago. It is the only THX theatre in Corpus and it was a nice place to see a movie in back then. However on several subsequent Visits I have been slightly disaapointed in the the sound. Not so much as they are not THX qaulity as muchh as it is the sound level as been reduced to a rediculous level. When I ran the booth we ran all features at 6 to 7 on the fader, When I went down a couple of years ago and watched Meet the Parents in Aud 16, THX/DTS presentation, I went into teh booth aftewards to find the fader set at 4, surrounds were not even noticable, and the bass was very faint. Looking at the rest of the theatres fader settings most were inbetween 4 and 6 when I inquired as to why the were set so low, the person who was in charge of teh booth said the new manager wanted them there because she was no longer getting the occasional complaint about the sound being too loud. Century did not build any THX auditoriums in Oddessa and the only 2 theatres in Abilene had them. Both were built about the same time and look identical on teh outside. Both predated my theatre by 2 years so I am not sure when Century adopted the all THX/ all Stadium/ all Digital/ all the time attitude, but it happened between 1997 and 1999.

Mike Pennell
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-26-2004 01:35 AM      Profile for Mike Pennell   Email Mike Pennell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
William, didnt you guys have a pretty bad hurricane around the opening of the Corpus Christi?

William T. Parr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-26-2004 11:24 AM      Profile for William T. Parr   Email William T. Parr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike, Yes 1 month after opening Hurricane Brett slammed into the Texas coast 60 miles south of the theatre. We had no damage execpt for a few water leaks in the roof. Other than that the theatre was not harmed.

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-26-2004 08:51 PM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bobby Henderson
I'm not sure what caused that deal to fall apart (it was either squabbles with the OKC city council or just plain financial problems with the company
It was probably the latter. Edwards pulled out of several locations here in California, including one that was nearly finished (The Bridge). This was when they were in Bankruptcy protection. They were in such dire financial straits that they actually had to get court permission to spend money to restock their snack bars! It's a pity! They had some really creative designs, and I loved the way each auditorium in a complex had a different look, but they overbuilt to an excessive level that pitted a lot of Edwards Theatres against other Edwards.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: