Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Do you charge your customers a service charge if they pay with a credit card? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Do you charge your customers a service charge if they pay with a credit card?
Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 11-26-2006 12:06 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Carmike theater in Dover, Delaware does. At least at the box office. We didn't try the concession stand to see if they do too. I've never heard of a theater doing that. Do all Carmikes do that? Does anyone else do that? That irritated the crap out of us, and I'm sure we're not the only customers of theirs that felt that way.

|  IP: Logged

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-26-2006 12:11 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's a lot of small change floating around...

We don't charge any extra for a card. Carmike never had 0.25 increments behind their stand, either. That's inconvenient on its own [Mad]

Chad M Calpito
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-26-2006 12:12 PM      Profile for Chad M Calpito   Author's Homepage   Email Chad M Calpito   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fortunately, we don't charge a service charge for credit card use at any of our Pacific Theatres location. Thank goodness we don't deal with that kind of headache. [Big Grin]

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 11-26-2006 12:38 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Their service charge wasn't an even amount either: 99¢ [Mad]

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-26-2006 01:20 PM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's crap. In many states you are not allowed to charge extra for the credit card. I believe your merchant agreement disallows this as well. This was how the CC companies got rid of the cash/credit prices at the gas stations. Companies that charge extra for this are not very customer-friendly.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 11-26-2006 01:25 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Conversely, why should a theatre have to pay the CC company for the use of its card? The theatre would be just as happy to take CASH. People pay service charges everywhere if they want the luxuary of services...why not credit cards?

BTW...the way around the CC fee is to install an ATM and let IT do the service charge (and the theatre can then share in the profit).

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-26-2006 02:29 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're not supposed to be able to charge a fee, but you can allow a 'cash discount.'

Supposedly all the card makers have the same policy and these surcharges are 'strictly prohibited.'

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 11-26-2006 02:48 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Guttag
why should a theatre have to pay the CC company for the use of its card?
Because it's the cost of doing business. It makes things easier and cleaner for everyone. The employees are handling less money so there are fewer chances of mistakes, there's less money to count and ship off to the bank at the end of the night, etc.. It's not just a luxury for the customers. And there is no way that they are paying 99¢ per credit card transaction with the credit card companies. I think this is just a slick way for them to grab more cash at the box office.

quote: Mike Blakesley
Supposedly all the card makers have the same policy and these surcharges are 'strictly prohibited.'
Hmm. Maybe I should call Visa and complain...

Steve Guttag

- posted 11-26-2006 03:02 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The rules vary by CC company. American Express has a "most favored nation" clause that if you don't charge for other CC, then you can't charge for them.

I believe Visa and Mastercard have a "strictly prohibited" clause.

Personally, I don't think credit card acceptence should be an entitlement. The CC companies charge their 3-5% and it is mostly the customer that benefits from the charge. But lets say that a family of four buys their tickets....the cost can easily get up to $35, depending on location and times....3% of that exceeds $1.00. Also, depending on the film and what week it is in, location, the take on the box may only be 10% of the profit.

There just isn't that much left over to dole out.

There are certainly ups and downs on the labor side to it in both time and mishandling of either system.

Why does everything in our lives cost something for every little bit of service but Credit Cards are exempt? I swear, every time I look at my bills and see all the little fees, charges and other made up stuff...it drives me nuts...just how did the line get drawn on credit cards?

Personally, I'd much rather see toll roads banned than credit card fees.

Steve

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 11-26-2006 06:43 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve; you have joined me as an "angry (young) man." Louis

Ky Boyd
Hey I'm #23

- posted 11-26-2006 06:45 PM      Profile for Ky Boyd   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If a theatre is charging a credit card transaction fee, then they should be reporting that fee as part of the film grosses.

From the Sony Pictures Releasing MLA (Master License Agreement): Sec. IV Part C: "For purposes of calculating Film Rental, "Gross Receipts" means all monies, exclusive only of admission taxes collected as required by law, received or determined to have been received by Exhibitor for admission to Theater for the performance of the Film or when the Film should have been played, regardless of when paid."

Fox, Paramount, Universal, Warners, etc. all have similar language in their contracts as well.

Interestingly, NATO is joining a consortium of retailers in the Merchants Payments Coalition to mount a governmental challenge to the interchange fees, which are a portion of the fees. There is an article about it in the Oct. 2006 issue of In Focus.

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 11-26-2006 06:49 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cash is the only payment we accept, there are very few complaints.

Steve Guttag

- posted 11-26-2006 07:00 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ky,

It would be a legal issue since the fee charged is not for the showing of the film but to provide a service (accept the credit card)...The studio is no more entitled than they are willing to be partners in determining the gross minus the fee charged by the CC company. That is, for the $10.00 ticket, the studio is factoring on the whole $10.00, not $10.00 minus the CC fee of .30 for a 3% CC fee or $9.70. Either they are basing it on the money for the show or they aren't.

The ATM in the lobby can solve both issues and it clarifies the situation. The theatre can collect a service charge on the ATM for those that don't choose to carry the legal tender of the land, the customer can pay the full ticket price, the studio gets its money...the theatre gets the few cents left over after the studio takes its cut.

Either way, a service fee would not be for the license to see the film but for the exchange of monies from plastic to paper.

Jarryd Beard
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-26-2006 07:11 PM      Profile for Jarryd Beard   Email Jarryd Beard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark,

Are you sure they ran it through as a credit card? Most Carmikes do not yet accept credit cards; they only use debit. The .99 fee sounds like a debit transaction. If you go to the webpage for the Dover Carmike, only debit cards are listed as a form of electronic payment. I know the manager at the Carmike 16 in Allentown, PA. His theater is in the same district as the Dover theater and they don't accept credit. He's been told it's coming soon, however. One of the few Carmikes that does accept credit cards is in Greensburg, PA. At their webpage, it says there's a .99 fee for debit transactions, but NO fee for credit transactions. When you paid, did you type your PIN? I have a suspicion that the theater didn't accept credit cards at all and simply processed the transaction as debit.

I believe it was either the September or October issue of "In Focus" magazine that had an interesting article on credit cards and the movie industry. It explained a lot about the fees businesses have to pay with credit transactions.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 11-26-2006 07:29 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm... that's interesting Jarryd. I didn't end up paying with my card, so I'm not sure, but what you're saying sounds like it might be a possibility. I'm hardly ever at that theater (or that mall) but the next time I'm down there I will check. I probably won't pay to watch a movie there again though given the horrible presentation they put on.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: