Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Cinearts Theatres shun F & I films for Hollywood fare (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Cinearts Theatres shun F & I films for Hollywood fare
Mike Croaro
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-23-2006 07:39 PM      Profile for Mike Croaro   Email Mike Croaro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Folks:

Whats up with the Cinearts @ Emprire (SF) and Hyatt(Burlingame)? Both theatres seem to show Hollywood films these days. Both played Mission Impossible III and Da Vinci Code. The Hyatt is slated to open X-Men III this Friday.

Too bad. The Foreign and independent films fit these cinemas much better than mainstream films.

|  IP: Logged

Ky Boyd
Hey I'm #23

- posted 05-23-2006 09:17 PM      Profile for Ky Boyd   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Because unlike Landmark Theatres and many other independently owned arthouses, Century's CineArts Theatres aren't true arthouses. It's just branding, the same as AMC's "AMC Select" and Regal's "Cinema Art."

Century plays the cream of the arthouse crop in their CineArts theatres, mostly product from the specialty divisions associated with the major studios. It is really rare to see CineArts play much of the more obscure, less wide appeal titles that come from many of the smaller distributors.

They also play off art house product fast and don't give it a chance to breathe and find its audience. And when the studios and they smell money on big tent-pole pictures like MI-3, DV Code, and X3, they put them in the CineArts theatres to boost the screen count. DV Code is playing at both Century's San Jose Complex and at CineArts at Santana Row. These theatres are across the street from each other!

To be fair, DV Code is much more defensible as a film to put in an arthouse as it truely has adult audience appeal and by playing in some arthouses it will attract those who might not go to the big megaplexes that are invariably catering primarily to the teen to 20 something market.

Eric Hooper
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-24-2006 03:19 PM      Profile for Eric Hooper   Email Eric Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Century to the Art House Films: "I'll drop you faster than your puny grosses screwed me over!"

[ 05-24-2006, 05:17 PM: Message edited by: Eric Hooper ]

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 05-24-2006 03:34 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But Ky, I do seem to recall that you played My Dog Skip at Rialto shortly after you opened it... [Smile]

-Aaron

Dan Zastrow
Film Handler

- posted 05-24-2006 03:47 PM      Profile for Dan Zastrow   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Zastrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ky-What you said....

And its always the "$" and should be for a big chain like Century. But my concept of a true art house is that its part of the community. For instance-how did your bicycle to the theater day go? A great local event but not a moneymaker for you.
We had 300 kids here yesterday to watch FAVELA RISING and didn't make a dime. On Monday night we showed AGEING OUT about the crises with foster children growing out of the system with zero life skills. Important films that should be seen. At the same time we'll run WATER and MRS. PALFREY AT THE CLAREMONT and certainly work to maximize our box office but that is not the sole reason to be here.

Andrew McCrea
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-24-2006 05:03 PM      Profile for Andrew McCrea   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew McCrea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are the CineArts actual theatres, with all screens devoted to "independent" fair, or is it a deciated screen in a few complexes?

Eric Hooper
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-24-2006 05:16 PM      Profile for Eric Hooper   Email Eric Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, they WERE all-screen dedicated to art films, but the Marin and the Hyatt have gone blockbuster with DVC, X-men, and Poseidon this week!

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 05-24-2006 05:37 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How well were these theatres attended showing independent and foreign fare? The artsy types whine incessantly about the lack of the fare they say they want to see, but when a theatre puts its neck on the block and shows the stuff nobody comes. Catering to these people is financial suicide. No matter what, the bills still have to be paid and art films don't cut it.

Dan Zastrow
Film Handler

- posted 05-24-2006 05:53 PM      Profile for Dan Zastrow   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Zastrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bill-
That’s the problem that Ky was obliquely referring to. The chain theaters designate a screen to be "art" and take the cream of the crop of the cross over art films that would help to sustain the true specialty movie house that also runs some of the more esoteric, less mainstream films that don't pack as much box office.

Caleb Johnstone-Cowan
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-24-2006 06:52 PM      Profile for Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Email Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I really dislike it when a cinema professes to be an 'arthouse' yet will show the biggest blockbusters when they come in. Or the arthouse down the road from us will programme exactly the same foreign/'art' releases we're showing. Yet somehow they're more worthy than our chain. Why not just be honest and trade on snob value?

Ky Boyd
Hey I'm #23

- posted 05-24-2006 09:09 PM      Profile for Ky Boyd   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Aaron we did play My Dog Skip. But My Dog Skip is much different than MI-3. [Smile]

There seems to be a preconception here that all arthouse films are small grossers. Our run of Brokeback Mountain in Santa Rosa outgrossed our competitors run of King Kong by a wide margin and both opened the same week. Check it out on Rentrak if you don't believe me. Water, which is playing both at the Rafael and the Rialto is an excellent example of why the major chains are ill-suited to specialty films when the tent-poles are coming out. The film opened decently but not spectacularly but word-of-mouth has helped it increase its business while Art School Confidential opened quickly (and way to wide I might add) and is fading.

Dan - the bike thing is tomorrow, but you are right, I'll lose money on the movie but hopefully those hungry/thirsty bikers will hit the snack bar, which is why we chose a film with family appeal. (Anyway, its gotta be better than last year when it rained. That was really a disaster.) But either way, its a great community relations move to do the event. The bicycle coalition loves it and its a way for me to help them get the word out about biking and possibly get a few folks who haven't been to the theatre to come check it out. Hopefully they will like what they see and come back for more.

Bill - properly done, art films can pay the bills and as you say "cut it." In six years, my theatre has lost money in one year, the first one, and has been profitable every year since.

Caleb Johnstone-Cowan
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-24-2006 09:21 PM      Profile for Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Email Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can't you get smaller films on better terms from the distributor? Or run two independent/foreign films in one screen, that seems to work for us even on move-overs, can nearly sell out the smaller screens.

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-25-2006 04:01 AM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While everyone is championing Landmark, let's look at some of the films they've played at the Midtown 8 in Atlanta.
Now Playing: The Da Vinci Code, American Dreamz. Opening Friday: X-Men

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-25-2006 09:09 AM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark Cuban is a smart man, but he doesn't know the Specialty film market. It just gives opportunity to many other exhibitors. And look out, here comes Sundance.

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-25-2006 12:54 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Everybody loves the 'indie film' label. So much that it's excruciatingly overused by studios & theaters alike. Fox Searchlight, Paramount Classics, Warner Independant are all on the bandwagon. It's easy comarketing for them & the theaters which makes me more than sketchy about the validity of the term independant as it applies to any major studio's releases. They've choked their "big studio" divisions with uninspired tripe so that smaller films might seem apealing on the basis that their budget isn't appallingly huge. But does that mean the film is a true indie? Not in my opinion.

But I applaud the effort at anything better from studios & theaters, I just don't want to see indie become a genre rather than a classification (any more than the damage done, at least).

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: