Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » BloodRayne's distribution "strategy" (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: BloodRayne's distribution "strategy"
Bret Abel
Film Handler

- posted 01-10-2006 04:22 AM      Profile for Bret Abel   Email Bret Abel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From Variety:
quote:
Vidgame adaptation "BloodRayne" has apparently turned out to be a debacle for new indie distrib Romar. Company didn't report grosses or return calls, but word from sources is that it came in at around $1.2 million. After promising to play 1,915 theaters Thursday, pic ended up on 985. Word is that exhibs received hundreds of prints that they didn't order and refused to play. Per play average looks to be a little over $1,000.
Anyone get a print of BloodRayne even though you weren't scheduled to play it? Apparently, some theaters screened it on Thursday night and sent it back in on Friday morning, or just sent it directly back without even opening the cans.

|  IP: Logged

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 01-10-2006 04:42 AM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, TES dropped it off along with Munich last Thursday. It left later that evening after a call to TES.

Nope, we didn't book it.

-Aaron

Jason Whitlock
Film Handler

- posted 01-10-2006 09:24 AM      Profile for Jason Whitlock   Email Jason Whitlock   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/40244

quote:

A projectionist from UltraStar Cinemas has revealed to Shacknews a rather huge error made with the distribution of Uwe Boll's latest cinematic endeavor, the BloodRayne adaptation featuring such well-regarded thespians as Ben Kingsley and Michael Madsen. The UltraStar employee explained that when he got into work last week, he noticed that the theater had received a copy of BloodRayne. This seemed odd because his particular theater generally shows films aimed more at the arthouse set. "I didn't want to build this and put it in my theater," he said, so he checked up with UltraStar higher-ups. It turns out that a computer error resulted in the print being sent to 5,500 more theaters nationwide than was intended. "The computer that placed the order, instead of selecting just the correct theatres, it also selected 5,500 additional theaters, so they made that many extra copies." Whoops.

I asked how much each print costs, and he said that in total, it costs about $5,000 to have each set of reels delivered to a theater, meaning that as a very rough estimate the total costs incurred may be upwards of $27 million. "And that's 27 million that didn't go into production, didn't go into marketing, it's just expenditure that's sitting there," he said. "I mean, I know Ben Kingsley was in Ghandi, but nobody gets to just throw away that much money for nothing."

The situation is exacerbated by the fact that, according to Variety, the film is only showing on 985 screens, just over half of the original target of 1,900--and that's separate from the thousands of accidental extra copies. Now, the film is already millions in the hole and it earned only $1.2 million during its opening weekend, failing to place it in the top ten. Uwe Boll has had a lot of second chances, but might this spell the beginning of the end for the self-described misunderstood director?

the numbers seem a bit exaggerated, but it's definitely an expensive computer glitch..

Jeff Lacey
Film Handler

- posted 01-10-2006 09:43 AM      Profile for Jeff Lacey   Email Jeff Lacey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Bret,

Hope everything is great in Ann Arbor. To answer your question, my theater did receive a print of Bloodrayne, while I did not book it nor order it. DHL just dropped it off. I called Technicolor, and they said that this was happening to a lot of theaters.

It looks horrible, BTW, did you see it? I didn't even bother opening the cans.

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-10-2006 10:05 AM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
A projectionist from UltraStar Cinemas has revealed to Shacknews
And the investigation and terminations ensue ...

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 01-10-2006 10:23 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We were booked with it and got the print the other two theatres we have here got a print too but they are not booked with it. I wonder where the computer clitch happened. If it was not on the end of the distributor then I would think that they should not have to bare the cost. It should be a loss on the labs if it was an error on their part I would think.

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-10-2006 12:00 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"The computer that placed the order, instead of selecting just the correct theatres, it also selected 5,500 additional theaters, so they made that many extra copies." Whoops.

Dear god, has there ever been a bigger mistake than this in terms of mistaken print quantities?

Chris DeGour
Film Handler

- posted 01-10-2006 12:08 PM      Profile for Chris DeGour     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not only did we get it, but every theatre under our wing in the relative area got it.

One theatre that's showing it received 3. They only have 1 screen.

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-10-2006 01:16 PM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Imagine my surprise when Tech came marching in with it and it wasn't on any of our schedules.
A quick call to our home office turned up that every theater in our chain had received a print of Bloodrayne though none were booked for it.

My theory is that they sent it to all these theaters in hopes they'd screw up and play it anyway because no one wants to touch it!

Though we have employees who want to see it I will not be screening it.
I don't want anything to happen to a print we're not even booked for.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 01-10-2006 01:26 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At least in Massachusetts, if one receives a delivery of a product not ordered, it is illegal for the sender to pressure the recipient to pay for it or return it. I guess a lot of theatres now have some free test film.

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-10-2006 04:42 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the second article is off the deep end. How could a distributor print thousands of extra prints? Hundreds, as per the Variety article, I could imagine. But if 5,500 extra prints were distributed, I'd think some F-Ters would have reported this bungle last week.

Data entry mistake?

Bret Abel
Film Handler

- posted 01-10-2006 04:49 PM      Profile for Bret Abel   Email Bret Abel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jeff—no, I haven't seen it. I'm trying to stay as far away as possible; from what I've heard, it's gonna be one of the worst of 2006. How's Canton?

I found this from http://www.mcnblogs.com/thehotblog/archives/2006/01/birth_of_a_noti.html ...

quote:
After reading a FilmJerk.com piece that suggested that the release of Bloodrayne was in trouble already (it launched today) and that its first-time-out distributor, Romar Entertainment might sink with it, I called up Romar to see what they had to say.

I spoke to Jim Schramm (Founder, CEO, and President of the company) about the situation with the 3-month-old company that offers to handle distribution, marketing, and publicity for indie filmmakers for just 20% or so of the rentals. Schramm, who has partnered on the company with actor Billy Zane and his distribution VP Rizza Magsayo, is an affable enough guy and was very positive about the future for both Bloodrayne and Romar.

Mr. Schramm acknowledged that the original release plan for a 2000 screen release was reduced to just 985 playdates this weekend when in recent days, some of the major chains reduced the number of screens they were willing to give the action thriller. As FilmJerk reported, many prints went to theaters that weren’t playing the film. But according to Schramm, this was because Romar struck 1600 prints and still hope to expand to 1600 screens in an expansion next weekend. In addition, they expect to take the film to Canada on 500 screens on February 3.

Schram says that Romar has spent $22 million in P&A on Bloodrayne, including four thousand 30-second TV spot buys and one thousand in-theater ad buys at AMC and Regal Theaters.

That said, Schramm and Magsayo did book this movie themselves. They are in the process of hiring an experienced booker in the immediate future. And given that Schramm says Romar has 15 more films awaiting distribution, they better hurry up.

In the meanwhile, with its 985 screens, Bloodrayne ranks #17 on Rentrak as of 2pm today.

$22 million in marketing costs?!

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-11-2006 02:24 AM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We got it too, but the film was never booked. I think it is still sitting up in the booth right now, as our people did not know what to do with it yet.

AJG

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-11-2006 03:26 AM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We-along with a bunch of other theatres in my company in this area-also got a print though we were not booked for it.

Matt Whitney
Film Handler

- posted 01-11-2006 11:50 AM      Profile for Matt Whitney   Email Matt Whitney   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We received a print as well, and we're a second-run theatre!! It was picked up on Monday.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: