Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Bloews Sillyplex

Author Topic: Bloews Sillyplex
Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-10-2000 11:26 PM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry to steal the joke I read it somewhere on here and thought it was perfect! well anyways. Tonight I attended the 9:15 Showing Of Meet The Parents at The Loews Liberty Tree Mall Cineplex 20. First off it was in theatre 7 which has a 92 seat capacity and a throw of about 25 to 50 ft. (im bieng kind of generous here) a 1.85 screen ( was Ok cause the movie was flat but why build houses limited to flat!!!) when the movie finally started it was badly out of focus (they use the Strong CNA Automation so no one is there when it started at least it was in frame thank god!) I did not leave the theatre to complain for 2 reasons 1. I was on a date and didnt want to piss her off by playing "Projectionist" outside of work. 2.Im just sick and tired of having to do my job on my days off I have enough to do to run my booth than to tell others how to run thiers. (also im sick of the dirty looks from the managers and the stupid excuses they give me when they know im an operator because i come at least twice a month to pick up prints they think im stupid no they think im like a loews operator)no one ever fixed the focus. The focus of the lamp was deplorable I think it had more to do with the short throw but geez I hate dark corners. Also all the aperature plates for all 20 screens in this theatre are cut wrong the picture in all 20 theatres is a little off the screen on one side and off to the masking on the others! Its too bad though it could be a really nice theatre. The head projectionist is a great guy who does a great job its just everyone else! (thats why hes coming to work for us!)oh well good I hope thier presentation stays this bad good! people can just come right across the highway and pay only $4.00 to see our second run movies that look better than the first run ones. Id love to say that I wont go back but I know I will and pay $8.50! Oh well...

Sorry for the rant

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-10-2000 11:52 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. 92 seats in ONE auditorium??? Damn they sure make 'em big! Is that even possible?

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-11-2000 12:52 AM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I dont know I think they had to tear down some walls and build an addition to get it that big! They also put the seets as close together as possible but its OK cause its STADIUM SEATIING with DIGITAL sound (SDDS!) so that makes it ALL OK

Jason Burroughs
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-16-2000 08:38 AM      Profile for Jason Burroughs   Email Jason Burroughs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Blows Shittyplex Keystone Park has about 4 of those itty bitty auditoriums. It is very difficult to keep a decent focus in those auditoriums due to focal legnth etc. It is also difficult for some people to properly focus a lamp in there without burning the film, but is still no excuse for dark corners. Often in those small auditoriums they sreens have to be tilted up to ease the keystoning, although this dosen't eliminate it. And on top of that they are TOP movable masking, leaving a flat picture very dim, and a scope picture exceedingly bright. The smaller size screen seems to magnify this.

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-16-2000 08:44 AM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I worked at a theater that had an 82, 86, and 2 99-seat auditoriums. It was built into an existing building (on the 3rd floor of 5), so there were these huge posts that you couldn't exactly put in the middle of an auditorium. So, the auditorium had to stop at the post, and a new one started on the other side.

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-16-2000 09:45 AM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike, that wasn't a Rogers theatre was it?

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-16-2000 01:21 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At the Rialto, we are getting film rammed down our throats. There is more film to run than theatres to run them in. We are a five-plex and my partner wishes we were an eight-plex. I wish we were a six-plex.

Anyway if we could build from scratch, we would have a couple of nice 300 seat auditoriums. (We have one now where you sell to 250 before everybody starts wanting refunds because they can't find a seat. If it were better designed, perhaps we could sell to 280.) Then we would want a couple of 150 houses then we could use 100 seaters or down to 70 seats. A lot of films we open only require a small house to play in.

We have all seen those screening rooms with 10 seats that look wonderfull. I am sure that you can design a great 70 seat house that looks great and has marvalous presentation. The one thing it shouldn't remind people of is there livingroom. If it is designed correctly you will never hear, "Shit our film is in one of those crappy small houses!"

What you want to hear is "Damn, you mean you can only seat 70 people in here. I'll bet I could get 150 seats in here."

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-16-2000 04:57 PM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, it was The Palace in Kansas City (Cinemark). One of these days, when I'm back in town, I'm gonna get some pictures of the theater to post. It's one of the most beautiful theaters I've ever seen.

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-16-2000 11:51 PM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Top Moveable making we have that in two houses at my theatre but the picture is still better than loews. Loews doesnt even have that! they can only show flat movies in thier small houses its frieking unbelievable!!! on of my bosses an ex loews operator has his own Loews Hate Page http://www.angelfire.com/ma/jaylizottespage/loews.html

Rachel Gilardi
Madam Moderator

- posted 04-08-2002 12:09 AM      Profile for Rachel Gilardi   Email Rachel Gilardi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sean, now...you work there.

Tell us how much nicer its gotten.

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-08-2002 06:50 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have some mini's in Edinburgh. 77, 66 and 40 seats. Basically another screen was added in void space in one building, and in another place two were added in what had been shop units to either side. All three are nice cozy little theatres. Picture and sound are superb, save for the 40 seater, the sound system in dire need of replacement.

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-08-2002 02:49 PM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I dont know if its gotten nicer rachel, but my paycheck has gone up and so has my blood pressure

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: