Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Disney Says ‘Rise Of Skywalker’ May Pose Seizure Risk (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Disney Says ‘Rise Of Skywalker’ May Pose Seizure Risk
Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 12-08-2019 11:30 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
‘Star Wars’ Epilepsy Hazard?

quote:
The Walt Disney Co. is asking exhibitors worldwide to warn moviegoers that Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker may pose a seizure risk to audience members with photosensitive epilepsy. The Disney/Lucasfilm fantasy film opens Dec. 20.

In an unusual move, Disney has sent a letter to theater owners and operators worldwide with a recommendation that special steps should be taken to alert moviegoers about the visual effects and flashing lights in the J.J. Abrams-directed interstellar adventure.

“Out of an abundance of caution,” the letter opens, “we recommend that you provide at your venue box office and online, and at other appropriate places where your customers will see it, a notice containing the following information: Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker contains several sequences with imagery and sustained flashing lights that may affect those who are susceptible to photosensitive epilepsy or have other photosensitivities.”

The Burbank-based Disney is also working with the Epilepsy Foundation, which issued an advisory of its own and commended the studio for taking the initiative on the audience safety issue. About 3.4 million Americans have epilepsy and about three percent have photosensitivity issues that puts them at risk of seizures triggered by flashing lights or other visual patterns.

“We thank Disney for reaching out to us and proactively providing information to movie theatres and moviegoers in advance of the movie’s release,” the Epilepsy Foundation advisory stated. “If you or someone you know are sensitive to lights, please consider the following as you make plans to watch the movie: Ask a friend to watch the movie first. Take your friend with you when you go see the film to alert you to which scenes contain the flashing lights so you block your eyes during those scenes. Teach your friend the three simple steps of seizure first aid — Stay, Safe, Side — so that they can assist if you have a seizure.”
Epilepsy Foundation logoEpilepsy Foundation logo

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker is directed by Abrams and produced by Kathleen Kennedy, Abrams and Michelle Rejwan. Callum Greene, Tommy Gormley and Jason McGatlin serve as executive producers. The screenplay was written by Chris Terrio & J.J. Abrams and the story is by Derek Connolly & Colin Trevorrow and Abrams & Chris Terrio, based on characters created by George Lucas.

The film stars the late Carrie Fisher, Mark Hamill, Adam Driver, Daisy Ridley, John Boyega, Oscar Isaac, Anthony Daniels, Naomi Ackie, Domhnall Gleeson, Richard E. Grant, Lupita Nyong’o, Keri Russell, Joonas Suotamo, Kelly Marie Tran, with Ian McDiarmid and Billy Dee Williams.

Today, Abrams and three cast members — Ridley, Boyega, and Isaac — previewed the film at CCXP in Sao Paulo.

This isn't the first time.

After having gone down this road at least twice before that I can recall (one of the Twilight movies and one other whose title I don't remember at the moment) wouldn't you think those guys might have learned something and not included these problematic flashing light scenes in their movies? Surely they can have a special effect that isn't going to be a health hazard to people in the audience.

|  IP: Logged

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 12-08-2019 11:43 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe this will answer it...

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/12/08/disney-nears-10-billion-global-box-office-record.html

Disney nears $10 billion global box office record and ‘Rise of Skywalker’ isn’t even out yet.

Published Sun, Dec 8 20194:08 PM EST

quote:
Key Points

• Disney’s has garnered nearly $10 billion at the global box office so far this year.

• The company currently has five films that have hauled in more than $1 billion worldwide.

• “Frozen II” is expected to cross the $1 billion benchmark this week.

It's all in the spirit of "No Publicity is Bad Publicity."

A very thinly disguised attempt to boost their box office receipts so they can set an all-time record by the end of the year.

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-09-2019 01:20 AM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
we just had an apparent seizure during muppet christmas carol. there was quite the commotion and i had to stop the movie until paramedics got the fella out. i don't think it was related to what was on screen (dcp did seem on the contrasty side at the start though), but fwiw it was about 15 minutes in. hope he's ok!

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 12-09-2019 03:03 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I was watching a movie as a civilian when a woman in the theater had a seizure or a stroke of some kind.

I was the one who had to go out to the lobby and find the manager to have him call the paramedics.

I wasn't trying to play down the seriousness of strokes and seizures. I was just commenting on the timing of Disney releasing this statement.

It's funny how there were reports of photosensitive epileptic seizures during "Incredibles 2" but they weren't given much attention last year.

I just find it interesting how this issue gets so much press, right at the end of the year, right at the beginning of one of the biggest box office weeks of the season, two weeks before one of the most anticipated movies is to be released.

Sounds fishy to me.

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-09-2019 03:10 AM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
IT 2 had a similar alert. We had it up at the box office and a generic trailer in front of the feature.

Mark Ogden
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-09-2019 02:18 PM      Profile for Mark Ogden   Email Mark Ogden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Randy Stankey
It's all in the spirit of "No Publicity is Bad Publicity."
I HARDLY think that is the reason. This is a cover-your-ass move, because photosensitive epilepsy is a very real, potentially serious, and probably ligitable thing.

If anybody here is following Watchmen on HBO, then you know that they put up the same warning before an episode a couple of weeks ago. I am not photosensitive at all, but I found the scene difficult to watch anyway, and had to look away.

Jarod Reddig
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-09-2019 02:38 PM      Profile for Jarod Reddig   Email Jarod Reddig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use to live with a person with epilepsy and ANY movie, wether on tv or in a theater, could cause a seizure. Especially in a dark room with a bright picture, AKA a commercial theater, enhances the strobe effect. Even just going from a dark to bright scene and back. It is definitely a cover their butts move.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 12-09-2019 03:41 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if Rise of Skywalker will have different elements from previous movies, but all of the Star Wars movies have had light flashes of one type of another. Whether it's light saber battles or things blowing up. I think this is more of a CYA than anything else.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 12-09-2019 06:13 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Next up: Stickers on the disc stating:

Warning: Content may hurt people's feelings...

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 12-10-2019 01:01 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While I try not to be too cynical (and I admit, it's VERY difficult especially when it comes to the Rodent House), I'll give them that it is a good thing for folks with that kind of issue to be forewarned, but as Mark and Justin point out, it certainly is also and I'll say primarily a legal Cover Your Ass move for them. Thing is, you have to assume that people who do have this condition are probably well aware that many, MANY movies have visual elements that can be a trigger. Any quick, repetitive changes from very bright to very dark will do it, and that can occur in almost any action movie, so I don't think there is any particular warning that needs to be pointed out to photosensitive people about this particular movie. Anybody know if Disney put this warning in their trailers and 1-sheets?

And not for nuthin, Randy does have a point about publicity (any is always good -- except if you're Harvey Weinstein) although the need for extra, sneaky sort of publicity for this title seems unnecessary given that Disney is making sure that every person on the planet will have heard about it before the first frame ever hits the screen.

Kenneth Wuepper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-10-2019 02:58 PM      Profile for Kenneth Wuepper   Email Kenneth Wuepper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All of our live children's shows that incorporate flashing light have an audio announcement before the show and sometimes announce the strobe lights will be in the next section of the performance.

This is a very good technique as some teachers have removed sensitive students from the audience before the flashing light segment begins.

KEN

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 12-10-2019 05:24 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen a former colleague collapsing as a result of a seizure once. It wasn't a pretty sight and it just happened, in broad daylight, with no obvious reason for the trigger. He just fell to the ground, his body was making all kinds of spastic movements and he was totally unresponsive to any external input for the entire duration. Not much more you can do than to call the ambulance and closely monitor the situation.

Case in point: It can happen anywhere at any time and most cases of epilepsy don't seem to be of the photosensitive kind.

So, those warnings are mostly moot. Like stated before, they're either simple ass-coverage or a cry for attention... or both.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 12-10-2019 07:44 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Marcel Birgelen
I've seen a former colleague collapsing as a result of a seizure once. It wasn't a pretty sight and it just happened, in broad daylight, with no obvious reason for the trigger. He just fell to the ground, his body was making all kinds of spastic movements and he was totally unresponsive to any external input for the entire duration. Not much more you can do
My sister had an epileptic seizure when she was 12. It was exactly as you described, except she was in bed at the time luckily. It scared the crap out of all of us. I remember her eyes were spread wide open like I've never seen, but she didn't seem to know what was happening.

From what we were told back then, the only thing you can do beyond holding the person's arms and legs, is maybe try to put some soft object into their mouth so they don't bite down on their tongue accidentally (make sure it's something that can't be swallowed). Then call medical help.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 12-11-2019 02:14 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The woman in the theater who I helped never had a seizure before, either. She didn't want to go in the ambulance. Her husband and I had to kinda' team up and get in her face about it. It could have been nothing but it also could have been a TIA. (Transient Ischemic Attack. AKA: "Mini Stroke") If it was, it could have been a precursor to a major stroke or grand mal. If anything like that happened, she might not wake up again.

I have also seen two instances of photosensitive seizures in a theater while I was working. One was a teenager playing video games in the arcade. The other was somebody leaving a movie who was with friends/family. Both of those people knew that they were susceptible. Both of them knew the risk. The kid in the arcade fell down and split his head open so we called the ambulance. The other just sat in the lobby until he felt better.

I'm not any kind of expert on these things but I know from experience that these sorts of things aren't to be taken lightly.

I don't take them lightly.

Yes, I am sure that Disney is putting out this warning with "an abundance of caution." I'm glad they did. As I say, this is an important matter, not to be taken lightly.

All I was saying is that, in the face of Disney's record breaking year, I have no doubt in my mind that they are also looking at this from the publicity angle.

Given other movies that were known to trigger seizures and the lack of publicity that many of them have seen, it just seems a little fishy to me. Especially coming from Disney.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 12-11-2019 10:34 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have the feeling anyone getting their panties in a twist over these photosensitive warnings (perhaps offended for what they see as yet another act of runaway political correctness) has probably never seen anyone have a serious seizure in real life. That stuff will scare the living hell out of just about anyone.

One my classmates way back in middle school had a grand mal seizure during gym class. We were playing volleyball. This kid was kind of a class clown, and was joking around earlier. In the middle of the game he just started standing there like a statue looking straight ahead while the others were moving around trying to get to the ball. It seemed like a joke until one of the other students touched him on the shoulder. The kid let out this loud groan and fell backwards, hitting the wood floor. And then he went to town convulsing like crazy. The coach and a couple other students tried holding him to keep his head from smacking the floor. After maybe 30 seconds that seemed to go on forever the seizure stopped and the kid was out cold. Everyone was upset. Most of the girls were crying. The kid made a full recovery, but we all felt sorry he had to go through some terrible shit like that.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: