Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Grits (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Grits
John Wilson
Film God

- posted 09-02-2000 01:16 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, since it says topics dont have to be about movies or film...I have a question.

Just what is grits? I mean, I ordered some about 7 years ago at a roadside diner in Texas and got this grey...well...slop on the plate. Did I just get a bad cook (!) or is that what it's supposed to look like. I must also add that I took one mouthful and that was it for me.

Not wanting to offend anyone of course...if you came here and tasted our fabled Vegemite I'm sure you may have the same reaction.

Anyone care to enlighten me?

|  IP: Logged

Mark Huff
Film Handler

- posted 09-02-2000 02:06 AM      Profile for Mark Huff   Email Mark Huff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well with my Grandmother being raised in Coffeeville, Mississippi I figured she would know. She has told me that grits are actually white sometimes opaque or yellow. The substance is quite runny but to a degree of thickness. Some people add butter or sugar to them after cooking. Often it is served at breakfast times.

To answer you question what are grits.

Corn! Ground up corn!

Dwayne Caldwell
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-02-2000 02:36 AM      Profile for Dwayne Caldwell   Email Dwayne Caldwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why am I thinking of My Cousin Vinny all of the sudden?

I had some grits for the first time about five months ago. Blah! I think I'll stick to having my corn on a cob.

------------------
The man with the magic hands.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-02-2000 05:10 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
"Were they instant grits?"

"No self respecting Southerner would use instant grits."

"So how come it takes you 5 minutes to make grits when it takes the rest of the entire grit-eating population 15 minutes? Were these magic grits? Maybe the laws of physics cease to exist on your stove!"

What a great movie. Check it out and you'll learn everything you ever wanted to know about grits.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 09-02-2000 10:02 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm just an ol' country boy from the hills of Kentucky (okay, Lexington - but it's Kentucky anyway). I love grits... an' gravy 'n' biscuits... an' country ham... an' dumplins... an' sausage 'n' bacon... That's good country eatin'!

Grits with a good amount of butter are great. They were John Wayne's favorite, too. Remember "True Grits"? And grits can sure be messed up if'n ya don't fix 'em right; they can't be runny, nope, and not too thick that they clod together on your fork. An' I never heard o' grey grits - I prolly wouldn't eat 'em either!

You ever get back here, stop in at a "Cracker Barrel" restaurant. As far as national chains go, that's the closest to country eatin' you can get. Denny's, Shoney's, or interstate truck stops ain't even CLOSE!

------------------
Better Projection Pays!

Chad Souder
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-02-2000 12:39 PM      Profile for Chad Souder   Email Chad Souder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Grits are the one food (maybe tofu too, I don't know) that you can add absolutely anything to and it doesn't change the flavor. Salt, butter, brown sugar, pepper, honey, you name it, no change. Grits are proof that God has a sense of humor.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 09-03-2000 12:36 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
>>What a great movie. Check it out and you'll learn everything you ever wanted to know about grits.<<

OK...I will. Um...what's the movie?

Wade Brashers
Film Handler

- posted 09-03-2000 01:46 AM      Profile for Wade Brashers   Email Wade Brashers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, thats all very interesting but none of you have yet to explain WHAT THE HELL GRITS ARE??

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-03-2000 05:06 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
How about rice cakes? What's the point of that?

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 09-03-2000 06:11 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wade

Mark says they are >>Corn! Ground up corn!<< ...and in my case...served with a succulent grey (ulp) sauce. (cue Homer voice: ) MMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...grey sauce!

What's the name of the movie you're talking about Brad?

Rice cakes...nope...you've got me on that one too. Although, I'm sure they're VERY healthy. They must be...they have no taste.

Dave Bird
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-03-2000 07:46 AM      Profile for Dave Bird   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Bird   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I love corn. (So what did they do to grits? Grind up the stalks and all?) I've had grits a number of times (dad used to make us eat them when we were south), I always thought that with grits, it was all in the condiment.

As for VEGEMITE, that's the worst stuff I've ever had! We had an Aussie come over in high school and she would have it shipped over for the 6 months she was here. We used to have contests to see who could eat the most Vegemite sandwich! (Most of us Canadian boys really took a fancy to her, guess we thought if we ate it.......I actually put my ass THROUGH the white-wall on the stage of our 1000 seat auditorium trying to impress this girl with a headstand, boy was my drama teacher PISSED!)We used to sell a knock-off I think called Marmite. Awful stuff, "Bitter Salt Paste" is what I'd have called it.

But you know, I can recall a time when I was just starting to drink beer, and didn't particularly like the taste of that either!

------------------
Dave Bird

Dwayne Caldwell
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-03-2000 08:48 AM      Profile for Dwayne Caldwell   Email Dwayne Caldwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess I'll have to give grits another shot, Tim. I had mine at a Lenny's-- I mean Denny's.

As for the film Brad is talking about, it's from none other than My Cousin Vinny. A truly great film.

------------------
The man with the magic hands.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 09-03-2000 02:32 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dave...

Vegemite is an acquired taste...

I love to watch the non-initiated take their first mouthful of vegemite ever...good to have the camera ready for the reaction.

http://www.vegemite.com.au

Must check out Vinny again then...ran it for a two week season but didn't watch it as I couldn't get over Marissa's voice...she was the one who 'won' the Oscar thanks to Jack Palance's push ups, right?

Gracia L. Babbidge
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-04-2000 02:01 AM      Profile for Gracia L. Babbidge   Author's Homepage   Email Gracia L. Babbidge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rice cakes...?
....So maybe that's what those "coasters" actually are?

hehe

~GLB

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 09-04-2000 11:03 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Grits is made frum de liddle hard piece left in the base of the kernel when the rest is removed. Ain't too bad when U fixes 'em right.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: