Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Cleaning Between Sessions (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Cleaning Between Sessions
Ian Bailey
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-21-2006 11:59 PM      Profile for Ian Bailey   Email Ian Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What is the best way tom clean an auditorium between sessions to remove pop-corn and rubbish off the floor.
Has anyone found a good reliable carpet sweeper that works?
Cheers
Ian

|  IP: Logged

Ron Curran
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-22-2006 12:35 AM      Profile for Ron Curran   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Curran   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck Ian. The best carpet sweeper is a 3M but it is only useful for small clean-ups in the foyer. All of them get clogged quickly and an accidental bump will spill the contents and cause you to say "Oh dash."

We installed ducted vacuums for the auditorium. Back pack vacs are the next best but the power lead can get caught between seats. We also have a battery vac for the adult sessions and quick foyer jobs. Volta made a good one. A brush is handy for seats.

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-22-2006 01:28 AM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Auditorium cleaning:

Send in ushers with garbage cans, pick up all 'big stuff' (cups, bags, candy boxes, nacho trays, etc). Then sweep corn and other debris from carpeted aisles into concrete/linoleum seating area. Use large push brooms to sweep all debris to end of rows, then use dustpans and smaller brooms to clean up piles. Mop an spills (probably before sweeping actually....).

As far as carpet sweepers, I'm not sure if its the brand name or the manufacturer but the ones we use say 'Hokey' on them and they work well enough.

Phil Blake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-22-2006 04:20 AM      Profile for Phil Blake   Author's Homepage   Email Phil Blake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our way is grab a 80litre bin bag and dash down the rows collecting empty containers, mobile phones, hats, jackets, toy boats and all other large stuff while folding up seat arms.

We then go back down the rows and clean the popcorn up with a floor sweeper (pictured) a sabco,they sell for about $30 not the best around but if you get a good one they are quite effective.

If we have a bit of time with clean up popcorn from around seat legs with a dust buster , if we are very short on time , we push spilt popcorn under the seats until we get a session change with more time to do a better clean.

-

Ian Bailey
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-22-2006 10:54 AM      Profile for Ian Bailey   Email Ian Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well sounds like I'm not doing it too differently than anyone else.
We also run around and pick up the big stuff and clean down the seats and then clean up the pop corn with carpet sweepers.
Ron I think your ducted system is the answer.I'm sure I could have bought a good system with the cash I've spent on carpet sweepers.
I have been trying those tilting pans and brooms with some success,they work good with stadium seating you just drag it along the floor and it scoops up the rubbish.
I've always thought a good battery powered back pack vac would be the answer but I haven't found one yet.
Ian

Michael Gonzalez
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-22-2006 02:43 PM      Profile for Michael Gonzalez   Email Michael Gonzalez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The push broom method if it is a relatively average crowd. However, if we are talking a kidshow with a trashed theater, than we send in the ushers with the rolling trashcans to pick up the big stuff, then grab the cordless broom (basically a battery powered leafblower) blow everything down to the front two rows, and then sweep up the piles.

Ron Keillor
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-22-2006 03:08 PM      Profile for Ron Keillor   Email Ron Keillor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Blowing dust towards the screen? You have a good curtain or clean the screen frequently?

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-22-2006 03:14 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Rubbermaid Lobby Pro Upright Dustpan. Nothing simpler, honestly nothing better for the size/price [thumbsup]

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-22-2006 06:44 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Michael Gonzalez
The push broom method if it is a relatively average crowd. However, if we are talking a kidshow with a trashed theater, than we send in the ushers with the rolling trashcans to pick up the big stuff, then grab the cordless broom (basically a battery powered leafblower) blow everything down to the front two rows, and then sweep up the piles.
In all my years in business - using a leaf blower in the auditoriums is the absolute stupidest idea ever. Not only will it ruin the screens - it blows dust and dirt into the drapes on the walls, up onto the ceiling, into cracks and crevices you did not know even existed.

Trust me - here at our theatre we just replaced two screens. The main reason we had to: the janitor was using a leaf blower.

My rule has always been - if I find a leaf blower in the building - I throw it off the roof and into the dumpster.

Ian Bailey
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-22-2006 08:16 PM      Profile for Ian Bailey   Email Ian Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree Dennis-the blower works well but comes with too many other problems.
Steve-the lobby dustpan definately is the cheapest and most reliable option.
Cheers
Ian

David Favel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-23-2006 02:47 AM      Profile for David Favel   Email David Favel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to use a leaf sucker, but now use a haaga top sweep. 1 pass on each row & you are pretty much done. Check it out

Christopher Crouch
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-23-2006 04:43 AM      Profile for Christopher Crouch   Email Christopher Crouch       Edit/Delete Post 
The problem I've run in to with vacuums, floor sweapers, etc. is that they always end up being broken rather quickly. The last mega plex I worked at opened with a full array of gadgets that promised to cut theatre cleaning times in half. Within a month, all that equipment was rendered useless. Seems teenage ushers and anything beyond a broom just don't mix (considering the number of brooms I go through in a year, I can't say the low tech approach is any better, just cheaper).

As for blowers, in addition to dirty screens, I've encountered problems with ushers trying to cut corners through blowing debris under the screen. Nothing quite like spending a maintenance shift cleaning out piles of garbage that have accumulated under the screen.

Ron Curran
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-23-2006 04:55 AM      Profile for Ron Curran   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Curran   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Quote David Favel:
I used to use a leaf sucker, but now use a haaga top sweep. 1 pass on each row & you are pretty much done. Check it out

I just did a Google search on the Haaga and it looks great. Is the entry model the best? What price range (roughly).

I forgot about the mess on and under the seats - the vacuums will still be needed.

[ 06-23-2006, 06:21 AM: Message edited by: Ron Curran ]

Michael Gonzalez
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-23-2006 11:35 AM      Profile for Michael Gonzalez   Email Michael Gonzalez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Ron Keillor
You have a good curtain or clean the screen frequently?

Yes screens get cleaned frequently also as stated, we only blow to the first couple of rows not all the way to the front of the screen.

Dan Zastrow
Film Handler

- posted 06-23-2006 01:52 PM      Profile for Dan Zastrow   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Zastrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dennis-I agree with your absolute hatred of using leaf blowers in theaters but here is one level worse. Consulted with a theater once that always smelled like car exhaust. Turns out the janitors were using a gas-powered blower [Eek!]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: