Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Strange occurrances... (Page 0)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Strange occurrances...
Colin Wiseley
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-16-2001 09:04 PM      Profile for Colin Wiseley   Email Colin Wiseley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For an interesting ghost story about the Lyric Theatre, where I work, check out the link below:

http://www.thelyric.com/scripts/ghosts.php3

As for myself, I've never seen or heard anything unusual but I have scared myself a couple of times. One time I was setting the lights for stage show that we were having and I had my back to the stage and I brought down all of the lights in the theater so it was pitch black except for the red glow of the exit lights. I turned around to get something behind me and I saw what looked like someone standing there silhouetted by the exit light with a hat and jacket on but no head or arms or legs.

Needless to say I brought the lights back up as fast as I could and then looked back. It turns out that one of the props for the show was a hat rack with a hat on the top of it and a jacket on a hanger hanging on it and that's what I saw. It gave me a good scare.

------------------
Colin Wiseley
Lyric Theatre
Blacksburg, VA
www.thelyric.com

|  IP: Logged

Peter Berrett
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-17-2001 02:39 AM      Profile for Peter Berrett   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Berrett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After doing some more Internet research it appears that quite a few theatres & cinemas in Melbourne (Australia) are haunted.

Can any Melbourne based current or former projectionists comment further?
http://www.haunted.com.au/news/hsun05.html
http://www.castleofspirits.com/melbghost.html

The ABBA musical Mamma Mia is currently showing at the Princess Theatre. One wonders whether a few patrons will be calling out 'SOS' if they see Federici!

cheers Peter

Andy Muirhead
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-17-2001 08:08 PM      Profile for Andy Muirhead   Email Andy Muirhead   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure our cinema is haunted, although it has great potential as it is about 100 (or more) years old, was an old theatre and screens 2+3 are located in the old fly tower, where scenery etc. used to be kept.

Funny thing though is that sometimes the films just decide to start themselves! this hasen't happened many times. By the way we don't have a timer system, we have to be there to press 'START'. This has happened a few times, the first time while two of us were standing having a chat so we witnessed it. Maybe Jonathan Worthing can shed some light as we have JACRO automatation in every screen.

I would have no problem accrediting this to a technical prob if i hadn't had a freaky supernatural experience staying at a staff members house late last year!

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 01-13-2005 02:47 PM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 1305 days since the last post.

Jason M Miller
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-13-2005 02:47 PM      Profile for Jason M Miller   Email Jason M Miller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, my small 4 screen theater is farley old, it used to be an hotel and a 1 screen theater. There has always been rumors about it being haunted.

Well the past couple of days it has picked up, a couple of days ago I was threading a movie and I saw a shadow behind me from the reflection in the port-hole. And last night one of my co-workers had heard the sound of keys a couple of times and a sticky-poo flew off the plater and hit her in the back of the leg. Also yesterday my cleaner screwed up and the mesh came off the rewind end. And as I was threading the film popped out of the rewind controll roller on the platter and the film was twisted. I am going to try to find some papers on the history of the theater and see what has happend.

Christian Volpi
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-15-2005 08:33 PM      Profile for Christian Volpi   Author's Homepage   Email Christian Volpi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They say the alley next to the Boigraph is haunted by Dillinger and the "lady in red."

Mark Andrews
Film Handler

- posted 01-15-2005 10:54 PM      Profile for Mark Andrews     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think my theater is haunted.
The other night when I went to thread up one of the projectors the center platter was still spinning. When I removed the brain the platter was still spinning. There was no film touching the platter and the brain was in my hand. I called down to the manager on duty to tell her something weird was happening and she then had to mention the ghost that everyone talks about. Of course I got a little freaked out and went down stairs for half an hour.

Barry Martin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-15-2005 11:14 PM      Profile for Barry Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At the 20 screen I worked in Mass. we joked about restless spirits, but one night I was convinced. It was probalby 12am-1am and the end of the night. I went to shut down the last projector at one end of the very large booth. As I'm walking to it, I notice the light on the other side of an emergency exit door is off for the first time since we opened the theater. I know this because there are small windows in the two emergency exit doors for the booth and nobody ever went in there really. Thinking maybe a breaker tripped or something I just kept walking toward the projector.

As I got near the door I looked in the window and saw something in the reflection standing over me. Spun around thinking it might be one of the other projectionists or managers playing a joke, no such luck. Now that the equipment is shut down and it's deadly quiet in the booth, I'm a little unnerved. Job finished for the night, I start to walk back to the main hallway and when I get up the 3 stairs and take the turn into the main way and get about 50 feet away from the turn I took, I hear a HUGE crash that I could only describe as film cans being dropped. Didn't really want to investigate, so I just left for the night.

The next morning I came in and when I went to power up that end of the booth the 8 film cans we had stored in that length of hallway that I spotted the "thing" in the window were scattered across the hallway. I didn't tell anyone the night of the incident, so it wasn't somebody pulling my leg. Nothing really happened in the few months that followed before the union lockout, but it was fun when that projector was the last to be shut down again.

John Hegel
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-16-2005 01:43 AM      Profile for John Hegel   Author's Homepage   Email John Hegel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To this day I still think the Mills theater in my home town is haunted.

On our closing night we were rushing to get everything out of the building, and most of it was going to the dumpster. The dumpster was located in back of this single screen so we were going through the emergency exit which also has the access to the basement.

On my last trip out the back door I herd that unmistakable sound of the boiler room door slamming shut. That was enough for me to call it a night. I would like to think it was the wind, but this door had a weight and chain system to keep it closed and latched. On top of that the boiler wouldn’t run if the door was open.

So whatever we had in that building that would play with the lights, and slam the boiler room door was pretty creepy.

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 10-30-2006 03:17 PM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 652 days since the last post.

Hillary Charles
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-30-2006 03:17 PM      Profile for Hillary Charles   Email Hillary Charles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's that time of the year again, so I thought I'd bump this up. Wish I had a story as creepy as any of these. Anyone have any others?

Christopher Duvall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-30-2006 06:44 PM      Profile for Christopher Duvall   Email Christopher Duvall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For the 20 years I have been in the business, every building that I have worked in, some moron claims that the booth is haunted. This goes true for new builds as well. I try to keep telling to come out of the dark ages and look around the booth...what do you see? Lots of shiny reflective portholes reflecting random light from projectors on the walls...there is your ghost num-nuts...

Now granted, a powered down booth can be a bit creepy since it is usually making noise when running and it is DEATHLY quiet when nothing is running. Can be a bit unnerving, but no ghost. However, screwing with believers can add hours of enjoyment watching them wet themselves over imaginary crap.

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-30-2006 06:53 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have spent more nights alone in different booths than I care to remember and I have never once experienced anything supernatural. I did have an encounter with a grasshopper once, I'll take ghosts, vampires or werewolves anyday over a grasshopper.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-30-2006 07:45 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wish some of the booths I worked were haunted. That would make them more interesting. The closest booth to haunted was the Madstone Tamarac, and I can't really remember why. Not sure why a ghost would want to hang out there watching the crappy movies we showed. Paying customers sure didn't.

Chad M Calpito
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-30-2006 11:03 PM      Profile for Chad M Calpito   Author's Homepage   Email Chad M Calpito   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I heard a story once from one of my projectionists that when they were in one of the auditoriums, he saw a ghost standing next to Projector #5 peering into auditorium #5. He asked around if anyone else was in the booth and nobody went in there. Of course, the only people that can go in there are those who are certified and have a booth key. Anyway, he was freaked out. Personally, I haven't seen any ghosts, so, I can't vouch for this, but, I did feel something else other than me in there at times. Quite freaky, but, that's ok.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: