Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » DIY sound absorption panels

Author Topic: DIY sound absorption panels
Dan Chilton
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-03-2008 04:34 PM      Profile for Dan Chilton   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Chilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone had experience building their own sound panels to cut the echo in an all concrete screening room? What type of material will deliver the best results for the least amount of money? I've heard good defenses for covered rockwool insulation slabs, as well as canvas covered MDF board. Any other suggestions?

|  IP: Logged

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 03-03-2008 04:48 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The canvas covering or burlap works well. So does short pile carpeting glued to the wall about half way up. Then trim with scattered canvas panels. Leave some exposed concrete wall sections on the sides, of course, as you don't want it totally dead.

Cameron Glendinning
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-03-2008 04:59 PM      Profile for Cameron Glendinning   Email Cameron Glendinning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well the first question is are the speakers installed properly? The Horn loaded design of the typical cinema speaker if installed and angled properly, can in many situations, stop the refections off the walls before they even start.

Personally I have used black tissue faced fiberglass duct liner aprox 3.2 kilos per square metre, hung a few inches off the wall. (ie air gap behind is good). As most cinemas have the most audio reflection problems backstage, I tend to put the fiberglass there, not in the auditorium.

To break up sound and early reflections all that is needed is random 3d patterns and angles. Speakers aimed at flat surfaces tend to cause the bounce problems.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 03-03-2008 06:18 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Made out own covering in London, Ky using "duct liner" (see above) 100% coverage above 40". Louis

Blake Zaugg
Film Handler

- posted 04-04-2008 12:14 AM      Profile for Blake Zaugg   Email Blake Zaugg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We did this at a theatre I was at previously.

The frame was 2x4's and then just regular insulation inside, covered with fabric.

Was surprising the difference it made.

Fabric had to be special non-flamable type.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: