Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Has Regal discontinued video games?

Author Topic: Has Regal discontinued video games?
Gary Davidson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-20-2004 05:17 PM      Profile for Gary Davidson   Email Gary Davidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have heard that Regal Cinemas has discontinued video games in all of their theaters, is this true?

|  IP: Logged

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-20-2004 05:39 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, I don't think that's true.

Joshua Lott
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-20-2004 06:38 PM      Profile for Joshua Lott   Author's Homepage   Email Joshua Lott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was just at the Regal Goldstream 16 yesterday and they still have all of their video games... About 20 or so.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 08-20-2004 09:15 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
All of the Regal Cinemas that I've been in recently (quite a few in various regions of the country) still have them.

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-20-2004 11:28 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Regal (like many other large theater chains) has contracts with many regional game operators. Could it be that maybe the theaters in your area had their contract run out? Maybe Regal was switching game operators?

I honestly can't see Regal getting rid of the video games as they bring in revenue for them.

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-21-2004 04:13 AM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Games are usually a pure profit revenue stream for theatres. That is, there usually is zero cost associated with them. The game operators take care of all expenses and the theatre just gets their cut.

Given that fact it doesn't make much sense NOT to have games.

Rachel Craven
Madam Moderator

- posted 08-21-2004 09:26 AM      Profile for Rachel Craven   Email Rachel Craven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Regal Cinemas College Avenue 16 in Appleton still has them too.

Joshua Lott
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-21-2004 05:54 PM      Profile for Joshua Lott   Author's Homepage   Email Joshua Lott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Dustin Mitchell
Games are usually a pure profit revenue stream for theatres
This is not true. The theatres still have to pay for the electricity, and have to use floor space that could be used for other things.

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-21-2004 08:16 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, you got me there.

But if you are going to count floor space as a 'cost' then there is nothing that can be said to be pure profit. In that case, video games are probably as close as one can get.

Joshua Lott
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-22-2004 01:44 AM      Profile for Joshua Lott   Author's Homepage   Email Joshua Lott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I absolutely have to count floor space as a cost. If you don't have lease, rent, or a mortgage then you still have taxes that you have to pay each year.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 08-22-2004 12:59 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Enough with the video game threads. Discuss it here.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: