Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Booth uniforms

Author Topic: Booth uniforms
Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-09-2004 11:14 AM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's out of morbid curiosity that I ask you this now...
I'm almost afraid of some of the answers, but...What do you all wear upstairs?

When I worked for an independant it was whatever you wanted to wear. Everybody had their own thing and that was fine.
At Wallace it was full floor staff uniform for projectionists and the booth manager wore the full manager uniform, complete with neck tie.

Currently at the chain I work for the policy in the book is the regular uniform. All employees wear the uniform, that's it. The uniform is black pants and black shoes with the company shirt.
However, since I've been there none of the projectionists have been wearing uniforms, just street clothes, nothing special.
In fact it shocked the management when I kept coming to work dressed in slacks and a nice shirt.
It really surprised them when I ordered a company shirt. Finally I've decided to institute a dress code, which the DM considers to be the way it should be anyhow, the company shirt and slacks or jeans, or an outfit that looks professional. My reasoning for this is because I was always told that the projectionist is part of the presentation and what the audience sees so it's only natural he or she looks like they belong there.

Whats more since the projection staff does end up down stairs, usually to check in theaters, and thefore has to talk to guests on cell phones, etc. it seems natural that they look like someone who should be telling a patron to quiet down or asking for a ticket when a kid runs into an R rated movie, like an employee.
The GM doesn't seem to think so though, and currently the only requirement is that projection doesn't wear hats.

So what does everyone else wear?

[changed title from "booth wear", which could be confusing such as wear and tear of equipment - Mod]

[ 07-09-2004, 01:38 PM: Message edited by: Brad Miller ]

|  IP: Logged

Wolff King Morrow
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-09-2004 12:01 PM      Profile for Wolff King Morrow   Author's Homepage   Email Wolff King Morrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Where I work, the full dress-code is enforced, regardless if you're a booth employee. Black "polishable" shoes, black socks, black work pants, a company jersey, and a hat/visor.

Christopher Seo
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-09-2004 12:28 PM      Profile for Christopher Seo   Email Christopher Seo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dominic,

Don't forget that (in California at least), if an employer requires an employee to wear a uniform, it must be provided free of charge (excepting perhaps a security deposit). Ask for a refund on that company shirt! [Big Grin]

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-09-2004 01:20 PM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't worry, it's only a deposit, so it's all good.
I learned my lesson at Wallace.

Ryan Luby
Film Handler

- posted 07-09-2004 01:22 PM      Profile for Ryan Luby   Email Ryan Luby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At my theater the lobby employees have to wear black dress pants and white shirt with tie, the norm. The managers have a bit more freedom; we have to wear dress pants and shirt with tie, of course, but the colors are ours to choose, as long as they are reasonable.

Our theater has two booths so I'm constantly running back and forth through the lobbies plus I do manager work, as well, so proper dress is required.
The only time the dress is a bit more laxed is after the last shows (obviously) and when building/tearing down movies.

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-09-2004 01:36 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've worked at two locations...
Mullers: Red vests, black pants, black shoes, nametag for peons
Black vests & above for leads
"Business attire" for assistants and managers
Projectionists wear street clothes, no nametag [thumbsup]

Marcus: Tux w/ ruffled shirt, bow tie, black shoes, name tag for non managers. Business attire for assistants and managers.

Mike Williams
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-09-2004 01:39 PM      Profile for Mike Williams   Email Mike Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't there already a thread on this here?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: