Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Just saw Tron Legacy trailer. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Just saw Tron Legacy trailer.
Ian Parfrey
Phenomenal Film Handler

From: Imbil Australia 26 deg 27' 42.66" S 152 deg 42' 23.40" E

- posted 10-31-2009 07:06 PM      Profile for Ian Parfrey   Email Ian Parfrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Avatar? We dont need no stinking Avatar. Not when this thing hits the screens in 2010. IMHO, this is going to blow Avatar into the weeds. It captures the "world" of the essence of the first film very well in addition to updating and modernising the concept without detracting from the feel of the original. And for all the dimension junkies out there, its got depth as well. THIS is one I'll be spending $$$ to go and see.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1IpPpB3iWI

|  IP: Logged

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 10-31-2009 08:08 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wasn't the first one a flop? Why is this so highly anticipated?

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 10-31-2009 08:48 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
True, the 1982 release was way ahead of its time-people didn't know how to accept it back then.

Even though it was a major breakthrough for Disney to shoot out a computer generated film, it simply didn't have the "grab" back then with a storyline that was still geared to their "Hayley Mills/Kurt Russell" form of writing (can we throw "the Black Hole" into this pot?), it was doomed for failure from the get-go. (even though I really enjoyed it..esp. seeing it in 70mm that fall of 1982)

Now, being 28 odd years later and the CGA development has drastically improved along with this new generation liking all of this 'eye candy', along with heavier screenplays, et.al., it just might be the winning ticket from "the House of Mouse" next year.

Ian Parfrey
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-31-2009 08:55 PM      Profile for Ian Parfrey   Email Ian Parfrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike.

Good question. I think it's one of those films that are either loved or ignored. I personally loved the first one. I saw it in 70mm and was truly blown away by both the visuals and the concept of the whole thing. I guess the same could be said of Brainstorm too, both films effectively stiffed at the B.O. , yet both films pushed the technical boundaries of modern filmmaking.

Me personally, Id rather see Tron Legacy instead of a bunch of weird looking blue elfs yabbering on about yet more environmental "lessons"

Give me Light Bikes anyday.

Ten Aussie pesos says it out grosses Avatar. [thumbsup]

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 10-31-2009 11:00 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brainstorm! [thumbsup] Great movie. I loved the way it made use of multiple aspect ratios which the average moviegoer probably wouldn't notice.

Anslem Rayburn
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-31-2009 11:39 PM      Profile for Anslem Rayburn   Email Anslem Rayburn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not feeling it. I think this has major flop written all over it. The trailer was pretty boring, and the effects aren't really that impressive to me.

I'm not a fan of the original, and this did nothing to make me feel any different about this one. I hope I'm wrong, and I hope TRON fans are pleased with this one.

Jonathan Althaus
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-01-2009 12:36 AM      Profile for Jonathan Althaus   Email Jonathan Althaus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not that impressed, but then again, its youtube. I'll wait until I see (and hear) it on the big screen to make any real judgements. But as for the Avatar vs Tron question, Avatar has more proven talent. Cameron's a perfectionist and a master director. He won't have it released until its perfect. I don't think we've seen anything near what the finished product will be.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 11-01-2009 03:20 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
Brainstorm! Great movie
(It was, but sad that Natalie Wood had to die during the making causing a very incomplete ending ...)

It alse more looks like "TRON Legacy" will be more darker, sinister and more dramatic than the original release since this deals with a family matter with Flynn's son in trouble.

-Monte

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 11-01-2009 05:28 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I also saw TRON during it's first rum many years ago in 70mm at the Royal in Waikiki at the final showing before the theatre closed and the building demolished to make way for a restaurant. The visuals were stunning and I was very impressed but I was totally bored with the movie and was thinking about walking out but did not. The first movie in my opinion was not entertaining at all and if the new movie is like the first, it might fail. Unlike many of of you, I am rooting for AVATAR to succeed and so far, James Cameron has a great track record producong successful films.

-Claude

David E. Nedrow
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-02-2009 11:48 AM      Profile for David E. Nedrow   Author's Homepage   Email David E. Nedrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm, YouTube fail!

Was this an actual trailer, or the effects test real that showed up at Comic-Con?

Ian Parfrey
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-02-2009 06:22 PM      Profile for Ian Parfrey   Email Ian Parfrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm guessing this is the Comic-Con 2009 footage from what I can find out. Still, it's the closest thing to a trailer we have.

Seems like a good compromise between a concept test reel and promotional material.

More info here---> http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi332136985/

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 11-02-2009 07:48 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I liked the look of the original more than this new one. The sequel is all glassy and polished, but it doesn't have the graphical pop of the 1982 film. Plus, the sequel is stuck in the unfortunately position of merely having to build on the previous movie instead of coming up with anything original on its own.

Julio Roberto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-03-2009 03:15 PM      Profile for Julio Roberto     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know.

The new teaser doesn't look all that good.

Tron Reboot on Youtube

[Razz] [Razz] [Razz] [Big Grin] [Wink]

I liked the old movie, considering I made a living as an assembly programmer back then it matched my geekiness perfectly, but I admit that to most people the whole thing should've spelled more "hu?" than "wow!"

To most non-tech-geeky guys, watching "little blue people" fighting videogames inside a computer is just not that fun.

But because it has been such a long time since the first movie, a whole new generation of geeks may come to appreciate this one, but I wouldn't keep my hopes too high for this being a blockbuster or anything. After all, videogames are no longer what they were in the 80's (you know, "new" and geeky).

Charles Greenlee
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-03-2009 06:07 PM      Profile for Charles Greenlee   Author's Homepage   Email Charles Greenlee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I liked the original Tron. I'm interested in seeing how they bring that concept forward. Even with better effects, the concept is a bit dated. Living in a virtual computer world? Matrix did that. Hell, they even had a Master Control Program, err Architect. It had friendly programs, and sentry agents, hell, even a virus.

I don't feel its the same thing, nor am I saying the Matrix is all that. I'm just worried that Tron will have a hard time competing on that level with today's viewers.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 11-03-2009 11:17 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually The Matrix is the one redoing stuff already done by Tron way back in the early 1980s.

Tron was a very important breakthrough movie in 1982. Not only did it touch on topics movies like The Matrix would explore nearly 20 years later, Tron even showed off a concept of the Internet a decade before the Internet became accessible to the general public.

Bladerunner constantly gets all the glory for being the most influential science fiction movie of 1982, but anyone that really looks at the topic objectively can clearly see Tron was the far more prophetic movie, easily a movie made before its time and sadly very under-appreciated.

I like The Matrix and even bought copies of it on both DVD and Blu-ray. However, I will not refer to it as the greatest science fiction movie ever made (as some people do). Hell, Dark City explored some of the same subject matter only a year prior to the release of The Matrix.

Some really great artists, such as Syd Mead, worked on the original Tron. I can't really tell what Tron Legacy going for it, other than a more slick, glassy finish and more loose, flexible rules for how the light cycles work.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: