Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » New virus (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: New virus
Frank Rapisardi
Film Handler

- posted 10-07-2000 03:26 AM      Profile for Frank Rapisardi   Email Frank Rapisardi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just wanted to pass this along.There is a new virus out there which there is no remedy for"It Takes Guts To Say Jesus" according to America Online ;it will wipe out all your files.In addition;the computer will not,cannot work.Please be careful!!!

------------------

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-07-2000 10:52 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
POLL

I'm curious, but with all the viruses out there, how many here actually still execute them? I stopped doing that a while back. I don't care if it's funny or not...it's not worth crashing my computer.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 10-07-2000 11:22 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've had five computers over the past ten years and have NEVER had a problem with a virus. My secret is: Don't open ANY e-mail attachments unless you are DAMN SURE what you're getting.

I am not much for downloading programs and the like (connecetions here in the sticks are too sloooooooow for that), so my "exposure" is admittedly lower than some...I don't play games or use things like screensavers, "themes," etc. either.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 10-07-2000 03:26 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 'It takes guts to say Jesus' virus is a hoax. For full details, see:
www.syamtec.com/avcenter/venc/data/jesus-hoax.html

IMHO, it's good netiquette to check out a virus warning to see if it's a hoax before passing it on. In particular, be very suspicious of warnings which say 'tell everyone' or words to that effect. There are a number of reputable sites you can use to do this; my favourite is:
www.sarc.com/avcenter/hoax.html

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 10-07-2000 03:33 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad - I think you have a server problem. I got 'internal server error' three times when I attempted to send my last post, but when your system finally said it had accepted it, the message was there three times! Sorry...

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 10-07-2000 05:15 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, there's a typo in the link in my earlier (three times duplicated) post. The link should be:
www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/jesus-hoax.html

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-08-2000 02:41 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
The server error is a temporary issue. I made a note of it somewhere (who knows where though) on the forum, but my hands are tied right now on getting the hookup for the new server. It shouldn't be much longer. In the meantime, just hit your back button twice and then right click and select "reload frame". Your post will then appear.

Martin Frandsen
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-14-2000 11:11 AM      Profile for Martin Frandsen   Email Martin Frandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't all email hosts and web hotels etc. have virus protector programmes?

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 10-15-2000 04:38 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Depends on what you mean by "virus protector programs." Most mail servers are not configured to scan incoming mail attachments for virii, if that is what you're asking. If there's a big issue (like the "ILOVEU" worm from last spring), many ISPs will, however, auto-bounce mail that contains it (usually keyed off the file size or subject header), though.

The servers themselves don't generally require anti-virus software, since most server-grade operating systems (Unix, VMS, OS/390, etc.) have sufficient file permissions that virii don't really exist for those platforms. Further, even with a WinNT server, if the admin is clueful enough not to arbitrarily run executable code that originated from an untrusted source, there really isn't any need for anti-virus software either.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 10-15-2000 05:48 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not to say that this is a virus proof solution, (nothing really is) but my anti-virus strategy can be summed up in three letters... M-A-C.

Jason Burroughs
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-16-2000 04:32 PM      Profile for Jason Burroughs   Email Jason Burroughs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My solution, Never, Never, Never open a attahcment that has the *.VBS extention!! Best rule of thumb, unless you know exactly who it is comming from, and what it is, simply delete it. If it was imporant, who ever sent it to you will either re-send it or find annother way to contact you. I have not gotten a virus in over 10 years, only time I had a virus was when I ran a BBS many moons ago and a user uploaded a virus without my knowing.

Bernard Tonks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-15-2002 07:43 PM      Profile for Bernard Tonks   Email Bernard Tonks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A new virus has just been discovered that has been classified by Microsoft as the most destructive ever! This virus was discovered yesterday afternoon by McAfee and no vaccine has yet been developed.
This virus simply destroys Sector Zero from the hard disk, where vital information for its functioning are stored.

This virus acts in the following manner: It sends itself automatically to all contacts on your list with the title "A Card for You".

As soon as the supposed virtual card is opened, the computer freezes so that the user has to reboot. When the ctrl+alt+del keys or the reset button are pressed, the virus destroys Sector Zero, thus permanently destroying the hard disk. Yesterday in just a few hours this virus caused panic in New York, according to news broadcast by CNN. This alert was received by an employee of Microsoft itself.

So don't open any mails with subject: "A Virtual Card for You."

As soon as you get the mail, delete it!! Even if you know the sender or If you have to Confirm the e-mail withthe person before you open it, just to be safe, do it.!!!

Please pass this mail to all of your friends.

Forward this to everyone in your address book. I'm sure most people like myself, would rather receive this 25 times than not at all.

Also: Intel announced that a new and very destructive virus was discovered recently. If you receive an email called "An Internet Flower For You",Do not open it!!Delete it right away! This virus removes all dynamic libraries (.DLL files) from your computer. Your computer will not be able to boot up!!

Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 04-15-2002 08:33 PM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was fortunate that a friend in Pittsburgh informed me that one of my off color jokes contained a virus. I took this joke off the internet. Matter of fact, my computer was acting funny and I sent a note to Brad as I thought I had destroyed Film-tech.com. Today my computer was frozen for seven hours and I finally boooted and all is well.

Let's be carfull out in the world of Scott and Joe.

Now everyone reading this should go immediately to the closest bar and order a Beefeater Gobson straight up. If you don't like it send it to me.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 04-15-2002 09:22 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
FYI, the "Card for You" thing is a hoax:
http://vmyths.com/hoax.cfm?id=222&page=3

Gerard S. Cohen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-15-2002 09:41 PM      Profile for Gerard S. Cohen   Email Gerard S. Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

Bernard gave another example of a virus hoax, if you didn't get his
spoof. "An Internet Flower for You" appears on the hoax web page
(op. cit.) under the words "Flower for You." I haven't spotted
"A Card For You" there, but suspect it might be listed on other sites.
Any Search Engine will provide lists of hoax and urban legend sites,
some run by the US government as a service to its citizens and businesses. Supplying them to your email correspondents doesn't always help--I'm still receiving recycled hoaxes from people I've
informed, kidded, and scolded for the past two or three years. Usually
the same people forward emails without removing the address lists of
all those who forwarded them in the past, no matter how often I beg them not to.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: