Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Are commerical Rep/Art theatres dead?

Author Topic: Are commerical Rep/Art theatres dead?
Paul Gordon
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-25-2006 08:45 AM      Profile for Paul Gordon   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Gordon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just wanted to get your views on this one. Is anyone doing well or at least making a little money running a single screen Rep/Art theatre? I ask because a lot of Rep/Art theatres in Canada have been closing lately (5 in Toronto will be closing by the end of June 2006). Also its been in my mind for a while to open one, but the way things are going it sounds like I would be shooting myself in the foot. I'm talking commerical theatres here, not local community screens backed by city groups, non-profits or festivals.

I know 35mm equipment is super cheap to get but will people come to the theatre, even if your presentation is kick ass and you do things a little different?

Is the local neighbor hood cinema dead or dying?

|  IP: Logged

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-25-2006 09:03 AM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Single Screen Cinemas are dead
Repertory Theatres are dead
Sub run Theatres are dying
Neighborhood Theatres are Neighborhood specific

Art Cinemas also called specialty cinemas are a growing trend. See Landmark Theatres, Sundance Theatres, Century CineArts and many independents.
Art Cinemas should be multiplexes just like regular theatres. 3-screens seems to be the low end of the screen counts, 8-screens is my own personal sweet spot. There is enough specialty product to keep 8-screens running Art/Specialty all the time.
But remember, Art/Specialty appeals to a lower percentage of the general population so a large population helps. Also marketing is king. You have to inform your public that you are there and what you are presenting. This is where many people fall down.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 05-25-2006 09:24 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Little Theatre is still successful with five "art" screens in Rochester:

http://www.little-theatre.com/about.php

http://www.little-theatre.com/comingSoon.php

quote:
This has been quite a year of change for the Little, with first and foremost the retirement of founder Bill Coppard. Through it all, the Little has continued to offer great independent film, world-renowned jazz artists, impressive local art, and of course the best popcorn in the business.

As the year draws to a close, we thank you for your support as a member of the Little Theatre Film Society, and ask you to consider an additional year-end gift.

The business of film is by nature cyclical – we can’t count on hits like Ladies in Lavender, Capote and Good Night, and Good Luck, and some of the best films only provide minimal box office tallies.

With your support, we have a cushion to weather the slow periods and provide needed improvements to our historical (and aging) facilities. With your support, we can program freely, without worrying if it’s worth it to play small independent and foreign films, which might not draw the crowds of other, more commercial films. With your support, we can pick the best films all the time, fulfilling our mission to play films which otherwise wouldn’t be seen in Rochester.

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-25-2006 12:45 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Landmark certainly has a hold on the art fare in Minneapolis. True, most of our single screens are closed, but many great ones still prevail. Landmark's Uptown is open seven days a week, with a faithful Saturday midninght crowd. The charming Suburban World is hosting films, concerts & plenty of other events. The Riverview continues to thrive as a single sub-run, only made easier by the fact that the auditorium is half-stadium, but also owes a lot to the upkeep of the theatre & neighborhood in general. The mighty Terrace has plans to be revitalized into a new north community center, but oh that roof. The same goes for the Hollywood, now a slime hall sadly. The Heights is, of course, the crown jewel of town & won't likely be going anywhere if film buffs keep it alive & operating.

The big downtown houses have changed, but the state government has seen fit to fund the preservation of some, like the Orpheum, the State, the Pantages, and recently the Shubert (Academy or Alvin) cleared the first hurdle to restoration, even though the world-record two block move of the building required, basically, the gutting of the entire interior & destruction of the mammoth stage house.

On the St. Paul side, Mann continues to operate the Highland 1 & 2 and the Grandview 1 & 2, both well attended. Either of those could probably do better if Ted Mann's decor was removed & original decor reinstituted. Basically, like the Heights formerly was, Mann just draped all the auditorium walls & ran with it, covering up any artwork or design behind it. The Mound theater, reputed to be haunted by an old projectionist, recently reopened to sporadic films & events.

Our theater qualifies as a neighborhood theater. People from the University or north side neighborhoods have only 5 screens at St. Anthony Main on their side of the river & more & more people are choosing to stay away from the increasingly uncivil Block E-15 downtown. Our indie content is limited to move-overs from Landmark's 3 houses, though. We're the part of town for art, but Uptown is so desired by suburbanites...

Mark Lippert
Film Handler

From: Milwaukee, WI, the birthplace of people from Milwaukee, WI.

- posted 05-30-2006 06:30 PM      Profile for Mark Lippert   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Lippert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The theater I work at is a local neighborhood single screen Rep/Art theater. Our presentation is kick ass and we do things a little different. Unless you're independently wealthy, I'd think long and hard about going into such a venture. This probably doesn't need to be said, but I seriously doubt you'd get rich doing it.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 05-30-2006 06:53 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Ian Price
8-screens is my own personal sweet spot
For Lease

(though Regal may have non-movie intentions for the building)

Christopher Crouch
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-31-2006 03:43 AM      Profile for Christopher Crouch   Email Christopher Crouch       Edit/Delete Post 
Sub run Theatres are dying
I've noticed just the opposite. I currently work for a nation wide chain, that is predominantly discount oriented, and they've been growing at a surprisingly brisk pace. Also, I've been seeing quite a few new discount operations spring up over the past few years. With ticket prices being as high as they are, I think a lot of people (especially families) are gravitating towards sub-run theatres. If anything, I believe this niche is growing in many markets.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 05-31-2006 04:51 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with the discounts as well...with tix/concession prices as they are for the mainstream first-runs, some discounts DO offer major incentives for the customer with tix and concession discounts if the two are purchased together. And these businesses do bank in the cash when the big movies finally hit these unique venues for the public are actually waiting for these big movies to hit the cheap screens-before they are reduced to home viewing.

Plus, it's amazing that a movie which dies in a first run, will do massive business in a discount for the simple reason that that movie isn't worth the money being spent in a first run, but the loss of a couple of dollars is worth it in a discount.

Also, the ones who do come to discounts are families that doesn't have the hundred to blow in a first-run house, yet see the savings going to a discount movie. Also, in a plain sense, the people who just don't have the money to spend at a classy theatre, can still see a movie that won't rape their thin pocketbooks..

But the trick with this in making the dough is with the employment overhead is low due to "mom and pop", or "father and son" are running the business as a pure family based operation.

But, the real winner is where there is only one discount in an area that has no competition in its respective discount market in any surrounding area with it being in a middle of a hub of outstanding and wealthy business district. In other words, a major "crowd magnet" is created and will always run in the black.

..for I work in one.

-Monte

Dan Chilton
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-09-2006 10:50 PM      Profile for Dan Chilton   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Chilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I run a single screen arthouse with only... brace yourself... 75 seats. My wife and I run it 7 nights a week, which was part of the sacrifice of doing what we love. We make enough to have part-timers on the weekend, rent a nice loft above the theater, pay all of our bills, and put away money into our savings. Our primary fare is arthouse movies, but we still bring in an occasional rep piece from time to time. The rep films, due to limited showings and high guarantees, rarely make us money, although they almost always sell out.

We're saving our money to open a second location, which may or may not be a drive-in! How crazy are we?!

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 06-10-2006 02:20 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
We're saving our money to open a second location, which may or may not be a drive-in! How crazy are we?!
Certifiable. However, if you do open a drive-in, and find the culture suits you, you'll wonder why it took you so long to get there.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 06-10-2006 08:30 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Repertory Theatres are dead

Ahh, but what a run we had!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: