Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Stolen "Star Wars" one-sheet (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Stolen "Star Wars" one-sheet
Timothy Ervin
Film Handler

- posted 03-20-2005 01:08 AM      Profile for Timothy Ervin   Email Timothy Ervin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Earlier this week, I received the new one sheet for "Star Wars". I had put it in my office for "safe keeping", and one of my Assistants moved it upstairs where the older one sheets are kept (errrrrrrr),well guess what? One of the projectionist stole it. [Mad]

My boss is livid and wants it returned by Monday or there will be terminations. It is even to the point where movie privleges are considered being taken away from the entire staff for six months. It's certainly not fair to punish the rest of the team for the stupidity of one individual.

I know, it's only a one sheet, but you guys know how paticular Fox is about their "Star Wars" stuff. Back in 98, when the first Episode 1 trailers first came out I remember Fox sending out memos stating that the trailers had to be returned......blah blah blah. Anyway, I had a projectionist who took one of the trailers to sell on Ebay, he returned the trailer and was written up.

Has anyone else had a problem like this? If so, how did you handle the situation and what did you do to the person (s) who were at fault? What are the chances Fox will give us another one sheet, in the event this one does not turn up? Isn't it fucking crazy that something like this can cause so much stress? [Eek!] [Eek!] I mean, whoever would have thought? [Confused]

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-20-2005 01:19 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
To play devil's advocate, you shouldn't be blaming the projectionist outright, for it could've just as easily been that assistant manager! Think about it, if it disappeared from the office, it would be obvious that it was a member of management. By "innocently" moving it to the booth, it suddenly becomes an issue of management, projectionists and quite possibly floor staff having access to it...and the odds are that the assistant won't get the finger pointed at him because he is a member of the management team.

Your assistant is the one at most fault here.

BTW, nothing ever happened on Episode I or II when one-sheets and/or trailers were returned, so don't sweat it. It is after all just a friggin' poster! [Roll Eyes]

Timothy Ervin
Film Handler

- posted 03-20-2005 01:58 AM      Profile for Timothy Ervin   Email Timothy Ervin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, we found out that a certain projectionist stole another one sheet the same night SW vanished so that's why we are suspecting that certain individual.

I agree with you Brad, my Assistant is at fault.

I also want to say that I am one GM who does not believe that just because an individual is a member of the management team, it does not make them perfect.

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-20-2005 02:29 AM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is why I hide those "special" one-sheets above the ceiling tiles in the office.

Timothy Ervin
Film Handler

- posted 03-20-2005 02:46 AM      Profile for Timothy Ervin   Email Timothy Ervin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ahhhhhh good idea Mike! [Big Grin]

Chase Hanson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-20-2005 02:58 AM      Profile for Chase Hanson   Email Chase Hanson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Being an Assistant myself, this is solely the facilitators responisibility. I would discipline the staff member for the theft...I would PUNISH the Assistant for not thinking clearly.

Timothy Ervin
Film Handler

- posted 03-20-2005 03:06 PM      Profile for Timothy Ervin   Email Timothy Ervin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As of this afternoon, the one sheet "turned up" after employees went on a search.

Now everyone is happy, [Big Grin] lessons were learned [uhoh] . Case closed. [Cool]

Scott Balko
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-20-2005 09:03 PM      Profile for Scott Balko   Email Scott Balko   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, Mike, what other "special" stuff ya got in them tiles? [Wink] [Razz]

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-20-2005 09:30 PM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll leave that up to your imagination.

Dean Kollet
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-21-2005 04:29 PM      Profile for Dean Kollet   Email Dean Kollet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen a few instances where the managers were the ones stealing them, and selling them on eBay. Or the old, "I took the Star Wars banner how b/c there is no way it would last hung up". Total bullshit, especially when they hang them 10-12 feet up from the ground.

Adam Wilbert
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-21-2005 06:58 PM      Profile for Adam Wilbert   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Wilbert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought everyone hid stuff above the ceiling tiles!

Tracy Bellar
Film Handler

- posted 03-23-2005 11:22 PM      Profile for Tracy Bellar   Author's Homepage   Email Tracy Bellar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After a water leak in the lobby roof. We are suddely missing the Star Wars teaser posters, The Banner, And I havn't seen a one sheet yet. The Assistant Manager at the theater I work in has taken all previews home so I can only imagine where they have gone. My Dad has been a manager for thirty years and after every Star Wars left and we were done with the posters He gave them to me. Unfortunatly, The last movie to finish the series is missing. No advertising, No happy customers eyeing the movie poster thats been so long awaited. I remember as a child seeing the posters in the lobby was powerful (to a kid at least). The person that took the poster left a clue however so it's only a matter of getting them to confess and bring it back unless ups hasn't already delivered it to an e-bay buyer or something.

Brad Allen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-24-2005 12:39 PM      Profile for Brad Allen   Email Brad Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In my world, this is called theft. Taking a one-sheet isn't any different than if that person removed an amp from a sound rack and carried it out of the building to sell on E-bay.
Heads should roll.

Lee Michael Breese
Film Handler

- posted 03-24-2005 05:33 PM      Profile for Lee Michael Breese   Email Lee Michael Breese   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In my experince when I was the asst. It was true fault of management never to look into that if the asst. was at fault because he was in managment. I remember we found out things out my old theatre and employees were terminated and I saw a bunch of my friends get the axe from it. The thing was I was apart of it to and I was never questioned and I could have gotten away with it and no one would have known but I bite my lip and I told my manager that I was apart of it and even laid my keys on the desk because I was sure to get fired. I wish I had a camera at the time to see the look on her face. She was not angry which if you knew this woman you would be as shocked as I was. She called our district manager told him what happened and they let me stay I didn't even get written up which is another shocker for me. Well the whole point of this story is that experience helped me later on in the long run. I am a laid back manager on a lot of things and all my employees know that but they also know when they cross the line my punnishments or peniltys are a little harsher. The simple fact if I caught someone stealing posters or trailers they would be written up to according to what I think is fair. If they are caught stealing money lets just say I hope they enjoy sitting in the backseat of a car in handcuffs. I don't know I am a young manager I am going to make mistakes and keep making them but that is what makes you better in the long run.

Christopher Duvall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-28-2005 02:53 AM      Profile for Christopher Duvall   Email Christopher Duvall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of the theatres here in Vegas had two of the teaser posters stolen by 2 assistants. They are now currently unemployed due to theft of company property. That says it all for me.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: