Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Southern Food (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Southern Food
Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 09-10-2000 09:26 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All this food talk is making me hungry! If there's one thing projectionists like, besides movies, it's FOOD! (and BEER!)

Just moved down South and I'm beginning to discover the wonders of Southern cookin'. There's some mighty good food down here!

All my friends from up North who've been down here tell me things like, "You gotta' try so-and-so"... Here's what I've had...

Sonny's Ribs
Krispy Kreme donuts
Sonic's "Chilli Pie"
Meat 'n' three at "Po folks"
Moon Pies
Goo-Goo clusters.
grits
fried okra

What else is there? You know, those things that you are required to eat al least once.
(Like if you go to New England, you have to have fresh-off-the-boat seafood.)

|  IP: Logged

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 09-10-2000 10:13 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brother Dave Gardner says you gotta have an RC Cola to go with those Moon Pies

Gracia L. Babbidge
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-11-2000 12:54 AM      Profile for Gracia L. Babbidge   Author's Homepage   Email Gracia L. Babbidge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
mmm....RC Cola... I drink that stuff a lot, and I was born in Maine, and have lived in Maine my whole life!

Hehe...one New England thing that everyone ought to try is a cola called Moxie! It certainly qualifies as something that is an acquired taste! My dad and my brother both drink it like it's going out of style, but I can't tolerate the stuff beyond one sip... *shudder*

Someone 'from away' have also told me that playing cribbage is a New England thing also, this same person then proceeded to tell me how much he did not like the game at all. It probably didn't help that I had not only beaten him at the game, but had skunked him as well. (For those clueless in the ways of playing cribbage, someone is skunked if they lose by 30 or more points, double skunked if they lose by 60 or more points.)

In the past I have seen many "You know you're from Maine when..." lists, here are a few I remember from those lists that involve food:
-You've ever eaten baked beans at a grange supper
-You've ever made a meal out of a Jordan's Red Dye hotdog, a bag of Humpty Dumpty potato chips, and a can of Moxie
-You've ever argued the comparative quality of fried dough
-Even your high school cafeteria made a good clam chowder
-You know that Moody's Diner does not take credit cards!
-You've ever had a moose-meat burger
-You wonder why there aren't fried clam shacks elsewhere in the country
-You (or a friend) ever packed Deering Ice Cream cones as a summer job
-You know what tomalley is...
(The spelling may not be 100% on that, I know what the stuff is, know how it's pronounced, I'm iffy on the spelling though. )

OK...I'll shut up now, or I could ramble for a long time!

~Gracia

Tom Ferreira
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-11-2000 06:37 AM      Profile for Tom Ferreira   Email Tom Ferreira   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gracia-
How DARE you talk about the food in Maine and not mention ham italians. Damn, you can get them at every convenience store on every corner, though I prefer Amato's.
I usually get up to the Portland area every couple of weeks, so this is a must have.
Moxie is hideous stuff, though speaking of RC Cola, those of us putting in those long days should enjoy the new RC Edge-it's like Jolt, only with even more caffeine.
My favorite regional foods are in Rhode Island-weiners with meat sauce, and Rocky Point clam cakes and chowder. I could eat this stuff every day.

Gracia L. Babbidge
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-11-2000 12:58 PM      Profile for Gracia L. Babbidge   Author's Homepage   Email Gracia L. Babbidge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom -

Oh yeah... ham italians... I knew something was eluding my memory in the wee hours of the morning! Heh, it was even on one of those lists...so here ya go:
'You know you're from Maine when you crave ham italian sandwiches at least once a week!'

I've tried that RC Edge cola. It's good stuff! And the 20 oz bottles of it can usually be purchased inexpensively, like two of said bottles for $0.89, I've not seen it available in the 2L bottles.

For sandwiches though, I prefer Subway to Amato's, but in general I like Amato's better, Sam's is just...well, blah. I've never really cared for Sam's. And there are three or four Sam's locations in this area, three Subway locations as well, but only one Amato's.

~Gracia

------------------
In some cultures, what I do is considered normal.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 09-11-2000 03:09 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Had the RC Cola but the store didn't have Moon Pies. Had to substitute a bag of fried pork rinds.

I've only been here for a week but I can feel my arteries hardening already!

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 09-11-2000 08:00 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of local soft-drinks, there's a drink bottled in my hometown (Winchester, KY) that area kids are weened on. It's called Ale-8-1, or just "Ale-8" for short (or, if you really want to sound like a Kentuckian, it's "L-8"). A local family started brewing... er.. bottling this stuff in the 1920s. It's actually pretty good and tastes like a sweet ginger ale. It sells like there's no tomorrow, but they stubbornly refuse to market it anywhere but central Kentucky. They only recently made it to a handful of stores in Louisville!

I always bring back several cases, whenever I get up there.
http://www.ale8-one.com/ They sell it in cans online, but it's a little on the pricey side that way.

------------------
Better Projection Pays!

Tom Ferreira
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-12-2000 08:32 AM      Profile for Tom Ferreira   Email Tom Ferreira   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gracia-
Prefer Subway to Amato's? Good God, girl, how can you call yourself a Mainer? I hope you like OOB pizza and french fries. By the way, Humpty Dumpty makes clam flavored potato chips. I've never had the guts to try them.
Speaking of regional soda, we have a closeout/discount supermarket around here that actually sells Faygo soda upon occasion-I'm hooked on it(the black cherry is great),but to buy it in an actual supermarket, you have to go to Detroit.

Joe Grace
Film Handler

- posted 09-12-2000 01:38 PM      Profile for Joe Grace   Email Joe Grace   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ms. Gracia,
How can you mention Moxie and not Moxie fest? I am sure you have heard of it but if you havent it is a day where there is a parade in lisbon falls and there is Moxie flavored ice cream, and other Moxie flavored stuff. I am a big Moxie lover myself and if I catch people bringing Moxie into the theater then I usualy give them a break on the "No outside food or drink rule".

Mr. Tom,
I like Subway a lot also, but the only reason for that is because it is at most 200 yards away from my theater. But Amatoes sure does have a great Calzone! I have never heard of Clam flavored Humpty Dumpty potato chips sounds good though!

Jolt Cola usualy gets me hyper, but I dont see that all that much up here. That could be a southern thing, but I am not sure.

Joe

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 09-12-2000 08:01 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just went to this place today.

It's on I-75, just south of the Tennessee / Kentucky state line, in a town called "Jellico".

It's called BUCKNER'S TROUGH!
Stuffed deer heads on the wall and everything. The ribs were fallin'-off-the-bone tender! The sauce was good but it was 'vinegar-y'. Haven't had that kind before. I'll have to try it again.

But, talk about LOCAL COLOR!!!

Gracia L. Babbidge
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-13-2000 05:51 AM      Profile for Gracia L. Babbidge   Author's Homepage   Email Gracia L. Babbidge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom -
I prefer Subway to Amato's only for sandwiches.

...And no, I do not call myself a true Mainer. No one truely from Maine ever calls themself a 'Mainer' as it is what people from away call us.
I call myself a Maine-iac.

Joe -
Believe me, I know what Moxie Fest is. I grew up in Bowdoin, which is right up the road from Lisbon Falls.
...And I think that we have met, albeit only briefly. But such is the way of things working for a small chain, at different locations!

~Gracia

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 09-13-2000 06:46 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, this is the test:

How do you pronounce these names?

1) "Bowdoin"
2) "Worcester"
3) "Peabody"

If you're not from N.E. you'll probably fail miserably!

1) "Bowd'n"
2) "Woostah"
3) "Peeb'dy"

Tom Ferreira
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-13-2000 09:05 PM      Profile for Tom Ferreira   Email Tom Ferreira   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to manage the late, lamented General Cinema in Peabody. Believe me, I WISH I didn't know how to pronounce Peabody-then maybe I wouldn't have had the worst six months of my life. I just ran across some old photos of that place tonight. The decor was a beautiful, late 60's motif. Too bad I was there in 1990.

Gracia L. Babbidge
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-14-2000 01:48 AM      Profile for Gracia L. Babbidge   Author's Homepage   Email Gracia L. Babbidge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Humpty Dumpty makes some interesting flavors for potato chips...

Cheese & Onion - mmm - I like em!

Ketchup - mmm - sounds weirds, tastes good

Clam (or perhaps its Cream Cheese & Clam) - mmm - eliminates the need for clam dip! Be brave, try them!

There are others, but for the most part its the same old same old, salt & vinegar, sour cream, bbq...
I like bbq chips well enough, but the salt & vinegar, and the sour cream, to me, are just plain nasty!

But if you take your potato chip munching seriously, track down either Maine Coast or Cape Cod chips - they're kettle cooked! mm mm mm Thick & crunchy.

~Gracia

------------------
In some cultures, what I do is considered normal.

Oscar Neundorfer
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-14-2000 06:27 AM      Profile for Oscar Neundorfer   Author's Homepage   Email Oscar Neundorfer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul said:

>Brother Dave Gardner says you gotta have an RC Cola to go with those Moon Pies <

This is another topic entirely, but I am always amazed when someone mentions the late, great Brother Dave Gardner, one of the finest comedians to have ever lived! I guess he kind of fits with the topic of southern food because he was southern food for the soul. But so FEW people even know who he was.

Oscar

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: