Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » AMC's Matinee definition

Author Topic: AMC's Matinee definition
Pravin Ratnam
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-14-2006 01:23 AM      Profile for Pravin Ratnam   Email Pravin Ratnam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
AMC got rid of the twilight shows a while ago. That pretty much removed the value thing they sold over other chains. THen the matinee and other discount pricing were set as a higher percentage of the undiscounted ticket prices(which applies for other chains as well).

But recently, AMC has taken it a step further. I went to an AMC after a long time in Atlanta to a 4:15 Saturday showing of United93 and was told that it was not a matinee. Matinees ended at 4pm on weekends. What the hell?

Couple that with the fact that AMC's discount passes are not even that cheap anymore, I say that is even less of a reason to patronize them since their quality is not exactly sterling.

|  IP: Logged

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-14-2006 09:02 AM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Small Clarification:

"Matinee" means Afternoon Performance

"Discount Show" imply that the ticket price will be lower

I could charge $15 for a matinee but have a discount show for $7 at 10:00 PM.

The industry uses Discount Shows to bolster attendance at traditionally slow times. When operational income needs to be higher, discount shows suffer. If AMC finds that the 5:00 PM shows are suffering, they will discount them.

I think the fragmentation of the traditional working hours has meant that more people are available at non-traditional show times. Therefore, why discount them.

There is no empirical right to a discount at a matinee.

What is more amazing is that the 7:00 PM show on Friday and Saturday night isn't priced at a premium like $15.

I have noticed an industry trend away from discounting Matinees. In the Bay Area the discount show tends to be the very first one at 11:00 AM. And in NYC there are no discount shows.

Mike Croaro
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-14-2006 04:41 PM      Profile for Mike Croaro   Email Mike Croaro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greetings:

In the SF Bay area UA runs their matinee prices until 6PM everyday. So do a few other smaller chains in the area.

Mike

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-14-2006 10:59 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I went to the Regal Hacienda Crossing in Dublin, CA and the Discount Show was just the first one.

So enjoy your UA discount while it lasts.

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 05-14-2006 11:36 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Many Century plexes cut off matinee prices at 2pm Saturday and Sunday. Have so for a few years now.

Pravin Ratnam
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-15-2006 12:15 AM      Profile for Pravin Ratnam   Email Pravin Ratnam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its a good thing I ordered 40 regal discount tickets at 5 bucks each which would cost me only 6.50 with the surcharge for new movies.

Mike Croaro
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-15-2006 04:35 PM      Profile for Mike Croaro   Email Mike Croaro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...Matinee price limited to first showing of the day....

This isn't bad if the first showing is at 1:30 or 1:45 PM. Landmark theatres start their shows at 2:00 or 2:15 at some of their locations.

But it's more of an issue when the first show starts at 9:45 AM, or 10:00 as the AMC Metrion in San Francisco sometimes does. Unless you pre-plan your moviegoing day you're sure to miss the first sho as it's scheduled so early.

Just my thoughs.

Mike

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-16-2006 03:36 AM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
you mean the sony metreon? what's really great is when they have more than one print of something: 9am matinee, 9:30am full price. going there is only justifiable if you go first thing, pay bargain price to get in, and stay for several movies. yeah, i said it. even then, at least one of them will be scratched.

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-16-2006 07:07 AM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This 'matinee definition" thing reminds me of something else the big chains like to pull on their assistant managers (and GMs):

They used to have a program where you would get paid extra for working shows that are outside regular business hours. Then one day some corporate DH decided that the could save even more money by coming up with 'new' business hours whenever it was convenient for them. What this meant was if you normally reported to work at 10 am on a matinee and they decided to run earlier shows, you had to be to work earlier yourself (working 3 or 4 hours extra) and still getting the same pay! When this starting happening, I questioned it, I was told that since we were 'salary' that we were not eligible for the extra pay anymore. Eventually the 'dark time' pay went away.

[Mad]

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-16-2006 10:37 AM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just to complicate the issue further, AMC is running early shows on Saturday, Sunday and Wednesday usually between 10:00 and 11:30. Admission for these shows is $4.00.

I like these shows as I can go see the film, then still have the rest of the day to run errands, etc.

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-16-2006 01:14 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With competition from locally-owned theaters, I'd be surprised to see this fly around minneapolis. Mann & Muller, the MN multiplex kings run discount matinees til 5:30, we run til 6. Then there's the immensely popular Riverview with an aggressive second-run schedule, decent presentation, lobby lounge & real butter, all for three or four dollars, $2 on weekend matinees. They fill those seats.

Carmike, Landmark & Marcus have their single set of discounted shows, usually in the middle of the afternoon. Locally, AMC hasn't really made the move on any existing, decent multiplexes. All of their recent bows were within the range of their other suburban locations. Crown remains the only big first-run name in either Mpls. or St. Paul proper, and they've got the street gangs in front of their doorway [Frown]

Most of the people that tell me they don't enjoy seeing movies in their nearby theater usually live within spitting distance of an AMC or Carmike. Regal has fewer complaints, but people are starting to revolt against those Firstlooks, 2wenty's... That's what our patrons come to get away from, plus we're first run at $5.50 matinee price.

Jeff Arellano
Film Handler

- posted 05-18-2006 11:53 PM      Profile for Jeff Arellano   Email Jeff Arellano   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Arclight hollywood doesnt even carry a true matinee. Non-Peak is usually the first show Sa-Sun and first two on weekedays.

Regular Non Peak ($11.00)
Member Non Peak ($10.00)
Senior ($9.75)
Infant ($11.00)
Child Matinee ($7.75)
Member Senior ($8.75)

Regular ($14.00)
Infant Prime ($14.00)
Child Prime ($9.75)
Member Regular ($13.00)

They charge more for infants than children. Therefore you rarely get any.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: